Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:51:48 am

Author Topic: HELP for Advanced English  (Read 2427 times)

taylap

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
HELP for Advanced English
« on: November 10, 2019, 11:44:21 pm »
Hey Guys,

I'm currently a year 12 advanced English student ahhh :/
I am studying 1984 by George Orwell and need lots of help analysing it for the human experience of suffering.

also... if anyone has any good points on connecting and comparing 1984 by George Orwell and Guernica by Pablo Picasso together please help :)

Pearlmilktea

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
  • Respect: +44
Re: HELP for Advanced English
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 01:00:18 pm »
+2
Ok sorry this reply is super late!!

Here's some of the key points for suffering in 1984:
- The Party uses the suffering of individuals to reduce their chance of rebelling (they are physically, mentally and psychologically unable to do so) and therefore ensure that the Party maintains complete control
- Winston suffers through being isolated as one of the only individuals who has retention of the past and can understand that something is wrong with IngSoc society. Due to lacking meaningful relationships and connection with other humans (as individuals are merely vacuous shells of the party filled with propaganda) he suffers in his lonely existence. He also suffers from the guilt and loneliness of not having his family.
- The Party also uses physical and mental suffering in Part 3 - eg torture (O'Brien saying that they wanted to tear human minds to pieces and put them together in shapes of their own choosing). Winston is ultimately broken at the end of the novel.
- All Winston's pleasures are broken - e.g. relationship with Julia, glass paperweight, diary, hope from Goldstein's book = false > joy is short lived
- Individuals are under constant surveillance and suffer from paranoia - e.g. telescreens - Julia & Winston caught at end due to these, Mr Charrington is a fake persona who actually has been watching them

I hope this helps! This was everything I could think of off the top of my head :) Good luck and tell me if you'd like any more clarification!!
HSC 2018: French Continuers (92)
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

ATAR: 98.45
HSC All-rounder :)

Gracie :D