Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:10:29 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3570465 times)  Share 

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #540 on: February 10, 2014, 08:06:29 pm »
I've also got another question - Facilitated diffusion: the diffusion of substances that occur through protein channels/carriers; does not expend energy.

In regards to protein carriers, [such as the Na+ K+ pump which is an example of facilitated diffusion?] how come this process is terms 'passive'? Doesn't it require energy in the form of ATP to alter the shape of the protein carrier? Or is it active transport?
Basically how does a carrier protein function and why is it classified under facilitated diffusion?

Thanks!!

Also can someone please explain dispersion forces and Van der waals interactions? Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 08:08:38 pm by MM1 »

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #541 on: February 10, 2014, 09:07:13 pm »
+1
I've also got another question - Facilitated diffusion: the diffusion of substances that occur through protein channels/carriers; does not expend energy.

In regards to protein carriers, [such as the Na+ K+ pump which is an example of facilitated diffusion?] how come this process is terms 'passive'? Doesn't it require energy in the form of ATP to alter the shape of the protein carrier? Or is it active transport?
Basically how does a carrier protein function and why is it classified under facilitated diffusion?

Thanks!!

Also can someone please explain dispersion forces and Van der waals interactions? Cheers!

Sodium/potassium pumps are active :)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #542 on: February 10, 2014, 10:11:43 pm »
Sodium/potassium pumps are active :)

So are carrier proteins used only in active transport? From what I know (which may be wrong), a carrier molecule to change its shape (to allow for another molecule to pass), it needs ATP to induce that change. So ...

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #543 on: February 10, 2014, 10:17:02 pm »
+1
So are carrier proteins used only in active transport? From what I know (which may be wrong), a carrier molecule to change its shape (to allow for another molecule to pass), it needs ATP to induce that change. So ...

You use carrier proteins in facilitated diffusion as well. They're a little bit different though. When something bumps into them, they kind of just suck it in, kind of like quick sand. Whereas ones that require ATP are more like a vacuum, they force stuff through even if there's no gradient.

So carrier proteins in facilitated diffusion use the gradient to get stuff through.
Carrier proteins in active transport use the gradient AND force stuff through.

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #544 on: February 10, 2014, 11:11:20 pm »
Does temperature affect how much CO2 is taken in and how much water is lost in photosynthesis?

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #545 on: February 10, 2014, 11:38:21 pm »
Does temperature affect how much CO2 is taken in and how much water is lost in photosynthesis?

For water, I'm assuming yes because of transpiration??

eagles

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #546 on: February 11, 2014, 07:50:36 am »
Just as carrier proteins change shape to accomadate the transport of substances in and out of the cell, can channel proteins also change shape? If so, can you specify in what instances?

Cheers!

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #547 on: February 11, 2014, 09:12:34 am »
+2
Just as carrier proteins change shape to accomadate the transport of substances in and out of the cell, can channel proteins also change shape? If so, can you specify in what instances?

Cheers!

In some respects. But not really. They're kind of like a real channel, fixed shape, but some have gates.

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #548 on: February 11, 2014, 12:05:53 pm »
+1
I'd think of channel proteins more as pipes really (yes the hard plastic ones under your sink). In-fact, the property that they rarely change shape is actually very important in their function in a way. You want channels only letting in what they are "designed" to let in and not everything.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #549 on: February 11, 2014, 06:31:23 pm »
With regards to the inputs and outputs of cellular respiration/photosynthesis, are we required to know the specific number of each one (e.g. 2 x NAD)?

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #550 on: February 11, 2014, 06:54:27 pm »
+1
No, only the main reactants and products.
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

EFPBH

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #551 on: February 11, 2014, 07:23:27 pm »
hello

whats a brief description of the two main pathways of signals that initiate apoptosis:

signals from inside the cell a cell- mitochondrial pathway
signals from outside the a cell- the death receptor pathway

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #552 on: February 11, 2014, 08:31:27 pm »
hii,
Whats an accurate definition for enzyme denature that would be awarded full marks on the exam??
The image one is a definition to a question in the insight exam about denature exam. it seemed my own definition lack a bit of information to it and had more of other stuff, so i was just wondering what would be an specific one to answer on VCAA exams?
thanks.

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #553 on: February 11, 2014, 09:18:30 pm »
hii,
Whats an accurate definition for enzyme denature that would be awarded full marks on the exam??

The image you attached gives a sufficient explanation doesn't it? What exactly are you looking to incorporate in your definition? 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:08:47 pm by alchemy »

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +40
  • School: The University of Melbourne
« Reply #554 on: February 11, 2014, 09:24:22 pm »
hii,
The image one is a definition to a question in the insight exam about denature exam. it seemed my own definition lack a bit of information to it and had more of other stuff, so i was just wondering what would be an specific one to answer on VCAA exams?
thanks.

Enzyme denaturing occurs when the enzymes is exposed to high temperature, more that it's optimum range which then cause the active site of the enzyme to change shape. This restricts the enzyme from performing any more reactions as no substrates can bind to it anymore. Someone pls correct me if I'm wrong. Just saying this from the top of my head. :)
2014: VCE completed
2015-2017: BSc at Melb Uni

DREAM, BELIEVE, ACHIEVE!!!