Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:20:34 am

Author Topic: faaaaantastic, the journey is over!  (Read 34520 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: faaaaantastic, the journey is almost over!
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2017, 10:44:56 am »
+5
Would encourage you guys to keep posting in the marking section and exchanging feedback, the mods will jump in with quick comments where we can ;D

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2017, 07:42:38 pm »
+7
17/10

guys... NO MORE ENGLISH EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the amount of relief i felt after writing that last word in that distinctively visual essay, i could've cried because i was so relieved. a subject i've never been particularly good at (except for 2nd in prelims hahaha still don't understand how that happened) or liked and now it's over. finally, i can read books and watch movies without thinking of techniques.

props to the person who i spoke to before the exam, who reminded a couple of friends and i that there would no more quotes to remember, you're funny. try me. modern is on friday.

anyway, it's been a crazy two days. what did you all think of both papers? exam reviews:
paper 1: an absolute shitshow. i went in calm and relaxed knowing i'd done the best i could, but when it came time to do the essay, i freaked out. i had such a good thesis statement in mind during reading time... then BAM. gone.
paper 2:
- module a, distinctively visual: oh man do i wish i studied more for this one. the question was so good, but i only remembered quotes from my prescribed text, and had to make up a ton for the related and they were soooo clearly made up. rip.
- module b, war poetry: daaaaaaammmnnnn this question was amazing. i could've cried, honestly. fit exactly with what i wanted to talk about, and the fact that my teacher had been emphasising imagery all year? so glad i listened in class. a little sad war poetry is over though, that was such a great module.
- module c, exploring transitions: discovery 2.0. i felt like i didn't change my discovery analysis at all. thank goodness the essay question asked for "to what extent" which i realised just before it was time to finish this section and move onto the next one, so i added a few judgements here and there to make it look like i answered the question.

i hope everything went really well for all of you!!! may your timetables treat you well, and remember, no matter what everyone says, cramming works. and even if you think cramming isn't representative of your efforts, at least you studied.

best of luck for your hsc everyone,
fantasticbeasts
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2017, 09:52:48 pm »
+2
17/10

guys... NO MORE ENGLISH EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the amount of relief i felt after writing that last word in that distinctively visual essay, i could've cried because i was so relieved. a subject i've never been particularly good at (except for 2nd in prelims hahaha still don't understand how that happened) or liked and now it's over. finally, i can read books and watch movies without thinking of techniques.

props to the person who i spoke to before the exam, who reminded a couple of friends and i that there would no more quotes to remember, you're funny. try me. modern is on friday.

anyway, it's been a crazy two days. what did you all think of both papers? exam reviews:
paper 1: an absolute shitshow. i went in calm and relaxed knowing i'd done the best i could, but when it came time to do the essay, i freaked out. i had such a good thesis statement in mind during reading time... then BAM. gone.
paper 2:
- module a, distinctively visual: oh man do i wish i studied more for this one. the question was so good, but i only remembered quotes from my prescribed text, and had to make up a ton for the related and they were soooo clearly made up. rip.
- module b, war poetry: daaaaaaammmnnnn this question was amazing. i could've cried, honestly. fit exactly with what i wanted to talk about, and the fact that my teacher had been emphasising imagery all year? so glad i listened in class. a little sad war poetry is over though, that was such a great module.
- module c, exploring transitions: discovery 2.0. i felt like i didn't change my discovery analysis at all. thank goodness the essay question asked for "to what extent" which i realised just before it was time to finish this section and move onto the next one, so i added a few judgements here and there to make it look like i answered the question.

i hope everything went really well for all of you!!! may your timetables treat you well, and remember, no matter what everyone says, cramming works. and even if you think cramming isn't representative of your efforts, at least you studied.

best of luck for your hsc everyone,
fantasticbeasts

I only just saw the Standard texts you guys studied and I'm so jealous. I seriously hate reading but the two genres I do actually like are war poetry and Australian bush short stories and both of them are options!! Glad everything went well! Pumped for Friday now :P
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2017, 10:31:32 pm »
+3
I only just saw the Standard texts you guys studied and I'm so jealous. I seriously hate reading but the two genres I do actually like are war poetry and Australian bush short stories and both of them are options!! Glad everything went well! Pumped for Friday now :P

Wow, we're the opposite! I love reading and would give anything to be an advanced student... the classics in your prescribed texts sound sooooo good.

Gee up for Friday! (Not)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2017, 10:56:22 pm »
+2
Wow, we're the opposite! I love reading and would give anything to be an advanced student... the classics in your prescribed texts sound sooooo good.

Gee up for Friday! (Not)

Haha i just love australian bush stuff more than anything, was going to do my ext 2 project on australian self-mocking humour in bush lit before i dropped! just has a real authentic simplicity to it if u get my drift
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2017, 03:55:06 pm »
+9
GUYS I HAVE OFFICIALLY FINISHED THE HSC!!!!!!!!

the amount of relief i felt after writing that last word in my indigenous essay... i couldn't stop smiling because it's finally over. now i'm just waiting for my christmas casual orientation next saturday, then i'm kind of back to some sort of schedule!

what do i do now since i have nothing to do? have to go into school tomorrow to return my laptop (sad... can't watch tv shows for a solid 2 weeks) but maybe i can read a couple of books? any suggestions?

congrats to everyone who's finished the hsc today, you've all worked so hard and i'm so incredibly proud of you xxxx here's to the next part of our life journey!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2017, 04:07:01 pm »
+2

the amount of relief i felt after writing that last word in my indigenous essay... i couldn't stop smiling because it's finally over. now i'm just waiting for my christmas casual orientation next saturday, then i'm kind of back to some sort of schedule!

what do i do now since i have nothing to do? have to go into school tomorrow to return my laptop (sad... can't watch tv shows for a solid 2 weeks) but maybe i can read a couple of books? any suggestions?

congrats to everyone who's finished the hsc today, you've all worked so hard and i'm so incredibly proud of you xxxx here's to the next part of our life journey!

No need for 'almost' now  ;) Congrats! In terms of suggestions, I'm going out tomorrow night don't even know what I'll do ahah but next week me and a mate are going down to Royal National Park for the day (2 hour train trip haha but definitely worth it) so if you have any nice walks nearby I'd recommend!

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2017, 04:09:23 pm »
+2

Congrulations on finishing your HSC! ;D
Were you satisifed with how you went overall?
Book suggestions... hmmm
John Green, um John Green. Did I mention John Green? :P

I guess it depends what your looking for.
For me, I just finished the new Skulduggery Pleasant book called Ressurection which was alright. But I recommend the series as I feel it has a good narrative and great characters. Also Landy has a way of say doing the unexpected You can google some of the character deaths he has done. They caused quite a stir in the fanbase
Our very own good books thread could spark some ideas as well

Enjoy your break though!
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2017, 04:18:51 pm »
+1
No need for 'almost' now  ;) Congrats! In terms of suggestions, I'm going out tomorrow night don't even know what I'll do ahah but next week me and a mate are going down to Royal National Park for the day (2 hour train trip haha but definitely worth it) so if you have any nice walks nearby I'd recommend!

oh YEA ahahaha i'll have to change that! thanks for the suggestions :-) i'll definitely go out a bit more especially without the laptop hahah i've got to do something. all the best for the rest of your hsc - when do you finish?

Congrulations on finishing your HSC! ;D
Were you satisifed with how you went overall?
Book suggestions... hmmm
John Green, um John Green. Did I mention John Green? :P

I guess it depends what you're looking for.
For me, I just finished the new Skulduggery Pleasant book called Resurrection which was alright. But I recommend the series as I feel it has a good narrative and great characters. Also Landy has a way of say doing the unexpected You can google some of the character deaths he has done. They caused quite a stir in the fanbase
Our very own good books thread could spark some ideas as well

Enjoy your break though!

thanks! i think it could've gone better, because some exams were difficult for me, but that's alright - it's over.

ahhh john green. i have a bit of mixed feelings about his work - the only one i liked was the fault in our stars (bit mainstream) and i found his other ones to be a bit of a bore. have you read his newest book? haven't heard too much about it review-wise. i've never read the skulduggery series, i don't know but i've never found them appealing... probably personal taste. thanks for the book recommendations link!

thanks, will definitely enjoy my short break :-)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2017, 04:19:22 pm »
+2

Congrats!!! Well Done!  It's such an amazing feeling isn't it!  ;D
I just brought the new John Green book and I'm reading it tonight so I can tell you how it goes! Have you read Mortal Instruments, that's one of my favourite series! Or, I'll probably just end up rereading Harry Potter again!
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2017, 04:20:35 pm »
+3
So happy for you!  Well done, I remember that feeling haha. :D

Totally agree with books and walks and just getting to know yourself a bit now that it's over and you have time to spend with yourself!

Rec: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (I always recommend this ;))
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2017, 04:24:20 pm »
+2
oh YEA ahahaha i'll have to change that! thanks for the suggestions :-) i'll definitely go out a bit more especially without the laptop hahah i've got to do something. all the best for the rest of your hsc - when do you finish?

thanks! i think it could've gone better, because some exams were difficult for me, but that's alright - it's over.

ahhh john green. i have a bit of mixed feelings about his work - the only one i liked was the fault in our stars (bit mainstream) and i found his other ones to be a bit of a bore. have you read his newest book? haven't heard too much about it review-wise. i've never read the skulduggery series, i don't know but i've never found them appealing... probably personal taste. thanks for the book recommendations link!

thanks, will definitely enjoy my short break :-)
Fair enough, I disagree with your assessments on Landy's book, but I won't hold it against you. As for John's new book. I haven't read it yet, I ended up buying it due to some of the users reading it Coffee and Insanipi. I blame them for this :P. I too have mixed feeling with John's books. I haven't read The Fault in Out Stars. I have read Paper Towns and Looking for Alsaka and couldn't help but notice the similiarities between them both. I thought I was reading the same book for each of them just with a changed plot and characters.

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2017, 04:32:45 pm »
+4
Congratulations! ;D

If you can't watch TV shows for a bit...do some puzzles, read some books, go exploring around your area, catch up on sleep, or just sit on the couch doing nothing haha.

For books, depends what you're interested in. What's your favourite sort of genre?
When I finished last year, though, I re-read the Skulduggery Pleasant series (one of my favourites, but obviously it's all personal preference haha), all of Cassandra Clare's shadowhunter books, the Inheritance Cycle, and the Assassin's Creed books I think. :)
If you want something different from fiction, maybe Milk and Honey (and I think Rupi Kaur just recently released her 2nd book)? I bought that for something different and don't mind it! Essays in Love, also - I haven't finished it but it's pretty cool.

Otherwise just binge watch movies

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2017, 04:45:16 pm »
+2

Congrats again! <3
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2017, 04:54:33 pm »
+2
Congrats!!! Well Done!  It's such an amazing feeling isn't it!  ;D
I just brought the new John Green book and I'm reading it tonight so I can tell you how it goes! Have you read Mortal Instruments, that's one of my favourite series! Or, I'll probably just end up rereading Harry Potter again!

yay!!! congrats to you too! it feels great hahaha now that i can do whatever i want, just without the guilt

oooh okay sure, would really love to hear how you liked it. yes, i have read the mortal instruments - it's a great series! my friend gave me the bane chronicles ageessss ago but i haven't read it... maybe i should. have you read it? omg YEA i have to reread harry potter again - haven't done that in a while.

hope you have a great break!

So happy for you!  Well done, I remember that feeling haha. :D

Totally agree with books and walks and just getting to know yourself a bit now that it's over and you have time to spend with yourself!

Rec: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (I always recommend this ;))

thank you!! it is a pretty amazing feeling :-)

oooh i've read perks before, but as a related text for school... might give it a reread!

Fair enough, I disagree with your assessments on Landy's book, but I won't hold it against you. As for John's new book. I haven't read it yet, I ended up buying it due to some of the users reading it Coffee and Insanipi. I blame them for this :P. I too have mixed feeling with John's books. I haven't read The Fault in Out Stars. I have read Paper Towns and Looking for Alaska and couldn't help but notice the similiarities between them both. I thought I was reading the same book for each of them just with a changed plot and characters.

ah okay tell me how the JG book goes! i'm definitely welcoming a heap of reviews :-) i thought paper towns was the better one out of the two you mentioned - i think i found the characters more relatable, but then again sending a bunch of people on a wild goose chase across america isn't so relatable?

Congratulations! ;D

If you can't watch TV shows for a bit...do some puzzles, read some books, go exploring around your area, catch up on sleep, or just sit on the couch doing nothing haha.

For books, depends what you're interested in. What's your favourite sort of genre?
When I finished last year, though, I re-read the Skulduggery Pleasant series (one of my favourites, but obviously it's all personal preference haha), all of Cassandra Clare's shadowhunter books, the Inheritance Cycle, and the Assassin's Creed books I think. :)
If you want something different from fiction, maybe Milk and Honey (and I think Rupi Kaur just recently released her 2nd book)? I bought that for something different and don't mind it! Essays in Love, also - I haven't finished it but it's pretty cool.

Otherwise just binge watch movies

thank you!!

i lean more towards fantasy, YA and anything historical. i'm open to other genres, just not horror ahah i don't fare well with that. thanks for your book suggestions too - i was going to read milk and honey, but sometimes i think it's overhyped? will give it a go though.

yes, definitely going to watch movies - haven't watched many lately and it's probably time to do so :-)

Congrats again! <3

thank you, right back at you!!