Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:28:24 pm

Author Topic: GAT 2010 SUGGESTED ANSWERS  (Read 10590 times)

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Re: GAT 2010 SUGGESTED ANSWERS
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2010, 05:03:55 pm »
I originally said she was flirtatious, as she as an hour glass figure and sultry features. However contextually I have looked up John Graham's works and he is very keen on displaying his characters with Roman prowess. The space seems cramped, given her position, although there is no distinctive sense of location to the picture, other than the fact that it is indoors. The painting is classified as abstract expressionist in its color scheme, and its use of a mask-like face, which is reminiscent of some of Picasso's cubist works. Although this work is recognizably human, it seems like a grotesque rendering of the human form. The work seems more like smears or swirls on a canvas rather than a suggestion of someone one might know in life. The smile on the woman's face while she assumes an uncomfortable position, and the cartoon-like yellow, orange, green, and blues make it seem as if the work is a parody of a woman, as if the woman's image is being made intentionally ugly or distorted.

Therefore she is formidable.

When did you have time to look up John Grahams works?

Abdi

Re: GAT 2010 SUGGESTED ANSWERS
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2010, 10:01:27 am »
I originally said she was flirtatious, as she as an hour glass figure and sultry features. However contextually I have looked up John Graham's works and he is very keen on displaying his characters with Roman prowess. The space seems cramped, given her position, although there is no distinctive sense of location to the picture, other than the fact that it is indoors. The painting is classified as abstract expressionist in its color scheme, and its use of a mask-like face, which is reminiscent of some of Picasso's cubist works. Although this work is recognizably human, it seems like a grotesque rendering of the human form. The work seems more like smears or swirls on a canvas rather than a suggestion of someone one might know in life. The smile on the woman's face while she assumes an uncomfortable position, and the cartoon-like yellow, orange, green, and blues make it seem as if the work is a parody of a woman, as if the woman's image is being made intentionally ugly or distorted.

Therefore she is formidable.

When did you have time to look up John Grahams works?

LOLLL I was thinking the same thing! :P