Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:26:18 am

Author Topic: Julia Gillard appointed chairwoman of BeyondBlue  (Read 1300 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Julia Gillard appointed chairwoman of BeyondBlue
« on: March 22, 2017, 12:36:40 am »
+9
I think Julia Gillard's career after being Prime Minister is continually being carved out as one of the most spectacular legacies of any previous Prime Minister. She's the first former Prime Minister to lead a not-for-profit organisation since Malcolm Fraser launched CARE Australia in 1987.
She was appointed chair of the Global Partnership for Education in 2014, the same year she joined the board of beyondblue. I think her continued commitment to causes she supported during her time in politics, after her time as Prime Minister, is a real testament to her character and leadership ability.

Ms Gillard pointed out that her father's career as a psychiatric nurse really shaped her understanding of mental health issues from early on. I hope that this will be great for BeyondBlue. I hope that Gillard's high profile and activism will drive mental health to the forefront of many more national discussions. I think this can surely only mean good things for BeyondBlue and the people the organisation supports.

If you're interested in an article or a video interview: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/former-prime-minister-julia-gillard-named-as-beyond-blue-chair-replacing-jeff-kennett-20170321-gv2r81.html
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Re: Julia Gillard appointed chairwoman of BeyondBlue
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 01:06:47 am »
+2
I didn't attend the school at the time, but she came to my school in 2011 to open up the new Science Centre. Some of my future classmates had a brief discussion with her about mental health awareness - they said it was something she seemed quite passionate about (or as much as you can express to thirteen year olds in four minutes), so this is something I am happy to read about.

🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 03:20:05 am »
I didn't attend the school at the time, but she came to my school in 2011 to open up the new Science Centre. Some of my future classmates had a brief discussion with her about mental health awareness - they said it was something she seemed quite passionate about (or as much as you can express to thirteen year olds in four minutes), so this is something I am happy to read about.

How cool's that!
She's continually impressed me. A person of integrity!

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 07:30:32 am »
+4
I could not admire this woman any more than I do.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 09:06:09 am »
I semi-remember that day, back in year 7! (Not that I was in that discussion- I think I was stuck in a drama class at the time! :P )

She truly is an admirable person <3
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 02:39:33 am »
+2
This is a comment Gillard wrote for SMH about her being ready to step back into the spotlight, and using her position to the advantage of beyondblue.

"But I am intending to do this without stepping back into partisan politics. Yes, you will hear me on the importance of people talking freely and frankly about mental health concerns in an environment without stigma or discrimination. And yes, you will hear me on what the evidence is telling us are the best ways of tackling anxiety, depression and suicide. What you won't hear from me is biased critiques on the mental health policies of political parties."

"We know that around 50 per cent of those with depression and/or anxiety don't get the support they need. In 2015 there were 3027 lives lost to suicide. That means that today, and every day, eight people will die by suicide and an average of 200 will attempt to take their own lives.

These tragic numbers are telling us that we have to keep fighting discrimination and find a way to better support those in need – our friends, families, work colleagues and community members – and those who love and care for them.

So for me as chair, for every member of the beyondblue board, for our fabulous staff and for the many millions of Australians who actively support our mission, there is much to do.

I will be a different kind of chair to Jeff Kennett. He has the unique and honoured status of being the founder. If it hadn't been for Jeff's vision and drive for more than a decade and a half, beyondblue wouldn't be here at all.

Indeed, I couldn't imitate Jeff even if I tried. We are obviously very different people, though very fond of each of other. But it is also now a very different time in the life of beyondblue.

Perhaps the best way to think about it is that Jeff built the boat and set the course. My role, with my board colleagues, will be to have my hands on the tiller as beyondblue holds that course and looks to a further horizon.

Please come on that journey with us."