Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:54:10 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3613267 times)  Share 

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #2340 on: July 23, 2014, 09:43:07 pm »
What are the advantages of meiosis?

How does gene linkage affect the genotype of the offspring? (What is the impact of linkage on offspring?)

What is recombination and what are recombinants?

How do you justify whether a trait is dominant or recessive, looking at a pedigree chart?

In future try not to ask a heap of questions together and perhaps try to give them a shot yourself.

Meiosis generates genetic variation.

2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Jason12

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
  • School: WCC
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #2341 on: July 23, 2014, 10:17:37 pm »
I've also heard of self cross but is this just when you breed with yourself? (asexual reproduction?) So if you're a heterozygous Aa you just cross with Aa in a punnet square? Has this ever come up on a VCAA exam?

in a test cross for mice where B = black fur and b = white fur I crossed a BB and a Bb with homozygous recessive bb to find the genotype of the mouse but I end up with 2 punnet squares and 2 answers. So what do I write in the explanation since I have 2 alternatives or is there a way to find the correct answer?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:32:29 pm by Jason12 »
2014 ATAR - 88

2015 sem 1 - Bachelor of Business (Accounting/Banking & Finance) - Monash

2015 sem 2 - Present: Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting/Finance), Diploma of Languages (Chinese) - Monash

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #2342 on: July 23, 2014, 10:59:39 pm »
I think you're misunderstanding the point of the test cross Jason. You're not crossing two known genotypes with a homozygous recessive, you cross one unknown genotype with a homozygous recessive to find it's genotype.

For example, B = Brown and b = white

BB x bb = 100% Brown, therefore it can be inferred that the genotype of the unknown is BB
Bb x bb = 50% Brown, 50% white, therefore it can be inferred that the genotype of the unknown is Bb

Edit: @Trav- noted.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #2343 on: July 23, 2014, 11:22:43 pm »
I've also heard of self cross but is this just when you breed with yourself? (asexual reproduction?) So if you're a heterozygous Aa you just cross with Aa in a punnet square? Has this ever come up on a VCAA exam?

in a test cross for mice where B = black fur and b = white fur I crossed a BB and a Bb with homozygous recessive bb to find the genotype of the mouse but I end up with 2 punnet squares and 2 answers. So what do I write in the explanation since I have 2 alternatives or is there a way to find the correct answer?

Self cross is when you self pollinate a plant or if an organism is a hermaphrodite or something. Humans can't do it, nor can most organisms :)

Edit: @Trav- noted.

Sounded a bit bitchy sorry, but it's just so you get an answer from people! I'll answer them in a tic.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #2344 on: July 23, 2014, 11:30:48 pm »
+2
What are the advantages of meiosis?

How does gene linkage affect the genotype of the offspring? (What is the impact of linkage on offspring?)

What is recombination and what are recombinants?

How do you justify whether a trait is dominant or recessive, looking at a pedigree chart?

As I mentioned, the major advantage of meiosis is that it generates genetic diversity. Meiosis really is the main driver of genetic variation in humans.

If two traits are linked, they're more likely to be seen together. So if you have one chromosome that's AB and the other is ab, it's more likely that the gamete will be AB or ab rather than Ab or aB.

Consult your textbook for recombination. It will have a better explanation than I can give, and with pictures (which you really need).

Recessive traits can skip generations, dominant traits can't.

sandrag

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2345 on: July 24, 2014, 01:29:50 pm »
In how much depth are we required to know about the synthesis of biomacromolecules via the condensation reaction?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #2346 on: July 24, 2014, 01:50:01 pm »
In how much depth are we required to know about the synthesis of biomacromolecules via the condensation reaction?

Water's produced.

That's it ^

nhmn0301

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
  • School: The University of Melboure
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #2347 on: July 24, 2014, 01:54:08 pm »
+1
Has anyone got recommendations for some good practice exams? I've done some company one and see a few errors now and then :( (especially for BIO) I reckon checkpoint is the best but it would be great if you guys can recommend me some reputable companies or other resources? Thanks heaps :D!
2015-2017: Bachelor of Biomedicine

sandrag

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #2348 on: July 24, 2014, 01:55:42 pm »
Water's produced.

That's it ^

Thankyou :)

ravi2

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #2349 on: July 24, 2014, 01:59:43 pm »
During what stage of meiosis does translocation occur?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #2350 on: July 24, 2014, 02:39:52 pm »
+6
Has anyone got recommendations for some good practice exams? I've done some company one and see a few errors now and then :( (especially for BIO) I reckon checkpoint is the best but it would be great if you guys can recommend me some reputable companies or other resources? Thanks heaps :D!

VCAA is the holy grail essentially.

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #2351 on: July 24, 2014, 04:54:12 pm »
During PCR, what stops taq polymerase from synthesising a DNA molecule's complementary strand (elongation)? I understand that taq polymerase starts synthesising after the DNA primers, but when does it stop? Also, wouldn't some strands be longer than others, due to the DNA primer placement, and thus have differing sequences (at some points)?
Bachelor of Science (Immunology major) - The University of Melbourne

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #2352 on: July 24, 2014, 04:54:48 pm »
+1

NEAP, Insight, STAV. Checkpoint is just full of past VCAA exams which you can get off their site.
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #2353 on: July 24, 2014, 05:08:18 pm »
As I mentioned, the major advantage of meiosis is that it generates genetic diversity. Meiosis really is the main driver of genetic variation in humans.

If two traits are linked, they're more likely to be seen together. So if you have one chromosome that's AB and the other is ab, it's more likely that the gamete will be AB or ab rather than Ab or aB.

Consult your textbook for recombination. It will have a better explanation than I can give, and with pictures (which you really need).

Recessive traits can skip generations, dominant traits can't.

Cheers!  :D

Sounded a bit bitchy

Don't worry about it mate

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #2354 on: July 24, 2014, 05:33:51 pm »
During PCR, what stops taq polymerase from synthesising a DNA molecule's complementary strand (elongation)? I understand that taq polymerase starts synthesising after the DNA primers, but when does it stop? Also, wouldn't some strands be longer than others, due to the DNA primer placement, and thus have differing sequences (at some points)?

Try to draw out a few cycles, putting the primers in the same spot. Assume that taq pol copies all the way to the end. Sure, I could explain it, but this is a nice one to nut out for yourself.