Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 01:02:30 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 571883 times)  Share 

shazzzzzz

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2016, 05:50:10 pm »
The Australian Human Rights Commission is a legal response (not non-legal) right?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #151 on: July 26, 2016, 06:08:05 pm »
Hey guys how would i prepare for the essays in my trials as in what should i remember etc i know i have to remember case law/media articles and legislation however since there is so much stuff to remember i feel overwhelmed and not sure what to do.

Thanks

It definitely is really overwhelming to study for legal! I found it the most overwhelming subject to study for. I suggest that you start with the themes and challenges to get your brain into gear. You can find a resource on the core themes and challenges here

My way of studying was actually writing out my study notes, for like, the second or third time. So I mean, I had study notes, but I'd hand write new ones on palm cards or larger paper. So I'd go through each and every dot point and write out all that I knew. I know it sounds tedious, but it meant that I learnt the syllabus in chronological order, which helped with memorising the syllabus itself, and it also meant that nothing was left out of my study.

Alternatively, if you are struggling with a particular section or dot point, I think you should focus considerable energy on making sure that is up to scratch. It's better to focus on a struggle point rather than re-enforce something that you know quite well. If an essay was asked on what you know quite well, you could do it! If a question was asked on what you're struggling with, you'll be kicking yourself for not focusing on that in your study time.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

leila_ameli

• Adventurer
« Reply #152 on: July 26, 2016, 08:26:11 pm »
Heyyyyy

Just wondering do you have any tips on how i should structure my 25 marker crime essay if the topic is on issues of compliance and non-compliance in regard to criminal law
 :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2016, 08:29:02 pm »
Hi! I was wondering if you could please help me with this human rights question?

'Outline how human rights have changed and developed over time.' (4 marks)

What I'm thinking is focusing on a particular human rights like freedom from slavery then focus on the developments for that particular right with reference to international and domestic legislations. How much information  and what crucial points would we need to incorporate for this question? :)

Hey anniez! Welcome to the forums!  ;D let me know if you need any help finding anything :)

I like your approach to this question! However, this asks about the development of human rights in general, so you would also need to discuss some broader points:
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd Generation Rights w/ Examples
- The United Nations and the UDHR
- ICCPR and ICESCR

You can also talk about the historical development of rights, but my interpretation would be that it requires both, you'd need to cover general and then specific.

That said, this is an outline question. You don't need much information here, you just need to sketch in general terms. I'd approach it something like this:

- Human rights historically (bring in your slavery examples)
- United Nations and 1st Generation Rights
- 2nd Generation Rights
- Collective Rights

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #154 on: July 26, 2016, 08:35:59 pm »
The Australian Human Rights Commission is a legal response (not non-legal) right?

Sure is! Legislated in the: Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986

itswags98

• Trailblazer
« Reply #155 on: July 26, 2016, 10:21:54 pm »
Heya!!

Hope you remember me from last time! hehe. anyways. My original legal teacher has been replaced with a new teacher that in my opinion is a VERY harsh marker. i received 68% on the assessment task i submitted (still like 12%) above the next mark in class. My question is, should i push further to get more marks? Some of the feedback doesnt really make that much sense. For example, i was marked down for using a 2003 case for a DESCRIBE question as that it was apparently too 'old'. This did not require a judgement.
That said, im first ranked in the class ( by like 15%) is it worth it to pursue the extra marks? or should i just let it go?
Goal of 85 ATAR. Lets do eht

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #156 on: July 26, 2016, 10:34:36 pm »
Heya!!

Hope you remember me from last time! hehe. anyways. My original legal teacher has been replaced with a new teacher that in my opinion is a VERY harsh marker. i received 68% on the assessment task i submitted (still like 12%) above the next mark in class. My question is, should i push further to get more marks? Some of the feedback doesnt really make that much sense. For example, i was marked down for using a 2003 case for a DESCRIBE question as that it was apparently too 'old'. This did not require a judgement.
That said, im first ranked in the class ( by like 15%) is it worth it to pursue the extra marks? or should i just let it go?

This is a really tough situation. I think you should approach your teacher and specifically challenge them on a few things, in a constructive and polite way of course. But, even though you want to be respectful, it doesn't mean that you can't actually say that you think you deserve more marks. Even though your rank is great, you want your assessment mark to also be great. If the teacher is defensive, dismissive, etc, then I would consider taking it to a curriculum authority in your school. Because that kind of dismissive tone usually means that a teacher feels threatened (this applies to people in your life everywhere, not just teachers), which potentially means you are correct in your suggestions. Of course, we hope that your teacher is really kind and dedicated and will respond well to your request for clarification. If that's the case, then even if you don't gain the extra marks, you're likely to receive valuable feedback. I don't think a 2003 case is too old for a describe question if the case has unparalleled importance. But, this could just be your teacher pushing you to find even newer stuff, so that even the most simple of questions reflect a very modern understanding of the legal system.

There's usually method behind the madness ;) Always try and keep a great relationship with your teacher!

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #157 on: July 27, 2016, 08:56:03 am »
Here's a quickie: is UNICEF a legal or non-legal response??
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #158 on: July 29, 2016, 01:17:33 pm »
Quick question, how would i study for the family unit and also how would i answer this question

Explain why the emphasis placed on the best needs of the child by family legislation is a reflection of the rule of law?

Rule of law means procedural fairness and no one is above the law to me but how does the emphasis placed on the best needs of the child a reflection of this ?
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #159 on: July 29, 2016, 02:32:26 pm »
Here's a quickie: is UNICEF a legal or non-legal response??

Hey Lauradf36! Bit of a tricky one, but I would say it is a non-legal response, it's work is primarily humanitarian relief and not focused on the adaptation, application or formulation of law, so, non-legal!  ;D

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #160 on: July 29, 2016, 05:39:47 pm »
+1
Hey Lauradf36! Bit of a tricky one, but I would say it is a non-legal response, it's work is primarily humanitarian relief and not focused on the adaptation, application or formulation of law, so, non-legal!  ;D

Ty! That's what I had it under in my notes, but I know it is part of the UN too, so I wanted to check!
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

Elenaa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #161 on: July 30, 2016, 01:21:20 am »
Hi !

So i wanted to use the recent four corners footage of the juvenile detention centres (http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/legal-action-against-nt-government-to-be-stepped-up-following-four-corners-footage-20160726-gqe4sb.html) as a media article, but i'm not quite sure how to integrate it into my argument. Like do i talk about the ineffectiveness of the legal system (penalties for children) when dealing with young offenders?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #162 on: July 30, 2016, 10:25:12 am »
Hi !

So i wanted to use the recent four corners footage of the juvenile detention centres (http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/legal-action-against-nt-government-to-be-stepped-up-following-four-corners-footage-20160726-gqe4sb.html) as a media article, but i'm not quite sure how to integrate it into my argument. Like do i talk about the ineffectiveness of the legal system (penalties for children) when dealing with young offenders?

Good to see you are using this! So, if you wanted to talk about how the juvenile detention centres may not actually increase the levels of a seamless integration back into society, (or rehabilitation, as a purpose of punishment) then you could say "As Four Corners revealed in July of 2016 in their exposure of the Don Dale detention centre...."

There's also a lot of very impressive commentary surrounding this available online. So you may only use the documentary as a way of grounding your argument in reality, you may use the other articles available as a way of evaluating what is happening in Don Dale.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #163 on: July 30, 2016, 10:26:49 am »
+1
Quick question, how would i study for the family unit and also how would i answer this question

Explain why the emphasis placed on the best needs of the child by family legislation is a reflection of the rule of law?

Rule of law means procedural fairness and no one is above the law to me but how does the emphasis placed on the best needs of the child a reflection of this ?

I would take it to essentially mean that historically, children were overlooked for their special needs in legislation. Children were treated as adults, or they were swept under the rug altogether. Here, the question is acknowledging that they have special needs to be considered and children should not be swept under the rug when dealing with family issues, hence the rule of law applies. :)

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2016, 02:26:25 pm »
Hey guys was wondering if anyone had some notes on bail ( its reforms and such )

Thanks
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88