Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 09:13:17 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3619873 times)  Share 

Jay.C

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +16
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #4575 on: January 27, 2015, 10:35:09 am »
How much do we need to know about the actual structure and function of pathogens? I know we have to know quite a lot about the immune system but I'm not to sure how much we are required to know about e.g. bacteria or viruses ect...
Don't worry about scores that you can't change  because there are so many more productive things you could do

Looking for customisable high school tuition that fits your needs? Or maybe you're just looking for some help with a specific concept that doesn't require frequent tuition. Component Education has something to fit all students needs! https://www.facebook.com/componenteducation/ https://www.componenteducation.com.au/

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #4576 on: January 27, 2015, 11:18:35 am »
+2
Hi all !

Could someone please explain to me electrochemical gradients (across the cell membrane)?

i don't understand it :P

thankss :)
If by electrochemical gradients you mean the processes of diffusion/facilitated diffusion, sure :)

Essentially, a substance will move from a region of high concentration to a region where it's low in concentration.
For example, imagine a cell surrounded by glucose molecules. Also imagine that the concentration of glucose outside of the cell (that is, the extracellular environment) is greater than the concentration inside the cell (that is, the intracellular environment). Now as you can imagine, there is now a difference in glucose concentrations between the inside and outside of the cell (or across the cell membrane, same thing really). This difference is called a concentration gradient. When a concentration gradient exists, diffusion will inevitably occur.

Now, if we recall the definition of 'diffusion', we realise that glucose will move from its region of high concentration (outside the cell) to its region of low concentration (inside the cell). Hence, it will diffuse* across the cell membrane and into the cell, without the use of energy. Because of this, we say that diffusion is a passive process (does not require energy).

*To make things more confusing, glucose does not actually simply diffuse across the cell membrane; rather it can only diffuse across a transmembrane protein embedded in the cell membrane. This is because glucose is a polar molecule, whereas the cell membrane (being composed of phospholipids) is largely non-polar. As polar substances can only dissolve in other polar substances, glucose cannot dissolve in the cell membrane and hence cannot cross it. The only molecules that can move across the membrane by simple diffusion are small molecules such as H2O and CO2, as well as non-polar substances such as lipids, triglycerides etc.

Therefore glucose actually undergoes the process of facilitated diffusion in order to pass through the plasma membrane. As this is also a form of diffusion, it too does not require energy. However, it does involve the use of transmembrane proteins such as channel proteins and carrier proteins.

I'll just end this here with a couple of definitions:
Diffusion: the movement of molecules from a region of high concentration to a region of low concentration, without the use of energy.
Facilitated diffusion: the movement of molecules from a region of high concentration to a region of low concentration, through specific transmembrane proteins (e.g. carrier/channel proteins) embedded in the cell membra

Actually have a couple of questions:

- Is there a neat list available somewhere of all the organelles visible through a light microscope?
Have you checked the notes section of AN? There are heaps of detailed notes that cover the entire course.
IIRC, the only organelles that cannot be viewed under a light microscope are ribosomes, Golgi body/apparatus/complex, smooth endoplasmic reticulum and lysosomes. But i think it really depends on the cell type.

- Does degenerate and redundant mean the same thing in relation to the nature of the genetic code?
Yes.
- Is parthenogenesis a form of sexual or asexual reproduction?
Asexual, although this is not required knowledge.

- What is the evolutionary reason in humans for 102 males being born every 100 females?
Not sure about this haha. Definitely don't need to know it.

Thanks  :)

How much do we need to know about the actual structure and function of pathogens? I know we have to know quite a lot about the immune system but I'm not to sure how much we are required to know about e.g. bacteria or viruses ect...
You don't need to know much. Just the basic function (in the context of diseases and how they infect humans, to an extent) and in terms of structure, you'll need to be familiar with their appearance so as to recognise them in a question.
For example.

Bacteria:
-unicellular (usually)
-prokaryote
-no membrane-bound organelles
-no true nucleus
-single circular chromosomes
-can contain plasmids
-peptidoglycan cell wall
-has cell membrane
-asexual reproduction; binary fission
This is just a sample list.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:28:34 am by grannysmith »

mondray

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4577 on: January 27, 2015, 01:32:37 pm »
Hey All,
I picked up Biology Unit 3&4 without units 1/2 and whilst working through the Nature of Biology Book 2 Chapter Review, I found it difficult to answer the following questions. I was wondering if any could help me out? The questions are stated below.

Q8. A particular small polypeptide contains nine amino acids. The polypeptide has been fragmented in various experiments by breaking particiular peptide bonds. The fragments obtained were:

ser - cys - his - pro - arg - cys
pro - arg - cys
X - gly - met - cys
his - pro - arg - cys
X - gly - met - cys - ser - cys

X is known to be the first amino acid in the polypeptide. What is the primary structure of the polypeptide?

Q9. Assume that the nitrogen base sequence in one of the dtrands in a DNA molecule is:
A-T-C-G-A-C-A-T-G-G-A-A-T-A-C-C-T-C
a) What is the base sequence in the complementary strand?
b) How many amino acids does this piece of DNA code for?

Any assistance provided is greatly appreciated :) I'm just not sure how to apply my knowledge from reading the textbook to these analytical questions and how to go about answering them :( Thanks!
The University of Meowbourne

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #4578 on: January 27, 2015, 01:42:46 pm »
+1
Hey All,
I picked up Biology Unit 3&4 without units 1/2 and whilst working through the Nature of Biology Book 2 Chapter Review, I found it difficult to answer the following questions. I was wondering if any could help me out? The questions are stated below.

Q8. A particular small polypeptide contains nine amino acids. The polypeptide has been fragmented in various experiments by breaking particiular peptide bonds. The fragments obtained were:

ser - cys - his - pro - arg - cys
pro - arg - cys
X - gly - met - cys
his - pro - arg - cys
X - gly - met - cys - ser - cys

X is known to be the first amino acid in the polypeptide. What is the primary structure of the polypeptide?

Q9. Assume that the nitrogen base sequence in one of the dtrands in a DNA molecule is:
A-T-C-G-A-C-A-T-G-G-A-A-T-A-C-C-T-C
a) What is the base sequence in the complementary strand?
b) How many amino acids does this piece of DNA code for?

Any assistance provided is greatly appreciated :) I'm just not sure how to apply my knowledge from reading the textbook to these analytical questions and how to go about answering them :( Thanks!
Not too sure what Q8 is asking but :/

Q9 I'll give it a go. :)

9a. TAGCTGTACCTTATGGAG (refer to base pair rule)
9b. 6 amino acids. (since every 3 nucleotides act as an complementary codon to a tRNA)
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #4579 on: January 27, 2015, 01:47:12 pm »
Re: q8, I wrote a similar question for the ExamPro bio book LOL what even, its not really a bio-knwoledge question per se

ser - cys - his - pro - arg - cys (1)
pro - arg - cys
X - gly - met - cys
his - pro - arg - cys
X - gly - met - cys - ser - cys (5)

Just use logic to form the strand, starting with X and we only need to use strands (1) and (5), underlined parts are overlap of those two:
X - gly - met - cys - ser - cys - his - pro - arg - cys

You'll note that all the other strands are part of the above sequence :)

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
« Reply #4580 on: January 27, 2015, 01:58:30 pm »
Re: q8, I wrote a similar question for the ExamPro bio book LOL what even, its not really a bio-knwoledge question per se

pro - arg - cys
X - gly - met - cys
his - pro - arg - cys

Just use logic to form the strand, starting with X and we only need to use strands (1) and (5), underlined parts are overlap of those two:

Haha I remember that question. When I saw it I was like, what is this.

mondray

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #4581 on: January 27, 2015, 02:02:22 pm »

pro - arg - cys
X - gly - met - cys
his - pro - arg - cys

Thanks Pi, so what would you say about the Primary structure?

Oh and thanks Reus:) Appreciate the help guys  ;D

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
« Reply #4582 on: January 27, 2015, 02:09:57 pm »
+1
Thanks Pi, so what would you say about the Primary structure?

Oh and thanks Reus:) Appreciate the help guys  ;D
That's essentially the primary structure - the specific sequence of amino acids.

mondray

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #4583 on: January 27, 2015, 02:14:41 pm »
+1
That's essentially the primary structure - the specific sequence of amino acids.

Oh, so it's just asking for the amino acid sequence? I think I get what you mean now :) Thanks grannysmith

vceva

« Reply #4584 on: January 28, 2015, 09:28:53 pm »
If by electrochemical gradients you mean the processes of diffusion/facilitated diffusion, sure :)

Thank you so much for your help :) I really appreciate it!

However I'm more talking about electrochemical gradients which are different for ions when diffusing across the cell membrane. I think it's something about the diffusion of ions across the cell membrane where if there isn't an electrochemical gradient then there won't be net movement, despite a higher concentration in ions... if that makes sense D:

I don't know haha, that's why i'm asking!!!

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
« Reply #4585 on: January 28, 2015, 09:57:34 pm »
Thank you so much for your help :) I really appreciate it!

However I'm more talking about electrochemical gradients which are different for ions when diffusing across the cell membrane. I think it's something about the diffusion of ions across the cell membrane where if there isn't an electrochemical gradient then there won't be net movement, despite a higher concentration in ions... if that makes sense D:

I don't know haha, that's why i'm asking!!!
That's alright :) - sorry I didn't answer your question. Hmm.. perhaps it's related to membrane potentials/action potentials during a neural impulse - as that's the only related thing I can think of. This involves voltage-gated protein channels which prevent/allow fluxes in ion concentrations and respond to electrical potentials across the cell membrane.
However, you won't need to know this in much detail - contrary to popular belief.

paper-back

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "I must govern the clock, not be governed by it"
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #4586 on: February 04, 2015, 08:16:25 pm »
In the picture in this link: http://highered.mheducation.com/sites/dl/free/0072507470/234439/mc_ch25_fig10.jpg
Why are there 14 H atoms when all H atoms in NADH and FADH2 are combined, when there are only 12 H atoms in Glucose?

rumeysa

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #4587 on: February 04, 2015, 10:07:49 pm »
In the picture in this link: http://highered.mheducation.com/sites/dl/free/0072507470/234439/mc_ch25_fig10.jpg
Why are there 14 H atoms when all H atoms in NADH and FADH2 are combined, when there are only 12 H atoms in Glucose?

I don't think you'd really need to know why this is in the sense of the course, however I too am interested in hearing the answer since I'm not entirely sure. Maybe they were donated from a water molecule?
2014: Biology [48]
2015: English | Mathematical Methods CAS | Chemistry | Health & Human Development | Psychology

nhuwyn

« Reply #4588 on: February 08, 2015, 09:07:26 pm »
Hi!!
Can someone please help me with the explaining the crucial role of membrane systems and organelles for increasing the total membrane surface area within the cell? I'm not too sure on this one :(

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
« Reply #4589 on: February 08, 2015, 09:33:25 pm »
Hi!!
Can someone please help me with the explaining the crucial role of membrane systems and organelles for increasing the total membrane surface area within the cell? I'm not too sure on this one :(
Essentially, it increases the efficiency of the cell. A larger surface area provides a larger area for substances to move in/out of the cell or organelle, or it increases the rate of specific reactions (e.g. Oxidative Phosphorylation in aerobic cellular respiration) that occur in membranes.