Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:12:43 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469684 times)  Share 

NomotivationF

• Forum Obsessive
  • Serial procrastinator
  • Respect: +93
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #1530 on: October 11, 2019, 09:07:01 pm »
+5
Ahhh I see I see...
So Loftus' findings prove that memory is reconstructive and further add to the original idea of it.
How would I explain reconstruction as a method of retrieval? And how sensitive of a measure is it compared to recall, recognition and relearning??

Alsooo I have a question: which one is more sensitive: free or serial recall, and why? I've known free recall to have the least sensitivity out of all the types of recall, however I've never known why serial recall has better sensitivity.

Free recall is more sensitive than serial recall. In most cases it is harder to retrieve things in order. I like to think of it in terms of stations on a train line; you would likely be able to recall more names of train stations on the train line, rather than recall them in order.
Offering tutoring for Economics, Further Maths and Psychology
(Email [email protected])
(Mobile - 0435076426)

My journey through VCE

How I got a Raw 48 in Economics

2018 - Accounting [42] Further Maths [44]
2019 - English [39] Economics [48] Psychology [44] Maths methods [33]
ATAR - 97.5
2020-2023 - Ba Commerce/Science @Monash

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1531 on: October 11, 2019, 09:58:32 pm »
+5
Free recall is more sensitive than serial recall. In most cases it is harder to retrieve things in order. I like to think of it in terms of stations on a train line; you would likely be able to recall more names of train stations on the train line, rather than recall them in order.

Exactly! It goes:
Least to most sensitive: Serial recall -> Free recall -> Cued recall

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #1532 on: October 11, 2019, 10:09:58 pm »
+3

Thank you everyone! That’s a really good example haha if there’s ever a question on the exam relating to this I’ll remember this :)
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

mckeng

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1533 on: October 23, 2019, 12:18:24 pm »
Is there a difference between negative punishment and response cost or can they be used interchangeably??
Thank you !

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1534 on: October 23, 2019, 12:40:10 pm »
+6
Is there a difference between negative punishment and response cost or can they be used interchangeably??
Thank you !

Response cost occurs when something valuable is taken away to weaken the likelihood a behaviour will occur in the future.
I had a similar question, however negative punishment is not in the study design and therefore I doubt you will need to know about it.
However, if you're curious, they (response cost and negative punishment) can be used interchangeably and mean the same thing. However, refer to the notion as response cost in your exam as that is what the study design explicitly states to use.
psych [50] bio [50]

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1535 on: October 25, 2019, 06:24:40 pm »
Are we allowed to write underneath the provided lines in the exam? Like I know there is a space at the end of the exam provided for extra writing, however when you only have a line, or a few words more to write, is it okay to write it underneath the lines? I almost always have at least a few words extra to write for each question, and flipping to the back of the exam booklet proves to be both tedious and time-consuming when done for each question, especially when I don't have a whole extra paragraph to write and I could just write the answer underneath. I'm worried the examiners won't mark anything that is not written on the lines.
psych [50] bio [50]

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1536 on: October 25, 2019, 06:48:50 pm »
+2
Are we allowed to write underneath the provided lines in the exam? Like I know there is a space at the end of the exam provided for extra writing, however when you only have a line, or a few words more to write, is it okay to write it underneath the lines? I almost always have at least a few words extra to write for each question, and flipping to the back of the exam booklet proves to be both tedious and time-consuming when done for each question, especially when I don't have a whole extra paragraph to write and I could just write the answer underneath. I'm worried the examiners won't mark anything that is not written on the lines.

Yeah that's fine,  just don't write in the do not write space.

yourfriendlyneighbourhoodghost

• Forum Obsessive
  • sleep now and dream, study now and live your dream
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #1537 on: October 28, 2019, 10:01:56 am »
+1
Hi everyone,

This is from the 2015 VCAA exam.

Task 1- naming triangle that starts with I
Task 2 - name another type of triangle
Task 3 - choose out of three options

I chose

3,1,2 to be from most to least sensitive yet the answer is 213

I know relearning is the most sensitive, but it is not in that list. Further, recognition is the second sensitive so how is it B?

Thanks (:
2018: Studio Arts [37]
2019: English [38] Psychology [38] Vis Com [36] Software Development [40] Further Maths [35]
ATAR: 87.95 ❤️

2020-2023 Bachelor of Arts @ Unimelb

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1538 on: October 28, 2019, 11:16:42 am »
+3
Hi everyone,

This is from the 2015 VCAA exam.

Task 1- naming triangle that starts with I
Task 2 - name another type of triangle
Task 3 - choose out of three options

I chose

3,1,2 to be from most to least sensitive yet the answer is 213

I know relearning is the most sensitive, but it is not in that list. Further, recognition is the second sensitive so how is it B?

Thanks (:

The question asks for least to most sensitive, not most to least sensitive. You've answered it the other way round.
psych [50] bio [50]

caitlin.a

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1539 on: October 28, 2019, 01:46:48 pm »
+1
Hey guys!
Is relapse considered a stage in the transtheoretical model of behaviour change or is it just an event that can occur in either the action stage or maintenance stage? Because I came across this MCQ basically describing a scenario where the individual relapses and asks which stage of the model it occurred in. I chose maintenance but the answer was relapse. Please answer if you can and thanks in advance :)

yourfriendlyneighbourhoodghost

• Forum Obsessive
  • sleep now and dream, study now and live your dream
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #1540 on: October 28, 2019, 02:40:40 pm »
+3
The question asks for least to most sensitive, not most to least sensitive. You've answered it the other way round.

Wow, I can't believe I read it so incorrectly. Thanks (:
2018: Studio Arts [37]
2019: English [38] Psychology [38] Vis Com [36] Software Development [40] Further Maths [35]
ATAR: 87.95 ❤️

2020-2023 Bachelor of Arts @ Unimelb

NomotivationF

• Forum Obsessive
  • Serial procrastinator
  • Respect: +93
« Reply #1541 on: October 28, 2019, 03:06:16 pm »
+4
Hey guys!
Is relapse considered a stage in the transtheoretical model of behaviour change or is it just an event that can occur in either the action stage or maintenance stage? Because I came across this MCQ basically describing a scenario where the individual relapses and asks which stage of the model it occurred in. I chose maintenance but the answer was relapse. Please answer if you can and thanks in advance :)

I would recheck this with your teacher but as far as I know relapse is NOT considered a stage in the model, however it can occur duing any stage of the model, and it can set you back into any stage of the model.
Offering tutoring for Economics, Further Maths and Psychology
(Email [email protected])
(Mobile - 0435076426)

My journey through VCE

How I got a Raw 48 in Economics

2018 - Accounting [42] Further Maths [44]
2019 - English [39] Economics [48] Psychology [44] Maths methods [33]
ATAR - 97.5
2020-2023 - Ba Commerce/Science @Monash

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #1542 on: October 28, 2019, 03:06:37 pm »
+3
Hey guys!

So the transtheoretical model of behaviour change consists of 5 stages
1. Pre - Contemplation
2. Contemplation
3. Preparation
4. Action
5. Maintenance

- From my understanding, the individual can enter and exit from any stage of the model.
- Going through all my notes and other resources it doesn't seem that 'relapse' is a stage of the model, but rather a part of it which can occur at any stage.

However, browsing the web, in the new version of the model there is a 6th stage consisting of termination/relapse.

So I guess that may be why relapse was the answer.
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

persistent_insomniac

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
  • School: -------
  • School Grad Year: 2019
« Reply #1543 on: October 28, 2019, 03:50:37 pm »
Hi!
I don't know if this has already been asked but how many pages should we aim to write for the extended response question approximately (especially if you want 7+)? Thanks

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #1544 on: October 28, 2019, 04:09:36 pm »
+3
Hi!
I don't know if this has already been asked but how many pages should we aim to write for the extended response question approximately (especially if you want 7+)? Thanks

There isn't really a set number of pages that you need to write to achieve a certain mark.
More about what you discuss.

Although the best-extended response answers are usually quite long and detailed (more than a page) so as long as you talk about relevant topics and go into thorough detail, you should be fine.
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University