Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 09:23:29 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3618310 times)  Share 

katie101

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Katie
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #1455 on: April 17, 2014, 10:14:43 am »
Explain why it is important for hormones to be inactivated after they have initiated an action.

Ta :)

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #1456 on: April 17, 2014, 11:11:05 am »
+3
Explain why it is important for hormones to be inactivated after they have initiated an action.

Ta :)

In short: it's so that overreaction doesn't occur. There are a number of ways in which the body can prevent overreaction from happening. It can remove the stimulus, alter the stimulus, or disrupt the signal pathway (enzyme destroying a hormone once it's performed its role). However, I'm still not sure why people say hormones are 'inactivated' after they've performed their role. They are degraded or destroyed, I believe. 

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1457 on: April 17, 2014, 11:52:48 am »
+3
Could someone please explain cellular respiration in the easiest terms possible?
All the arrows in the diagrams and the values of the inputs and outputs are really confusing me :(
Much appreciated ;D

This topic felt so much easier when things were kept simple, so I'll try outline what I gathered from it all (:

Cellular Respiration can be of two types: Anaerobic or Aerobic.
Anaerobic respiration occurs in the absence of oxygen, whereas Aerobic respiration requires the presence of oxygen.
In glycolysis, 1 molecule of glucose is split into 2 molecules of pyruvate in the cytosol. This process requires 2 ATP, but yields 4 ATP (hence the net yield is 2ATP).  NAD is loaded to NADH for each molecule of pyruvate (so you actually end up getting 2 NAD being loaded to 2NADH). Glycolysis is required for both anaerobic and aerobic respiration.

In Anaerobic respiration, the carrier molecules (NADH from glycolysis) are used to produce 2Ethanol & 2CO2 molecules in plants or lactic acid (2 molecules of lactate) in animals. Note that the two pyruvates which were produced in glycolysis are considered the inputs in this stage. Anaerobic respiration itself does not yield any ATP, although the 2ATP netted in glycolysis should be considered.

Aerobic respiration occurs in the matrix of mitochondria, and is coupled to the electron transport chain (which occurs in the cristae of mitochondria). After glycolysis has occurred, a 'link reaction' takes place to form an intermediate product (2C) that combines with a 4C compound (or 'respiratory substrate') to enter the Kreb's cycle. The Kreb's cycle removes carbon from this 6C compound (or 'respiratory substrate') in stages, which is let out as carbon dioxide. One 2C has been removed as carbon dioxide (meaning the substrate is now 4C) it combines with the 2C intermediate product at the start of the cycle, allowing the cycle to start all over again! During the Kreb's cycle certain electron carriers (NAD and FAD) are loaded with Hydrogen to form NADH and FADH2, and there is a net yield of 2ATP as well.
In the electron transport chain, these carriers unload their Hydrogen ions. The Hydrogen ions flow through a pump(s) in the cristae producing energy in the form of ATP. This produces 32 or 34 ATP.

I'm not going to write out the whole equation as that's kinda pointless I think, but know that it was formed by just adding all the reactants of the process on one side and the net yields of all the products on the other side.

That's basically it. I've skipped over lot of the technical speak as books contain so much of it already. I've also skipped lots of numbers and amounts of stuff, but unfortunately this is something you've probably got to memorise.

nerdmmb

« Reply #1458 on: April 17, 2014, 12:23:45 pm »
What are the two large lobes of the brain called?

There are actually four lobes:
1. The frontal lobe
2. Parietal lobe
3. Temporal lobe
4. Occipital lobe

:)

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +40
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #1459 on: April 17, 2014, 12:28:09 pm »
This is probably not the thread where I should ask, but is anyone going ahead of the their course in biology?
2014: VCE completed
2015-2017: BSc at Melb Uni

DREAM, BELIEVE, ACHIEVE!!!

nerdmmb

« Reply #1460 on: April 17, 2014, 12:33:23 pm »
This is probably not the thread where I should ask, but is anyone going ahead of the their course in biology?

I'm actually behind compared to what my Bio class is upto..

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1461 on: April 17, 2014, 12:36:25 pm »
Would holding one's leg out (as a dancer would) develop leg strength by increasing the number of neuronal pathways? Considering the relatively small portion of the brain that concerns leg movement, it would cohere to some degree of logic. More neuronal pathways allows faster signal transmission and so the muscles would contract for longer periods of time, right? I know that this is probably beyond the scope of VCE, but I'm curious :) 
Bachelor of Science (Immunology major) - The University of Melbourne

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1462 on: April 17, 2014, 12:42:58 pm »
What are the two large lobes of the brain called?

They are just two 'hemispheres'. There are 4 or so lobes, which nerdmmb mentioned above.

I'm actually behind... I kinda regret not doing Bio work this holidays :(

howlingwisdom

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #1463 on: April 17, 2014, 02:28:39 pm »
Whereabouts is everyone up to in the Bio course?
VCE: 2014-2015 (English Language, Maths Methods, Biology, Chemistry, French, Latin)

2016: BMedSt + MD at Bond University (2020)

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1464 on: April 17, 2014, 02:32:46 pm »

We've started homeostasis

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1465 on: April 17, 2014, 03:39:05 pm »

Doing the plant hormones stuff

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1466 on: April 17, 2014, 04:10:54 pm »
Doing the plant hormones stuff

Have you done homeostasis yet?

nerdmmb

« Reply #1467 on: April 17, 2014, 04:24:03 pm »
Do we need to know about 'Gram staining 'in bacteria (whether bacteria are gram negative or gram positive) ?

Thanks!

howlingwisdom

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #1468 on: April 17, 2014, 04:39:03 pm »
What are the differences between animal and plant hormones? :/
VCE: 2014-2015 (English Language, Maths Methods, Biology, Chemistry, French, Latin)

2016: BMedSt + MD at Bond University (2020)

Frozone

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I'm on my daily grind. My 9-5.
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #1469 on: April 17, 2014, 05:29:47 pm »
My cohort will be starting homoeostasis soon, but I am up to plant hormones. I'm trying to go ahead whilst also understanding the content thoroughly.

whilst we are on the topic of hormones I have a couple questions:
1. which organelle would synthesis the hormones insulin and then testosterone? Is it protein and lipids?
2. (slightly off topic)- What is the difference in functional location between RNA and DNA? I was revising Aos 1 and got stuck with this question.
3. What is the difference between hydrogen and covalent bonding. Is there even a difference?
VCE 2013 - 2014:  Biology |English|Geography| Literature |Mathematical Methods [CAS] |Physical Education | Psychology