Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 05:14:06 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3610680 times)  Share 

Frozone

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I'm on my daily grind. My 9-5.
  • Respect: +9
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #1575 on: April 27, 2014, 02:04:13 pm »

The question is hope does a nerve impulse pass from one cell to the next?
I wrote "through neurotransmitters located at the synaptic gap". Is that right, because the book gives me an extremely long answer.

Thanks in advance!
VCE 2013 - 2014:  Biology |English|Geography| Literature |Mathematical Methods [CAS] |Physical Education | Psychology

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #1576 on: April 27, 2014, 03:06:16 pm »
What would be the impact of a tumour in the pituitary gland (normal production of TSH is inhibited) cause on the metabolic rate of body cells?
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #1577 on: April 27, 2014, 03:16:42 pm »
What would be the impact of a tumour in the pituitary gland (normal production of TSH is inhibited) cause on the metabolic rate of body cells?

metabolic rate goes down. TSH is thyroid stimulating hormone, less thyroxine is produced etc etc
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Frozone

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1578 on: April 27, 2014, 04:03:31 pm »
What is the role of receptors and effectors in the plant response?
VCE 2013 - 2014:  Biology |English|Geography| Literature |Mathematical Methods [CAS] |Physical Education | Psychology

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #1579 on: April 27, 2014, 04:31:28 pm »
+1
What is the role of receptors and effectors in the plant response?

A receptor is a structure which receives something, while an effector carries out a task. For example the photo receptors in the eyes receive photons of light. Stretch receptors in the muscles detect the amount of stretch in those muscles. In both these cases the receptors are neural and so the response is to fire an action potential. You can also have hormonal receptors eg glucose receptors on your islet cells in the pancreas.

The effectors are the organs which respond to the signals generally triggered by these receptors. eg when you hit your knee with a reflex hammer the stretch receptors in your quadraceps muscles detect the stretch, fire an action potential (the signal) to your spinal cord, where they synapse with motor neurons which run back to the stretched muscle, causing it to contract. In this case the effector is the quadriceps muscle since it is the thing that carries out the function triggered by the signal.

In the case of high blood glucose the receptors are glucose receptors on your beta islet cells in your pancreas, which then produce the signal (insulin). Body cells such as muscle cells or liver cells would be the effectors as they then receive the signal and act on it, ie absorb glucose.

Frozone

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1580 on: April 27, 2014, 05:43:40 pm »
A receptor is a structure which receives something, while an effector carries out a task. For example the photo receptors in the eyes receive photons of light. Stretch receptors in the muscles detect the amount of stretch in those muscles. In both these cases the receptors are neural and so the response is to fire an action potential. You can also have hormonal receptors eg glucose receptors on your islet cells in the pancreas.

The effectors are the organs which respond to the signals generally triggered by these receptors. eg when you hit your knee with a reflex hammer the stretch receptors in your quadraceps muscles detect the stretch, fire an action potential (the signal) to your spinal cord, where they synapse with motor neurons which run back to the stretched muscle, causing it to contract. In this case the effector is the quadriceps muscle since it is the thing that carries out the function triggered by the signal.

In the case of high blood glucose the receptors are glucose receptors on your beta islet cells in your pancreas, which then produce the signal (insulin). Body cells such as muscle cells or liver cells would be the effectors as they then receive the signal and act on it, ie absorb glucose.
But what about in the plant response?

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #1581 on: April 27, 2014, 05:57:57 pm »
But what about in the plant response?

Plants respond to stimuli through positive or negative tropisms, depending on the growth regulator present.
Relatively work the same method in order to achieve their feedback.

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #1582 on: April 27, 2014, 06:17:05 pm »
What is specifically meant by saying hormones act by altering the expression of genes?
I know genes comes further on the year, I'd still like to know  :P

Frozone

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1583 on: April 27, 2014, 06:25:30 pm »
+1
What is specifically meant by saying hormones act by altering the expression of genes?
I'll have a crack here but:
I think this may be talking about the hormone steroid and how they can alter gene expression, I am not too sure.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #1584 on: April 27, 2014, 06:29:02 pm »
+1

To initiate the transcription of a gene, you need to recruit an enzyme called RNA polymerase. There are a number of different ways this can work, but in general, in eukaryotes RNA pol requires a host of proteins to express genes. These proteins are called transcription factors. What an enzyme may do is alter a transcription factor, allowing it to bind. It may also bind itself at a different site.

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1585 on: April 28, 2014, 09:47:09 am »
Okay, so:
1) does depolarisation and repolarisation occur during the absolute refractory period (cannot receive action potentials) and does hyperpolarisation and afterhyperpolarisation occur during the relative refractory period (raised threshold)?
2) do potassium channels close during afterhyperpolarisation?
3) Do inhibitory postsynpatic potentials reduce the likelihood of an action potential occuring by lowering the threshold? If so, how do they do this?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:07:01 am by katiesaliba »
Bachelor of Science (Immunology major) - The University of Melbourne

Scooby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #1586 on: April 28, 2014, 07:29:30 pm »
+2
Okay, so:
1) does depolarisation and repolarisation occur during the absolute refractory period (cannot receive action potentials) and does hyperpolarisation and afterhyperpolarisation occur during the relative refractory period (raised threshold)?
2) do potassium channels close during afterhyperpolarisation?
3) Do inhibitory postsynpatic potentials reduce the likelihood of an action potential occuring by lowering the threshold? If so, how do they do this?

I hope you're just asking all those questions because you're interested...
2012-2013: VCE - Biology [50]
2015-2017: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology & Physiology) @ Monash
2018-2021: Doctor of Medicine @ Melbourne

Tutoring Biology in 2019. Send me a PM if you're interested! :)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #1587 on: April 28, 2014, 07:44:06 pm »
I hope you're just asking all those questions because you're interested...

Seems to be a lot of schools that are unnecessarily teaching this stuff. One of my students goes to one of the most under-performing schools in the state and he brought back a sheet with this stuff on it, absolutely ridiculous.

swagsxcboi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1588 on: April 28, 2014, 07:53:31 pm »
Seems to be a lot of schools that are unnecessarily teaching this stuff. One of my students goes to one of the most under-performing schools in the state and he brought back a sheet with this stuff on it, absolutely ridiculous.
I had questions about action potential on my SACs, actually so pathetic
2013: Biology [47]

2014 AIMS: English (37)    Methods (37)    Business Management (30)    Chemistry (40)

2015 AIMS:
Applied Science/Physiotherapy Practice at La Trobe

Feel free to PM me about Bio or anything :)

soNasty

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #1589 on: April 28, 2014, 09:54:33 pm »
where are neurotransmitters produced? Also, when they bond to the post synaptic.. knob? vessel? (i forgot what its called), does it form an ion channel such that it can pass through via (endocytosis? or diffusion?) to the begging of the next neurone? sorry im a bit muddled.