Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:36:14 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3570770 times)  Share 

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #2295 on: July 21, 2014, 07:48:59 pm »
+1
In Meisosis, at what stage does Independent Assortment and Segregation occur at? As in at which stage of Prophase 1, Meta 1, Ana 1, Telo 1, Prophase 2, Meta 2, Ana 2, Telo 2?

Also could someone provide good definitions for both those terms?

Independent Assortment occurs in metaphase I and Segregation occurs in anaphase I.

Segregation can be defined as the separation of paired alleles during the stage of meiosis and their independent transmission through separate gametes.
(I don't really have a definition for IA haha, even if I did it'd be informal and my interpretation)
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

DJA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Literature is the question minus the answer.
  • Respect: +201
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #2296 on: July 21, 2014, 07:55:15 pm »
Independent Assortment occurs in metaphase I and Segregation occurs in anaphase I.

Segregation can be defined as the separation of paired alleles during the stage of meiosis and their independent transmission through separate gametes.
(I don't really have a definition for IA haha, even if I did it'd be informal and my interpretation)

Legend. tyvm
2014 - English (50, Premier's Award)| Music Performance (50, Premier's Award) | Literature (46~47) | Biology (47) | Chemistry (41) |  MUEP Chemistry (+4.5)  ATAR: 99.70

Griffith University Gold Coast Queensland
2015 - 2017 Bachelor of Medical Science (BMedSc)
2017 - 2021 Doctor of Medicine (MD)

DJA's Guide to Language Analysis (Section C)
DJA's guide on the topic of English Expression (Text response)

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +40
  • School: The University of Melbourne
« Reply #2297 on: July 21, 2014, 08:37:48 pm »
Yup! I did  ;D

Thanks Reus :)
Are you able to give me a brief version of what was composed of in the sac? I know that our sacs will be completely different but just a brief run down of the main points will be truly amazing.
Thanks heaps!!!
2014: VCE completed
2015-2017: BSc at Melb Uni

DREAM, BELIEVE, ACHIEVE!!!

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #2298 on: July 21, 2014, 08:46:08 pm »
Anyone going Melb Uni this week for the practical part of the SAC?

Oh, and I just found out my school is having 2 SACs instead of 3 for the 50/100 mark outcome. Bugger  >:(

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #2299 on: July 21, 2014, 08:58:05 pm »
+1
Thanks Reus :)
Are you able to give me a brief version of what was composed of in the sac? I know that our sacs will be completely different but just a brief run down of the main points will be truly amazing.
Thanks heaps!!!
Uh well you cut small pieces of garlic roots, which then are incubated (forgot the temperature) and later stained in order to be seen through the microscope. Literally all we was identity the stages of mitosis within the root tip. After that, we had to count how many of each stage was observed. Additionally a class average was obtained and set up on a table. The stages of mitosis were also required to be drawn (diagrams + labels the usual haha).

In terms of the SAC itself, questions ranged from all sorts really. Hypothesis, IV and DV, why incubation occurred, differences between mitosis and meiosis, questions specific to polypoids (garlic being a plant). If you want more specifics or any sort of assistance, don't hesitate to message me :)

Hope this helped.

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +40
  • School: The University of Melbourne
« Reply #2300 on: July 21, 2014, 09:38:28 pm »
Uh well you cut small pieces of garlic roots, which then are incubated (forgot the temperature) and later stained in order to be seen through the microscope. Literally all we was identity the stages of mitosis within the root tip. After that, we had to count how many of each stage was observed. Additionally a class average was obtained and set up on a table. The stages of mitosis were also required to be drawn (diagrams + labels the usual haha).

In terms of the SAC itself, questions ranged from all sorts really. Hypothesis, IV and DV, why incubation occurred, differences between mitosis and meiosis, questions specific to polypoids (garlic being a plant). If you want more specifics or any sort of assistance, don't hesitate to message me :)

Hope this helped.

Thanks Reus
haha yep there will be a lot of messages from me during the week. I don't think mitosis and meiosis is my strongest topic :)
2014: VCE completed
2015-2017: BSc at Melb Uni

DREAM, BELIEVE, ACHIEVE!!!

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #2301 on: July 21, 2014, 09:56:54 pm »
+1
Thanks Reus
haha yep there will be a lot of messages from me during the week. I don't think mitosis and meiosis is my strongest topic :)

Just track those chromosomes and you'll be sweet.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

nerdmmb

« Reply #2302 on: July 22, 2014, 01:29:51 am »
Are there any resources that you guys would recommend for the mitosis and meiosis SAC?

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #2303 on: July 22, 2014, 01:54:36 am »
+2
Are there any resources that you guys would recommend for the mitosis and meiosis SAC?

This is quite decent :)
http://www.vce.bioninja.com.au/aos-3-heredity/cell-reproduction/cell-cycle.html#previous-photo

Frozone

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I'm on my daily grind. My 9-5.
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #2304 on: July 22, 2014, 01:40:43 pm »
does anyone have a simple explanation of hemizygous? The definitions i found are confusing.
VCE 2013 - 2014:  Biology |English|Geography| Literature |Mathematical Methods [CAS] |Physical Education | Psychology

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #2305 on: July 22, 2014, 02:00:06 pm »
+2
does anyone have a simple explanation of hemizygous? The definitions i found are confusing.

only one copy of the gene rather than the normal (for humans) 2
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #2306 on: July 22, 2014, 02:04:24 pm »
+2
does anyone have a simple explanation of hemizygous? The definitions i found are confusing

It's simply the presence of a single copy of a gene, for example the X chromosome for males (humans).

edit: Mr. T-Rav beat me to it!  :-X
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 02:11:35 pm by Reus »

Frozone

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2307 on: July 22, 2014, 02:11:04 pm »
Thanks for that!
Does anyone have an easy way of explaining a dihybrid cross? My book( and teacher tbh) explains it poorly.
VCE 2013 - 2014:  Biology |English|Geography| Literature |Mathematical Methods [CAS] |Physical Education | Psychology

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #2308 on: July 22, 2014, 02:15:21 pm »
+1
Thanks for that!
Does anyone have an easy way of explaining a dihybrid cross? My book( and teacher tbh) explains it poorly.
A dihybrid cross is where the inheritance of two traits eventuate. So basically there will be two genes each with two alleles, meaning that there are now up to four possible gametes (monohybrid had two).

The new punnet square will contain 16 boxes.

Frozone

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2309 on: July 22, 2014, 02:17:56 pm »
A dihybrid cross is where the inheritance of two traits eventuate. So basically there will be two genes each with two alleles, meaning that there are now up to four possible gametes (monohybrid had two).

The new punnet square will contain 16 boxes.

Thanks alot! And another question.
what does it mean when it says "only hemizygous genotypes are possible for sex linked conditions"?