Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:32:48 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3612522 times)  Share 

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +40
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #1350 on: April 08, 2014, 10:55:36 am »
+3
I was wondering about the fate of the NADH molecules in anaerobic respiration. When the net 2 ATP is produced, and NAD becomes loaded to NADH, what happens to the NADH after that. Surely, they can't get unloaded right, because there's no more ATP produced in that process?

I'll try this:
Are you talking about glycolysis? If yes, I think that when the pyruvate breaks down to form lactic acid (humans), it needs the hydrogen ions from the NADH. So the hydrogen ions and the breaking down of pyruvate, makes lactic acid/ ethanol and CO2. Then the NADH become NAD and the process begins all over again.
Not sure if this is right though. Can someone please check my explanation :-\
2014: VCE completed
2015-2017: BSc at Melb Uni

DREAM, BELIEVE, ACHIEVE!!!

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #1351 on: April 08, 2014, 11:59:09 am »
+2
I'll try this:
Are you talking about glycolysis? If yes, I think that when the pyruvate breaks down to form lactic acid (humans), it needs the hydrogen ions from the NADH. So the hydrogen ions and the breaking down of pyruvate, makes lactic acid/ ethanol and CO2. Then the NADH become NAD and the process begins all over again.
Not sure if this is right though. Can someone please check my explanation :-\

Yep, that's correct. That's what lactate formation and fermentation are there for. They don't produce any more energy, they just help unload the carriers :) Great question and a great explanation.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1352 on: April 08, 2014, 01:38:59 pm »
Hi,

What is the path that intracellular proteins take, during their synthesis?

Where do they go after they are synthesised from the free-floating ribosomes in the cytoplasm?
Do they move to the smooth endoplasmic reticulum so that they can be transported to various parts of the cells?
Thanks!

Also do all extracellular proteins that enter the Golgi Body get a carbohydrate group attached to them, to form a glycoprotein? Or do some of them just get modified but not necessarily get a carbohydrate group attached to them?

Thanks  :)

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1353 on: April 08, 2014, 03:54:30 pm »
Are carrier proteins and channel proteins only situated on the surface of plasma membranes or are they on the membranes of other organelles within the cell as well?

jessica666

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #1354 on: April 08, 2014, 07:41:28 pm »
During autocrine signalling, does the cell secrete the hormone out of the cell, so it can then bind to the membrane receptor? Or does the hormone remain within the cell after production and bind to the intracellular receptor?

Also, do the terms autocrine, paracrine and endocrine refer to the secreting cell or the hormone itself? Bit confused as some texts have mentioned 'endocrine cells' while i have also heard that these terms are a way of grouping hormones

thanks x
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 07:44:46 pm by jessica666 »

Scooby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #1355 on: April 08, 2014, 07:54:12 pm »
Are carrier proteins and channel proteins only situated on the surface of plasma membranes or are they on the membranes of other organelles within the cell as well?

Yeah, organelles are bound by plasma membranes that include various transport proteins (eg. channel proteins)

During autocrine signalling, does the cell secrete the hormone out of the cell, so it can then bind to the membrane receptor? Or does the hormone remain within the cell after production and bind to the intracellular receptor?

Also, do the terms autocrine, paracrine and endocrine refer to the secreting cell or the hormone itself? Bit confused as some texts have mentioned 'endocrine cells' while i have also heard that these terms are a way of grouping hormones

thanks x

With autocrine signalling, the cell first secretes (releases) the hormone, which then binds to receptors on that same cell.
2012-2013: VCE - Biology [50]
2015-2017: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology & Physiology) @ Monash
2018-2021: Doctor of Medicine @ Melbourne

Tutoring Biology in 2019. Send me a PM if you're interested! :)

howlingwisdom

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #1356 on: April 08, 2014, 08:03:10 pm »

thanks x
Our teacher has told us that we don't need to know those terms (according to the Bio FAQ that's on the VCAA website I think?) but I think these terms refer to the different ways that hormones travel to get to their target cells, according to the kind of signalling (e.g paracrine signalling- the cell secretes hormones that travel through the extracellular fluid to nearby target cells)
VCE: 2014-2015 (English Language, Maths Methods, Biology, Chemistry, French, Latin)

2016: BMedSt + MD at Bond University (2020)

Jason12

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
  • School: WCC
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #1357 on: April 08, 2014, 11:04:47 pm »
to what extent do we need to know about blood-glucose concentration/diabetes and also osmoregulation?
2014 ATAR - 88

2015 sem 1 - Bachelor of Business (Accounting/Banking & Finance) - Monash

2015 sem 2 - Present: Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting/Finance), Diploma of Languages (Chinese) - Monash

Yacoubb

« Reply #1358 on: April 09, 2014, 12:14:01 am »
to what extent do we need to know about blood-glucose concentration/diabetes and also osmoregulation?

You don't need to know about anything to do with homeostasis. It's all about detecting & responding at the cellular level.

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #1359 on: April 09, 2014, 08:25:18 am »

thanks x

Autocrine signalling involves a cell secreting a hormone which then binds to on that same cell. Endocrine signalling occurs in the endocrine system where hormones are sent to cells all over the body through the bloodstream. Paracrine signalling involves sending signalling molecules to cells close by.

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1360 on: April 09, 2014, 10:43:31 am »
Would it be correct to say that in the light-dependent stage of photosynthesis,

the acceptor molecule - NADP+ accepts electrons to form NADP and then accepts hydrogen ions to form NADPH?

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1361 on: April 09, 2014, 11:18:14 am »
Sorry this is going to sound silly but
For the Calvin cycle we don't include the enzyme 'Rubisco' as an input right?

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #1362 on: April 09, 2014, 11:33:49 am »
Sorry this is going to sound silly but
For the Calvin cycle we don't include the enzyme 'Rubisco' as an input right?

Generally enzymes aren't listed as 'inputs' in a reaction, if that's what you're asking; the reaction is carried out in the presence of the enzyme, rather than it being a reagent.
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

jessica666

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #1363 on: April 09, 2014, 11:40:48 am »
To what extent do we need to know about nerve impulses?

•   The impulse (action potential) is initiated by the opening and closing of Na+ and K+ channels, allowing sodium ions to enter and potassium ions to leave the cell.
•   At rest, the cell membrane of a neuron is negative on the inside and positive on the outside
•   Strong stimuli result in higher frequency of impulses
•   Weak stimuli result in lower frequency of impulses

Would this be adequate? Clearly there is much more info in textbooks but i'm not sure how much we need to know.

The study design says "roles of the nerve pathway" and "types of signalling molecules:neurotransmitters"

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #1364 on: April 09, 2014, 11:48:16 am »
To what extent do we need to know about nerve impulses?

•   The impulse (action potential) is initiated by the opening and closing of Na+ and K+ channels, allowing sodium ions to enter and potassium ions to leave the cell.
•   At rest, the cell membrane of a neuron is negative on the inside and positive on the outside
•   Strong stimuli result in higher frequency of impulses
•   Weak stimuli result in lower frequency of impulses

Would this be adequate? Clearly there is much more info in textbooks but i'm not sure how much we need to know.

The study design says "roles of the nerve pathway" and "types of signalling molecules:neurotransmitters"

I think that's probably all you need to know. Bear in mind that the textbook mostly waffles on with lots of fun facts (about nerves, degenerative diseases, etc) that you really don't need to know in the current study design.