Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:14:17 pm

Author Topic: Double degree or single degree into Grad Medicine  (Read 993 times)  Share 

jimvni

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Double degree or single degree into Grad Medicine
« on: January 16, 2020, 05:47:37 pm »
Hi everyone!

I’m in a bit of a dilemma and needed some advice or inputs on what I should do. So I’m aiming to get into postgrad medicine after completing a bachelor degree. But I don’t know if I should do a double degree (science and information technology) or just science. The reason that I initially planned to do the double degree was because I enjoy IT, and also I thought I would be more employable if medicine doesn’t work out. But I’m worried about the workload, if it’ll lower my chance in getting into medicine and also how they’ll consider both my IT and science marks when I apply.
Can anyone help me out in making my decision? :)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Double degree or single degree into Grad Medicine
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 06:06:59 pm »
+2
Hi everyone!

I’m in a bit of a dilemma and needed some advice or inputs on what I should do. So I’m aiming to get into postgrad medicine after completing a bachelor degree. But I don’t know if I should do a double degree (science and information technology) or just science. The reason that I initially planned to do the double degree was because I enjoy IT, and also I thought I would be more employable if medicine doesn’t work out. But I’m worried about the workload, if it’ll lower my chance in getting into medicine and also how they’ll consider both my IT and science marks when I apply.
Can anyone help me out in making my decision? :)
It doesn't matter too much whether you decide to do a single or double degree (apart from what I assume is an extra year for the latter).

A common misconception is that double degrees are somehow a tougher workload than single degrees and that is completely untrue. In general, all students complete 4 units per semester (or the equivalent of 4 units beings 24 points). It is arguable double degrees have lighter course loads since you have the ability to offset a high workload degree with something which takes less time.

The marks they will consider are the final 3 years of your double degree.

jimvni

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 07:17:57 pm »
It doesn't matter too much whether you decide to do a single or double degree (apart from what I assume is an extra year for the latter).

A common misconception is that double degrees are somehow a tougher workload than single degrees and that is completely untrue. In general, all students complete 4 units per semester (or the equivalent of 4 units beings 24 points). It is arguable double degrees have lighter course loads since you have the ability to offset a high workload degree with something which takes less time.

The marks they will consider are the final 3 years of your double degree.

About your last sentence, does this mean that I don’t have to wait 4 years to apply for medicine and can apply during my third year? Also should I be worried that I’ll have to maintain my marks for both IT and science compared to a single degree where I’d only be worried about science?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 07:27:55 pm »
+2
About your last sentence, does this mean that I don’t have to wait 4 years to apply for medicine and can apply during my third year? Also should I be worried that I’ll have to maintain my marks for both IT and science compared to a single degree where I’d only be worried about science?
No you need to have completed or completing a bachelor's degree during the year that you apply. So you can't apply in the penultimate year of your 4 year degree. However, some people enrol in double degrees but drop one of those degrees in 1 or 2 years making it a 3 year degree which then you can apply in that third year. If you aim to complete the 4 year double degree you can only apply in that 4th year.

It is just that they use the final three years of your double degree to calculate your grades.

As for your last question i don't know - you are still doing 4 subjects a semester. I guess focusing on one discipline might be easier than focusing on two.