Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:01:31 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3570319 times)  Share 

Nomi16

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #9645 on: October 31, 2017, 09:59:56 pm »
+2
Hello guys. I just want to ask a few questions:

When steroid hormones bind to receptors on cytoplasm, does a cascade reaction/signal amplification occur or doesn't that only occur for protein based hormones?

Also, is it required that we need know the blood types?
Cascade is only initiated by a membrane-based receptor meaning that, only peptide-based hormones or any other hydrophyllic signalling molecule will result in the activation of cascade.
Biology (2017) - 35
Further Maths (2017) - 40
Methods (2018) - 36
Chemistry (2018) - 35
Physics (2018) - 40
English (2018) - 37

ATAR - 92.90

2019~2021 - Biomed @ UoM

ezferns

• Forum Regular
« Reply #9646 on: October 31, 2017, 10:30:24 pm »
+1
Do IgE antibodies that are not specific to allergens bind to mast cells normally?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #9647 on: October 31, 2017, 10:31:55 pm »
+1
Do IgE antibodies that are not specific to allergens bind to mast cells normally?

All IgE can bind to mast cells, yes.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

zenith101

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9648 on: October 31, 2017, 11:11:52 pm »
+1
can someone explain the detail we are required to know regarding neurotransmitters?

also, in allergic response, does the antigen binding to IgEs on the mast cells cause the response (subsequent exposures) or is it the IgE's binding to the mast cells?

thanks

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #9649 on: October 31, 2017, 11:18:35 pm »
+1
can someone explain the detail we are required to know regarding neurotransmitters?

also, in allergic response, does the antigen binding to IgEs on the mast cells cause the response (subsequent exposures) or is it the IgE's binding to the mast cells?

thanks
Regarding neurotransmitters, know that an action potential (electrical impulse) cause the to be released from a pre synaptic neuron. They then diffuse across the synapse and bind to a ligand gated channel protein on the post synaptic neuron, which opens, allowing ions to enter, triggering an action potential in the post synaptic neuron.

The IgE antibodies bind to mast cells during sensitisation. The allergic response is caused by the allergen binding to these IgE antibodies, causing the mast cells to degranulate, releasing histamine.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #9650 on: November 01, 2017, 07:40:32 am »
+1
Is there only an immune response to one antigen or can multiple cells with different specificities be stimulated as a result of different antigens from the one pathogen?

It would seem to make sense that there is multiple but everyone always talks about one.

Seno72

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #9651 on: November 01, 2017, 07:42:20 am »
+1
Hey guys, when the action potential enters the axon terminal of pre-synaptic membrane, do Calcium ions enter through the voltage gated channels?

And also it is required that we know the types of hormone signalling (endocrine, exocrine, autocrines etc.)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 07:44:22 am by Seno72 »
Biology -38 (2017)
Further Maths- 44 (2018)
Methods - 39 (2018)
Chemistry - 41 (2018)
Physics - 43 (2018)
English - 41 (2018)

Seno72

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #9652 on: November 01, 2017, 07:46:14 am »
+1
Is there only an immune response to one antigen or can multiple cells with different specificities be stimulated as a result of different antigens from the one pathogen?

It would seem to make sense that there is multiple but everyone always talks about one.

I think that happens, but in the case of VCAA we probably need to know when only infection occurs at that time or it I should becoming too complicated.
Biology -38 (2017)
Further Maths- 44 (2018)
Methods - 39 (2018)
Chemistry - 41 (2018)
Physics - 43 (2018)
English - 41 (2018)

smamsmo22

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #9653 on: November 01, 2017, 07:48:11 am »
+1
Hi, a few really random questions;

In terms of monoclonal antibodies, are the antibodies constructed in labs (i.e. the actual proteins are constructed synthetically to be able to bind to cancer cell antigens/receptors/ growth factors etc... like rational drug design) or are the antibodies produced in the body, and these antibodies, or the plasma cells that produce them, are extracted and then in the lab they are fused with tumour-like cells to make them divide indefinitely?

Is the start codon translated but the stop codon is not?

Are exons exclusively relating to regions of mRNA? or can you use DNA to describe what exons are made up of?

When explaining the founder effect, do you refer to the gene pool of the founder group or the original species? Questions usually tend to surround the founder group but I thought the founder effect was a source of allele frequency changes in the original population?

Do neurotransmitters and cytokines undergo the same (general) signal transduction pathway as hydrophilic hormones; i.e. the production of intracellular secondary messengers, cascade of events which amplify signal? I know neurotransmitters usually induce a cellular response involving release of ions/initiation of an action potential in the postsynaptic neuron, but is mentioning the general signal transduction mechanisms necessary/required?

When writing the word or chemical equation for cellular respiration, usually you’d write ATP as part of the products. Is it necessary to include ADP+Pi in the reactants?

Thanks!
2018 - VCE - ATAR: 99.75 [English, Chemistry, Methods, French, PE, Bio]
2019 - Monash

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #9654 on: November 01, 2017, 08:01:30 am »
+1

1. In terms of monoclonal antibodies, are the antibodies constructed in labs (i.e. the actual proteins are constructed synthetically to be able to bind to cancer cell antigens/receptors/ growth factors etc... like rational drug design) or are the antibodies produced in the body, and these antibodies, or the plasma cells that produce them, are extracted and then in the lab they are fused with tumour-like cells to make them divide indefinitely?

2. Is the start codon translated but the stop codon is not?

3. Are exons exclusively relating to regions of mRNA? or can you use DNA to describe what exons are made up of?

4. When explaining the founder effect, do you refer to the gene pool of the founder group or the original species? Questions usually tend to surround the founder group but I thought the founder effect was a source of allele frequency changes in the original population?

5. Do neurotransmitters and cytokines undergo the same (general) signal transduction pathway as hydrophilic hormones; i.e. the production of intracellular secondary messengers, cascade of events which amplify signal? I know neurotransmitters usually induce a cellular response involving release of ions/initiation of an action potential in the postsynaptic neuron, but is mentioning the general signal transduction mechanisms necessary/required?

6. When writing the word or chemical equation for cellular respiration, usually you’d write ATP as part of the products. Is it necessary to include ADP+Pi in the reactants?

Thanks!
1. I'm pretty sure the B plasma cells are involved and are somehow made cancerous so they continue dividing indefinitely.

2. Yes. The start codon (almost always) codes for Met (AUG), whereas the STOP codon is a stop codon because no more amino acids can be bound - their are no tRNA complementary to it.

3. I would definitely describe it as mRNA. It is possible for one gene to be expressed in different ways (ie with different sections being introns/exons).

4. You refer to gene pool of the new population that has been created by the founders that left the old population.

5. Neurotransmitter do not. They bind to a ligand-gated channel protein, causing it to open, allowing ions into the post synaptic neuron, which causes a wave of depolarisation (action potential).

6.If you are writing a balanced chemical equation then yes. ie if you are writing the number of oxygen/water molecules on either side then you need to include the number of ATP and ADP and Pi molecules to make it balanced.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #9655 on: November 01, 2017, 08:27:58 am »
+1
Hey guys, when the action potential enters the axon terminal of pre-synaptic membrane, do Calcium ions enter through the voltage gated channels?

And also it is required that we know the types of hormone signalling (endocrine, exocrine, autocrines etc.)
Not sure on the first part (it's not in the study design).

They are not all hormone signalling. The describe signalling molecules in general.
Autocrine - Signalling molecule acts on the cell that produced it (eg. cytokines released by Th cells acting on the Th cell)
Paracrine - Signalling molecule acts on a nearby cell (eg. neurotransmitters)
Endocrine - Signalling molecules travels a large distance (eg. plant and animal hormones.)
Exocrine - Signalling molecule travels outside of the organism (eg. pheromones)

smamsmo22

• Trendsetter
« Reply #9656 on: November 01, 2017, 09:36:47 am »
1. I'm pretty sure the B plasma cells are involved and are somehow made cancerous so they continue dividing indefinitely.

2. Yes. The start codon (almost always) codes for Met (AUG), whereas the STOP codon is a stop codon because no more amino acids can be bound - their are no tRNA complementary to it.

3. I would definitely describe it as mRNA. It is possible for one gene to be expressed in different ways (ie with different sections being introns/exons).

4. You refer to gene pool of the new population that has been created by the founders that left the old population.

5. Neurotransmitter do not. They bind to a ligand-gated channel protein, causing it to open, allowing ions into the post synaptic neuron, which causes a wave of depolarisation (action potential).

6.If you are writing a balanced chemical equation then yes. ie if you are writing the number of oxygen/water molecules on either side then you need to include the number of ATP and ADP and Pi molecules to make it balanced.

Thanks. So to clarify:

(Q1) The B plasma cells that produce the specific antibodies required in the mAb treatment are extracted from the body and then fused with the tumour cell.. i.e. the antibodies and plasma cells are from our own bodies but are treated outside the lab to allow them to divide indefinitely.

(Q5) Thanks for the explanation re. neurotransmitters; is that even considered signal transduction? As in, would the stages be reception by being accepted/binding to membrane protein, then the generation of the action potential is a response (no transduction)?
And also are cytokines, however, transduced similarly to hydrophilic hormones but obviously target a particular response within immune cells?

Thanks and I hope these make sense
2019 - Monash

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #9657 on: November 01, 2017, 09:41:47 am »
Thanks. So to clarify:

(Q1) The B plasma cells that produce the specific antibodies required in the mAb treatment are extracted from the body and then fused with the tumour cell.. i.e. the antibodies and plasma cells are from our own bodies but are treated outside the lab to allow them to divide indefinitely.

(Q5) Thanks for the explanation re. neurotransmitters; is that even considered signal transduction? As in, would the stages be reception by being accepted/binding to membrane protein, then the generation of the action potential is a response (no transduction)?
And also are cytokines, however, transduced similarly to hydrophilic hormones but obviously target a particular response within immune cells?

Thanks and I hope these make sense

1. As far as I know yes.

5. It is not signal transduction, like a hydrophobic molecule binding to an intracellular receptor is not signal transduction. Both are still example of the stimulus-response model though.

I'm fairly sure that's how cytokines work, not 100% though.

smamsmo22

• Trendsetter
« Reply #9658 on: November 01, 2017, 09:43:29 am »
+1
1. As far as I know yes.

5. It is not signal transduction, like a hydrophobic molecule binding to an intracellular receptor is not signal transduction. Both are still example of the stimulus-response model though.

I'm fairly sure that's how cytokines work, not 100% though.

Thanks
2019 - Monash

TheBigC

« Reply #9659 on: November 01, 2017, 10:07:32 am »
+2

In terms of monoclonal antibodies, are the antibodies constructed in labs (i.e. the actual proteins are constructed synthetically to be able to bind to cancer cell antigens/receptors/ growth factors etc... like rational drug design) or are the antibodies produced in the body, and these antibodies, or the plasma cells that produce them, are extracted and then in the lab they are fused with tumour-like cells to make them divide indefinitely?

Is the start codon translated but the stop codon is not?

Are exons exclusively relating to regions of mRNA? or can you use DNA to describe what exons are made up of?

When explaining the founder effect, do you refer to the gene pool of the founder group or the original species? Questions usually tend to surround the founder group but I thought the founder effect was a source of allele frequency changes in the original population?

Do neurotransmitters and cytokines undergo the same (general) signal transduction pathway as hydrophilic hormones; i.e. the production of intracellular secondary messengers, cascade of events which amplify signal? I know neurotransmitters usually induce a cellular response involving release of ions/initiation of an action potential in the postsynaptic neuron, but is mentioning the general signal transduction mechanisms necessary/required?

When writing the word or chemical equation for cellular respiration, usually you’d write ATP as part of the products. Is it necessary to include ADP+Pi in the reactants?

Thanks!

1. Monoclonal antibodies are identical antibodies that are produced by a single cell. The monoclonal antibodies are produced through injecting a mouse with specific antigens, it will then produce specific B plasma cells that synthesise antibodies against the injected antigens, whereby these B plasma cells can be extracted. Upon extraction, they are fused with myeloma cells (tumour plasma cells) from another mouse, forming a hybridoma. Hybridomas are immortal cell lines that produce unlimited amounts of the specific antibody concerned.

2. Correct. STOP codons do not code for any amino acids, only the START codon (methionine (AUG = Codon))

3. Umm.. not too sure what you are saying.. But exons are regions of DNA and mRNA that code for the specific polypeptide chain concerned, however introns are merely interruptions in that sequence.  (So, I guess you can use the terms exons AND introns to describe BOTH mRNA and DNA)

4. When describing the founder effect, a specific non-representative group of an original population (in terms of allele frequencies) colonises a new region (by chance), in which giving rise to a new population that has decreased genetic diversity (i.e. Huntington's Disease in Tasmania).

5. If you are asked a question about the pathway of cytokines (in terms of signal transduction) it will be identical to any other pathways that you would have already seen with other hormones (i.e. insulin etc.). Now in terms of the neurotransmitter, it depends. IS the neurotransmitter binding to a neuron in a neural pathway OR binding to an effector cell? If it is binding to a cell that is going to elicit a specific response, then the pathway is alike any 'general' signal transduction pathway, however, if it binding to another neuron then it binds to post-synaptic receptors that open and allow for the flow of ions... (i.e. sodium, chloride, etc).

6. In terms of including adenosine diphosphate and inorganic phosphate as reactants, I doubt it... you don't include NADP + H+ in photosynthesis (or do you? ha). If it asks for chemical; ATP is used.... if word, maybe say 'energy'.... often times they (VCAA) don't require any mention of 'energy'....