Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 12:38:26 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3617481 times)  Share 

cooperbailey14

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #11160 on: October 30, 2018, 05:06:03 pm »
+4
2) What is biogeography and how does it support the theory of evolution?

Biogeography refers to the range of geographical locations in which fossils and organisms have been found, and are present in. It allows pathways in which organisms have traveled over time to be determined. For example, as the Hominon's moved away from Africa to other locations, such as Asia and then Australia, it can be considered that those found in Indonesia would be more similar to the hominons of Asia than those present of Africa.

Hope this makes sense!

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #11161 on: October 30, 2018, 05:10:21 pm »
+8
I just have a few questions to clear up.

1) Is polymorphism/ monomorphism important and if so what are they, as all the definition I have read vary significantly.

3) What is ELISA and why is it used?

4) How Electron Spin Resonance functions as an absolute dating method

5) Also for an experimental question, I seem to be struggling with:
- comparisons when they give a graph with an effect of different concentrations of variables, what should I include on these and are there any important phrases to implement such as ‘positive correlation’
- general ways experiments could be improved, I have increase sample size, repeat experiment but are there any more?
- structure for the hypothesis. In every exam whether it be VCAA or private papers the way they begin or end hypothesis varies and I’m afraid I won’t correctly phrase my hypothesis on Friday.
- what should be included in a conclusion.

Thanks guys and girls :)
\

1. I don't think monomorphisms and polymorphisms are important, but I can't hurt knowing.
 - Polymorphisms are traits of multiple variants
 - monomorphisms are traits of one variant

2. Biogeography is basically the study of the geological distribution of species. In studying and understanding evolution of species it is important (i.e. tectonic drift helps explain the evolution of many animals), but unlike other commonly quoted 'evidence of evolution' like fossils, I do not think biogeography is evidence in of itself. (please correct me I am being incorrect)

3. ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) as far as is relevant to us, is a test that can be used to determine the presence of an antigen. A sample (perhaps containing our antigen on interest) will be attached to a surface of a well and antibodies of specificity complimentary to our desired antigen will be added. This antibody has bound to its constant region a specific enzyme. If the specific antigen is present then the antibody will bind, if no antigen then no binding. A substrate specific to the enzyme attached to the antibody is then added into the well and will interact with the enzymes on the bound antibody (if there are any). Usually, the enzyme and substrate employed will produce a visible color change upon reaction to indicate the presence of the particular antigen (the stronger the color change the more antigen present).
This is all from quick research though so if anyone else is more knowledged, please correct me.

4. Electron spin resonance works of the idea that specific minerals will collect/absorb electrons from cosmic rays and surrounding earth at a specific rate. This will create a magnetic effect of a measurable amplitude indicating the age of the mineral. this is accurate and applicable for minerals a few thousand to a couple million years old.

- When they ask you to compare or describe relationships, I think it is satisfactory just to say as A increases, B decreases (or whatever the relationship is). Then if the question also asks you to explain you will have to do that. I don't think terms like 'positive correlation' are necessary for such an analysis.
 - you can control the subjects/samples used in the test (i.e. make sure all mice are of the same age, breed, and gender (if applicable to the experiment)). You can also note to control other environmental variables. These are all to increase the accuracy of the data and thus improving the experiment.
 - I would think it is satisfactory to phrase it as: "As X changes Y will occur due to...". Just make sure you have the IV and the DV in there and any relevant theory.
 - conclusions should mainly relate back to the success of the experiment in proving/disproving the hypothesis and then summerise the results collected.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

galaxy21

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #11162 on: October 30, 2018, 05:13:00 pm »
+4

Just remembered, but in the 2013 VCAA Exam (multiple choice question 32) it asks what biogeography is the study of, and the correct answer was
the distribution of plants and animals in particular areas.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 05:14:34 pm by galaxy21 »
2018 - Biology, Further
2019 - English, Chemistry, Methods, Health and Human Development
2020 - Bachelor of Science (Melbourne Uni)

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #11163 on: October 30, 2018, 05:18:23 pm »
+4
Hi,

Can someone explain how monoclonal antibodies work... is it a form of rational drug design?

Thanks,

I think the function of monoclonal antibodies has been well covered, but I'll just add a few things as to whether they are a rationally designed drug.
For the purpose of our course, I would say not. As far as we are concerned they are simply a mass manufacturing of an already existing antibody. However, it is quite interesting all the different things that you can do in terms of artificially editing and manipulating antibody structures such as making them bi-specific with two different variable regions. As such, I would argue in some cases these monoclonal antibodies can be a rationally designed drug, but it all depends on whether they are being created by humans artificially or whether they are simply being mass manufactured.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #11164 on: October 30, 2018, 05:38:50 pm »
+2
For VCE rationally designed drugs are only molecules designed to bind to enzymes active sites so monoclonal antibodies definitely aren’t considered a rationally designed drug (for  VCE at least).

Sorry I’ve been ignoring you all, I’m cramming for English 😅
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

EllingtonFeint

• Trendsetter
  • Offering private tutoring ✨
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #11165 on: October 30, 2018, 05:40:26 pm »
+1
I have tried to find the question you are talking about, but I have not had any luck. Can you possibly recall what question this is and in which 2012 exam.

Index fossils are used for relative dating along with stratigraphy.

I’ve added it as an attachment here... :)

BTW I love you for your little bio quote!
It’s a very fine disclosure.  ;)
Biology 🌱 [49] |  English [47]

Surviving and Succeeding in Biology:
https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=187145.msg1129188

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #11166 on: October 30, 2018, 05:52:46 pm »
+1
I’ve added it as an attachment here... :)

BTW I love you for your little bio quote!
It’s a very fine disclosure.  ;)
If you mean part D, it’s because that’s not what the question is asking. The question wants to know the results of the DNA hybridisation specifically, not just the meaning of the results.

EllingtonFeint

• Trendsetter
« Reply #11167 on: October 30, 2018, 06:23:45 pm »
If you mean part D, it’s because that’s not what the question is asking. The question wants to know the results of the DNA hybridisation specifically, not just the meaning of the results.

Okey. So when describing the diagram though, they are still more closely related right?

starby

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: John Paul College
« Reply #11168 on: October 30, 2018, 06:39:49 pm »
Hey guys, just a couple of questions...

Do you need to know the role of the different types of antibodies (IgM, IgD, IgA, IgG, and IgE)?

What exactly do you need to know about the lymphatic system?

Do we need to know the order of how humans evolved and each species features?

Thankyou :)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #11169 on: October 30, 2018, 06:43:35 pm »
+1
Okey. So when describing the diagram though, they are still more closely related right?
Yep. If the question just asked what you can infer from the diagram then you’d be right.

Nope. Need to know generally (Australopithecus ->Homo) but not individual species.

C14M8S

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #11170 on: October 30, 2018, 07:18:13 pm »
1) For the context of VCE biology, does RNA polymerase unwind the DNA after binding the promoter region in transcription?
2) The changes in the pelvis benefit bipedalism via having the centre of gravity be under the body, correct?
3) The changes in the femur are useful as they assist long-distance walking and the upright stance, no?
2018 | Biology [43]
2019 | Math Methods []
2020 | English [] Physics [] Chemistry [] Japanese SL []

leonm19

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11171 on: October 30, 2018, 07:24:36 pm »
+4
1) For the context of VCE biology, does RNA polymerase unwind the DNA after binding the promoter region in transcription?
2) The changes in the pelvis benefit bipedalism via having the centre of gravity be under the body, correct?
3) The changes in the femur are useful as they assist long-distance walking and the upright stance, no?

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes

Do you need to know the role of the different types of antibodies (IgM, IgD, IgA, IgG, and IgE)?

No, you don't need to know the roles of the different antibodies, just know that IgE (allergies)  and IgG (produced by B plasma cells) are the most commonly used I think.

With the lymphatic system just make sure you know the primary and secondary lymphoid organs, and also know the roles of the lymphoid organs. Make sure you know about the one-way valves and that lymph fluid circulates around the lymphatic system.

Mod edit (PF): Merged posts. Please use the ‘modify’ button to edit your post rather than posting twice in a row :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 07:35:09 pm by PhoenixxFire »

joanna120728

• Adventurer
« Reply #11172 on: October 30, 2018, 07:47:12 pm »
1) Quote from bio FAQ "Teachers should provide examples of plants’ structural, chemical and peptide-based defences that are adapted to stop invading organisms before they cause extensive damage."
For structural i know of intact cuticles and chemical could be resin, but i dont know any peptide-based defences. Would hormones be considered as defenses? Also is there a second line of defense in plants?
2) What kind of hypothesis is best to use: 1. the 'if then when' format (e.g. if growth of plant is effected by water given to the plant then there will be increased growth of plant)
 or 2. the 'if then' format (e.g. if there is increased water supply to the plant then there will be increased growth). I was taught the if then when format but it's really long and I feel like it's wasting time.
3) Are cancer cells always killed through the death receptor pathway? My guess is no because there could be damage within the cell which leads to extrinsic pathway of apoptosis being induced.
4) Do we need to know about the assimilation model?
5) Does gene cloning include the gene being replicated as well as the protein the gene codes for being produced?

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance :))

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #11173 on: October 30, 2018, 08:03:13 pm »
+2

Not sure if you need to know the roles of the different antibodies but it is quite simple. I would recommend just looking at this summary table attached

About the Lymphatic system, know that it functions to circulate interstitial fluids as lymph back into the blood and also how it facilitates exposure of antigen to B and T lymphocytes by APC (antigen presenting cells) within secondary lymph tissues like lymph nodes. You should also know that B and T cells are produced in the bone marrow, but while B cells mature in the marrow, T cells migrate to the Thymus for maturation.
If I missed anything, please chime in.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

EllingtonFeint

• Trendsetter
« Reply #11174 on: October 30, 2018, 08:07:56 pm »
Do we need to know about Southern blotting in gel electrophoresis?

And also the Sanger method?!

Sorry, just these revision booklets are filled with lots of stuff and I’m not sure if they’re relevant or not. :P
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 08:13:55 pm by Angelica2001 »