Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:41:36 pm

Poll

What Is Your Favourite Chocolate Brand?

Cadbury
Lindt
Whittakers
Hahndorf's
Haigh's chocolates
Other
KoKo Black

Author Topic: Geoo's VCE Journey  (Read 80004 times)

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
Re: Geoo's VCE Journey
« Reply #240 on: June 21, 2020, 03:59:54 pm »
+9
Hey hey Geoo!! ;D

First of all, (as Arty has said above), a MASSIVE CONGRATULATIONS for getting through Unit 3! An amazing achievement overall and I love the detailed journal update :).

I would also like to say, I'm so sorry to hear what has happened to your plant on your desk (That plant will definitely be missed). On the other hand, good on you for getting a new car!! (What colour is it if you don't mind me asking?).

Congrats for nearly reaching 30,000 views too! (It will definitely come around sooner than you think). Your journal has been so nice to read (from hearing about food studies and seeing your delicious creations to your fiery passion with English/Methods) and you have done an amazing job over all your subjects. Have a great week and get pumped for the holidays which are just around the corner! ;D

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #241 on: June 21, 2020, 05:08:26 pm »
+4
Yay for finishing Unit 3! I have been following this journey for most of this year and it is definitely a fav of mine! Good job for all your hard work :)

Chemistry
Lets start positive! I really do love this subject, and learning the content has been super enjoyable except for fuels... that was very boring yet applicable when I went looking for my first car. *Spoilers* So far, I think equilibrium has been the most interesting, but I'm willing to bet when I get around to food chemistry that will overtake it for the top spot. Although, organic chem is also very fascinating, but I do worry about my stick figure chemical structures... This subject has also made me realise that I would like to continue on with learning about chemistry (maybe food chem) in the future as it really is just so broad that it can take me to many places. However, there have been some not so great things with this subject, especially with how it is taught at VSV. But since i'm trying to keep this relatively positive, i'll keep it at that.
Yay another chem lover like me  ;D. I'm stoked that you are enjoying this subject and doing really well too!

Methods
My bottom subject hello! So I haven't had the best start with methods over the years, due to some procrastination, heavy maths road blocks, and a good chunk of trying to learn mathematics online, it's not fun. I think the biggest hurdle of this subject for me, is that doing it online is really difficult. I feel like I barely get any support, and the materials supplied are okay at best. If I was in a in person classroom, I think I would have a much better opportunity to do better at maths. Having to teach myself hard concepts and having to dig through misleading information is really hard and very taxing. It doesn't help that there are no online lessons for this subject, which is just extremely disheartening, as all of my subjects have online lessons but maths. That being said I do have alot of building block areas the are missing which also make the subject quite hard. There is just so much I don't know, or constantly forget to a point where I learn something then forget it the next day.
I really have no clue how i'm going at the moment. All I know is that I passed the unit (yay)!, and I think I at least got a pass on the maths SAC. And that's all I really need. I never went into this subject with high expectations, but if I can pull of a 25 or even a 30, I'd be so happy you wouldn't believe it. At the moment, I have switched to the cambridge textbook and my god is that textbook a lifesaver! Super happy I went with my gut and switched from the Jacaranda, but never the less, in short, I still suck at maths.
Good job for passing methods! It is a super tough subject and I know you can achieve your goals. If you need any help, I am always here Geoo :)

Also, good job for buying a car! Like ashmi said, what colour is it? RIP to your desk plant which will be truly missed haha :-\
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #242 on: June 29, 2020, 06:19:16 pm »
+7
Super sorry for the late reply guys! I have been super busy in the last week!
CONGRATS on finishing UNIT 3 GEOO!!
So exciting!!
I've honestly enjoyed reading your journal this semester, and I'm so proud of how far you've come! Although some things may have not been the best you should be so happy with your efforts and its awesome to see that you're doing well!
And with Methods, I promise you'll overcome the hurdle. Just keep doing your best and itll work out in the end.
And yay! Awesome on getting a new car! Super happy for you! Enjoy being on the roads with that bit of extra freedom!
Hope you enjoy your last week!  :D
THANKYOU! It is super exciting yet scared at the time to finish unit 3, it's great because I can finally move onto other stuff but that just means exams are getting closer....  Aww thats so kind of you, I have really enjoyed reading your journal as well so it's a bit of an honor you're reading mine.
I certainly hope so with methods, I just have to keep trying and see how I go! It will be so awesome to have the freedom to just drive and go somewhere. I hope you enjoyed your last week of term two, and have a great holiday!

Hey hey Geoo!! ;D
First of all, (as Arty has said above), a MASSIVE CONGRATULATIONS for getting through Unit 3! An amazing achievement overall and I love the detailed journal update :).
I would also like to say, I'm so sorry to hear what has happened to your plant on your desk (That plant will definitely be missed). On the other hand, good on you for getting a new car!! (What colour is it if you don't mind me asking?).
Congrats for nearly reaching 30,000 views too! (It will definitely come around sooner than you think). Your journal has been so nice to read (from hearing about food studies and seeing your delicious creations to your fiery passion with English/Methods) and you have done an amazing job over all your subjects. Have a great week and get pumped for the holidays which are just around the corner! ;D
Hey Ashmi!
Thank you, same to you, I still can't believe unit three is done and it's onto unit 4. I have always been unsure if people liked that I did such detailed updates, so it makes me so happy to know that you enjoyed it :).
Is is bad that I have already replaced Mr desk plant...... It was on sale at bunnings and I couldn't help it, so far it's looking okay but only time will tell. I know i'm so excited to drive my car! It's a medium grey kind of colour, there was a red and white as well, but I have always been a big fan of grey cars. It's not silvery either, just a nice deep neutral tone grey.  It really does come around so quickly! I remember when this journal was sitting on 5000 views and I thought it was amazing, so it's been kind of surreal.
That is such a huge complement thank you! I've loved reading your journal as well, especially your passion for physics and hearing another perspective from a tech subject it PTD! Enjoy your hoilidays!

Yay for finishing Unit 3! I have been following this journey for most of this year and it is definitely a fav of mine! Good job for all your hard work :)
Yay another chem lover like me  ;D. I'm stoked that you are enjoying this subject and doing really well too!
Good job for passing methods! It is a super tough subject and I know you can achieve your goals. If you need any help, I am always here Geoo :)
Also, good job for buying a car! Like ashmi said, what colour is it? RIP to your desk plant which will be truly missed haha :-\
Aww thank you that's so sweet of you too say! Yes chem is such an amazing subject, I can't believe all the flack it gets but then again I don't know why some people like methods..... Thank you for believing in me with methods, it's nice to get encouragement, it helps when I need to get through the large chapter review questions. Thanks for offering your help, i'll be sure to ask if I need it, it's nice knowing that it's there :)
Hehe, yeah its a medium grey colour which looks really nice. It's light but not like a silver colour if that makes sense. And yes, RIP my plant.... he is missed but has now been replaced.... i'm a bad plant carer woops.
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #243 on: June 30, 2020, 06:52:08 pm »
+9
The Holiday Update - 30/06/2020

Is it bad to say that i'm a little scared how fast this year is going. It really flew by, but i'm also not complaining. To say that I have been counting done my days to freedom is an understatement, but at the same time it feels way to surreal that this is my last year of school. I remember last year halfway through year 11 when all I wanted was for 2019 to be the year that I graduated, as I was just so done with the system. Now that this is the year, I am very happy to move on from highschool, yet unsure of how the future is going to be. Anyway enough of the sappy stuff lets get onto a few things. So far, I haven't done anything over the holidays, just taking time to take a chill pill, as the last month with having a SAC or more everyweek really took it out of me. Just knowing that there was another deadline almost killed me physically and mentally, so I really needed to take a little break.

In terms of my plans for the holidays, I am going to start right back at chapter one of the cambridge textbook, and really start hammering down the basics, I would like to complete at least 3-4 chapters, but my motivation is limited, and that textbook is huge. I would like to get two weeks ahead for chemistry, meaning I am moving into organic chem. Since I also essentially skipped chapter 9 electrolysis in class, I really need to go over that, especially since I believe its that hardest area in chem. English I also plan to read tracks (i'll be bored out of my mind), and watch charlies country, as well as start on my written oral piece as that is my first SAC back.
For food, I have been given the opportunity to do my SAC over the holidays as my teacher said that term 3 will be packed with work and SACs, so i'll take the chance to lighten my future work load any day. I need to find a topic question, and then i'll send it off to her. This means I won't be getting ahead for food, but I do plan to do extra work in the SAC weeks during the term.
I'd like to get a few unit 3 practice exams out of the way as well, especially for chem and food.... I'm too scared of methods to even bother.
In terms of normal person holidays stuff, i'll be attending the atar notes lectures for my subjects. I have even signed up to the Russian revolutions one even though I don't do the subject.... hmm. Anyway, I'll be driving my car because that's fun, and hopefully get onto on the massive pile of books I have collected to read. Other than that i'm staying warm by being indoors most of the time, and hopefully get into the kitchen to bake more.

Now to the section i'm calling, how did my last few SACs go. I have never felt so numb and drained in my entire life, because right now I don't really care anymore, which sucks because future me is going to care alot. To be fair, by the end of the term, I felt like a zombie and was doing anything I could to just get through those last few weeks, and my work really suffered, It's not too bad, but i'm not looking forward to seeing what my results are from that. So you may be asking what I did..... I finally finished my chem poster thank goodness that's over! It was split into 4 parts, and from the three parts I have ended up with 51 marks, only dropping two in task 3, however, all the tasks add to 60 but there seems to be a miscalculation on my teachers part as task for was worth 6 marks total.... which would bring the OG total score to 59... Odd but not my problem. So mini rant here, task four was worth 6 marks..... for 4 hours of work. It actually gets reduced to 3 marks as this SAC will be scaled down to be out of 30 so that was such a great use of time.

For the chem SAC I know I have 85% from the first three tasks, i'm not just waiting on task 4 to see if I can bump that up too 95%, will shall soon see. The last SAC I did was food studies.... and hour before the deadline. Don't judge me my motivation was very limited and this is soooo unlike me. As you would assume, I don't think that was my best work.... I did really struggle in AOS 2 of food studies as it was very marketing/business based, and my brain hates memorization. I'm hoping for 95% but I really don't feel comfortable with what I submitted.

Now onto my last piece of news, I got my methods SAC back. Ahhh.... when I saw the score I would have sworn she had the wrong student. My expectations were so low, I was hoping for over 45% as a minimum.... but I ended up with 84% like what! How that happened is beyond me. When I saw it my jaw dropped and I almost fainted. Whilst I celebrated this achievement because as everyone knows I SUCK at methods, I'm not letting my guard down, as I know that this was an "easy" SAC compared to many other schools. Even my teacher admitted that this was a SAC based heavily off year 11 methods instead of year 12. So as I said, whilst i'm ecstatic with my results (seriously if this was another subject I would be disappointed, but WOW, that's how over the moon I am), I can't let my guard down as I seriously do have so many gaps in my knowledge, and I know the exam will be ALOT harder than that. But for now i'm celebrating :).

Spoiler
Uni and stuff:
So I don't have too much to update on, as I swear I just keep digging myself into a hole every time I write something like this, as I keep changing my mind. I have now officially ruled out engineering as an option. Here is why: Originally when I looked at engineering, I always saw it as solving problems and creating things with the knowledge you have, and whilst that is still true to an extent, the more a researched it and asked people in that career it doesn't seem like something i'd be interested in. Aside from the maths portion, I do think that i'd like to be more in the action of science rather than the conceptual stuff. I do think that I also had some different ideas on what the engineering specialties I was into actually were... For instance in chemical engineering, I thought it would be about making industrial chemicals, synthesizing them, coming up with new products chemically to solve a problem... but I realised that his was more in line with analytical/physical chemistry, as someone described chem engineering as 70% maths, 25% physics and 5% chem.... not exactly what i'm into.

Then there was biomedical engineering, which I thought would be vaccine production, synthetic food, bionic limbs and eyes, and a range of other stuff, where as I found that alot of jobs for bio engineers are just working on hospital equipment.. not something i'm into. I have also eliminated biomed, as it really is just too restrictive as I want to move around a bit with what I want to study so I want something more flexible.
So I have really narrowed it down to these options:
BSci to either post grad med, food technology, dietetics (unlikely as the job market is REALLY bad i'm not kidding), or maybe a masters/phd.
The other bacholer degree i'm still considering is pharmsci, and potentially pharmacy. But with pharmacy, I don't want to become a retail pharmacist, that sounds like a nightmare to me, so i'd need to speak to some people in the industry to see if that is what i'd be interested in, as I know there are many other branches of the career.
In a BSci, I'd most likely lean towards a chem major at monash (as at Melbourne I'd need to do cal 1 and linear algebra... no thanks) with biochem or mircro bio or immunology. I still haven't decided if I like UoM or monash yet, but i'm leaning more towards monash as I can do two majors or a major and two minors which appeals to me more than the UoM model(plus monash is closer...). However, I do like the UoM model, as I like the humanities subjects there as apart of the degree, but monash really does have the flexibility.

I have some back up careers aside from becoming a runaway pastry chef, radiology (medical imaging) and dietetics.

Here's the thing with med... I have a health condition that is really restrictive with what I can do, which is why I wasn't going to apply for undergrad med. I have decided that if halfway through my undergrad my health is at a good level, i'll pursue med, if not, I'll go down another path. It's a tough decision as I do really like medicine, but I can't see myself in a stressful uni degree that could potentially make me worse... So i'll have to see how I go. It's another reason why I like the BSci, because it allows me to be flexible.

So yeah, that's where i'm at. If i'm honest with myself, I have a strong feeling i'll be doing a BSci at monash or melbourne, but i'm still exploring my options as there is alot that interests me. Plus i'm hoping that I can study a language there, either as a minor or a diploma of language.

For now I hope everyone enjoys their holidays, till next update!

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #244 on: July 11, 2020, 09:12:55 pm »
+10
Update - 11/07/2020 - Just A Little Update

I'll be embracing my debby downer mood with this update, so you have been warned. Um, I haven't done anything these holidays. All those promises I made to myself just went down the drain these holidays. If i'm honest i'm just tired. Really, really tired. I've been pushing myself quite hard throughout the year, and I think my body just decided that if i'm not going to rest, it will do it for me.
So my motivation has plummeted, as I can't find the will to sit at my desk when I don't have the energy to focus, concentrate or do anything.

Here is the kicker too, for some reason my brain just loves to guilt trip me about not doing any work. It's a real pain. Is it bad to say I feel like i'm a bad year 12? I know i'm not doing anything wrong, and there is no guide or rule book on how to do anything, but I just feel as if i've gone about this whole year the wrong way. I don't know, this is kind of just a word vomit that I hope makes sense. I think what will haunt me for a while is just knowing that I need to do stuff for my subjects to keep on top of everything, and there may just be no time in the term. I feel so unprepared for unit four right now, and I can't go back in time to fix that. There is so much to do!
Anyway, onto another realisation I have had these holidays..... I hate how much my marks affect me. It's like a mood swing with marks, if I get a good one i'm happy with, great fantastic lets party, if I get one that I'm unhappy with, well lets feel sad about something I can't control for a good solid couple of days, and just don't get any work done. I just really want to get out of this cycle of thinking like this, as I know it is unhealthy, and it seriously inhibits my ability to study and get on with other school work.

Spoiler
So I have received a few marks these holidays, and ahh it's been interesting. I'll start with food. I got my first mark back for task one of SAC 2, it was in the morning and I was feeling pretty good. I saw the mark, got 18/20, (which is still a great mark), and was salty about it for the next ten minutes because of why I lost those two marks (it was because I didn't explain why I need to wash my hands or pre organise my ingredients.... I didn't have to do that I any other sac I've done..), and now I was feeling pretty anxious since I knew I would do worse on part 2 as I did it last minute not feeling my best. Well, 5 minutes later, part twos mark of 30/30 came in and bamm, my happy mood is back. That is what annoys me. My family finds it hilarious over how much my marks can get to me, but it really gets on my nerves and I don't know how to stop it. I think that it boils down to two reasons, worry over not getting the end score that I want (study score and atar), and how I attach my marks to my pride.
I also received two chem marks back and oh boy it was food studies part two but over a few days. I received my equilibrium SAC back, which is one of my best areas, and I ended up with a 34/50. If I could tell you how upset I was over that mark, you'd think i'm nuts. Now I put this mark down to the fact that it was my first online SAC, that just went badly. I knew I didn't do that well due to the unfamiliar layout, the mistakes on my teachers part, and how I couldn't draw anything on paper as that would really help me. I think what ripped me apart, was that not only is this one of my best subjects, but I have loved chem for years, and to receive something like that just gutted me. There is also this pride of wanting to do well for your teachers and peers around you and to not go so well just hurts. Knowing that my unit 3 overall score is 76 still shocks me to my core. I can only hope doing better on the exam saves my score.

Now for the next SAC, the poster, I ended up with 29/30, so you can predict that of course my mood went up.... because yay? This achievement was numbed by the last score that I got, that I didn't even feel that much after getting it.... so yeah...

Anyway....
To leave this on a positive note, I have been driving my car, it's been a blast! I have already washed it once (not the great mind you I need to get a good car soap instead of relying on my shammy). And I have now reached 137 hours, but I can't go for my drivers test since vicroads isn't open for onsite vists and tests.... yay! Oh I did make shortbread which was nice but way to crumbly, and I have also started to get back into exercise again? I'm not sure how long that will last but will see.
So it's onto unit 4, good luck to everyone!

Oh and if anyone has seen my motivation floating around, please tell my where it is..... it's gone walkabout!

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #245 on: July 11, 2020, 10:32:56 pm »
+6
Hey Geoo, I get exactly what you mean. This always happens to me - I tell myself I’m going to do work over the holidays/weekend and I end up doing nothing (it sucks). I feel super tired too - honestly, it’s okay to have a break because we all need one. I know what you mean when you say you feel guilty, because I go through the exact same thing too!!! I can never bring myself to study so I just guilt trip myself (which isn’t good haha).

Congratulations on your awesome marks though! You should be awfully proud of yourself (I know I am). You deserve a great big break and you shouldn’t feel bad for taking one. We all need a bit of time to rest, recuperate and power up for another jam-packed term.

137 hours! :0 (I’m on a puny 40 hours haha). It’s great you’ve been driving a lot, I haven’t gotten much of a chance recently. It’s great you’ve been cooking/baking and exercising as well.

Best of luck for term 3 and beyond!
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #246 on: July 12, 2020, 12:10:19 am »
+7
Hey Geoo!

First things first i'm the realestYou are not a bad Year 12. At all. :)

Congratulations on all you've done so far, Geoo! Not long to go, hey.

All the best <3
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

angrybiscuit

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #247 on: July 12, 2020, 01:01:27 pm »
+7
Hey Geoo!
I can safely say that I too belong to the "not doing anything despite having plans and promises for the holidays" club, heck I'm the club president. In all seriousness, it's okay for not achieving as much as you have desired. You deserved a well-earned break from such a hectic term 2. Proud of you for everything you've achieved thus far.

Best of luck for the next term. Just one more to power through before the exams :)
somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
carl sagan

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #248 on: July 12, 2020, 09:04:10 pm »
+7
Hey Geoo, I get exactly what you mean. This always happens to me - I tell myself I’m going to do work over the holidays/weekend and I end up doing nothing (it sucks). I feel super tired too - honestly, it’s okay to have a break because we all need one. I know what you mean when you say you feel guilty, because I go through the exact same thing too!!! I can never bring myself to study so I just guilt trip myself (which isn’t good haha).

Congratulations on your awesome marks though! You should be awfully proud of yourself (I know I am). You deserve a great big break and you shouldn’t feel bad for taking one. We all need a bit of time to rest, recuperate and power up for another jam-packed term.

137 hours! :0 (I’m on a puny 40 hours haha). It’s great you’ve been driving a lot, I haven’t gotten much of a chance recently. It’s great you’ve been cooking/baking and exercising as well.

Best of luck for term 3 and beyond!
Hey Whys,
Thanks for giving me your perspective, it's so nice to know i'm not alone. I think I can get wrapped up in just going over everything I haven't done and guilt tripping myself all the way to the moon, and to hear that someone else is feeling the same way makes me feel like i'm not going too crazy.  The guilt trips are hands down one of the most annoying things about year 12!  Thank you, that's so sweet, and i'm so proud of you as well for getting that wicked UCAT score, so I think we both deserve a pat on the back!

You'll get your hours in no time! I found myself driving more in the summer holidays once school ended, so hopefully when we all get some free time without the worry of work to do, you'll be getting those hours up in no time at all.
I hope you had a great break with hopefully lots of rest, and good luck for term 3!
Hey Geoo!
First things first i'm the realestYou are not a bad Year 12. At all. :)
Congratulations on all you've done so far, Geoo! Not long to go, hey.
All the best <3
Aww thank you :) I must say, I am already counting down the days till the end of year 12! Good luck to you too!
Hey Geoo!
I can safely say that I too belong to the "not doing anything despite having plans and promises for the holidays" club, heck I'm the club president. In all seriousness, it's okay for not achieving as much as you have desired. You deserved a well-earned break from such a hectic term 2. Proud of you for everything you've achieved thus far.

Best of luck for the next term. Just one more to power through before the exams :)
Howdy Biscuit!
Yes you can be the club president i'll be the vice! We need to start making pamphlets asap. Anyway, glad to know i'm not alone, and hopefully you also had a decent rest over the holidays! I guess one of the hardest things is just seeing others get so much done, but your absolutely right when it comes to taking a break from such a crazy term. So thank you for your kind words, you've made me feel alot better :) Good luck to you to term three as well! I can't wait till everything is done and dusted!

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #249 on: July 20, 2020, 04:34:56 pm »
+12
Update - 20/07/2020 - First Week Back!

I have really mixed feelings returning back to school this week. I'm happy because I can't wait to get this year over and done with, but i'm also scared at the same time for all the SACs and exams i'm about to find myself doing. I had one look at my timetable and I feel like those birds that stick their head in the sand.... Odd analogy I know but I have been watching way too many animal documentaries lately it's all I can reference. So since i'm an online student I have been watching the VCE kids go back to school fiasco and it's certainly been interesting to say the least. I wish everyone who is going back to school good luck though, and I hope everyone stays safe!

Onto the good news, I had good motivation for three days in week one, I got all my weekly work done (except maths) and was ready to rock and roll. Bad news the motivation lasted as long as my first plant, plummeting after Thursday to a point where I did nothing for 4 days. At this point in time i'm very nervous for whats to come, as I really need to get so much work done, not just the bare minimum, but all the prep for SACs and exams, and with the little motivation I have I just can't make myself do anything. It's making me a bit overwhelmed but i'm sure something will have to kick me into action sooner or later.

English
For this boring subject I have the written oral thingy next week, and after that there are no more SACs for this subject this term, as the comparative will be the first week back in term 4.... great planning on the teachers part. Anyway i'm excited to get this one out of the way, but in a sense i'm sad as I normally really like doing the oral persuasive side, so i'm sad to see it cut short. On the plus side, it's not under timed conditions, and I only have to write a 600ish word planned outline of what I would write. Not sure how i'm going to do it, so i'll see how I go. The rest of the term will be dedicated to the comparative SAC *sarcastic yay.* I haven't even read the book yet. I started, got bored, and went to read a sci fi book.... woops. Anyway Tracks is very dry, but the writing style makes up for it. It's a nightmare reading the accent dialogue the author put in there (looking at the German accent where every "U" sound is replace with the letter V.....). I really need to start pushing through this book but as you can tell motivation is lacking.

Methods
This subject causes me soooo much anxiety it's not funny. I feel scared opening emails, the methods study design, my own course and past VCAA exams.... Not to mention my teacher..... I mean I took a look at last year exams, and whilst I could recognize some stuff, I had no idea how to do it, and that scared me so bad....Anyway so far I have found antidifferentiation easier than differentiation itself which is ironic, and I really value my tutor, because if she didn't run my though the basics.... I would have been so screwed this week. Is it bad that i'm already a week behind? I don't mean too, but as I said, i'm scared to even open my textbook out of fear of not understanding. If only I could run away from this subject... that would be nice. On the bright side... at least monash BSci doesn't need it if I screw up...

However I do have a light hearted moment from methods this week, doesn't the integral symbol look like it belongs more in music than in maths? So I have started calling it the music symbol.

Chem
Now I have always had a soft spot for organic chem, and I really did enjoy it last year in unit 2, however, I forgot how much memorisation was involved..... There are so many function groups and naming orders and just way to many hyphens and commas... I did a mini test this week and lost 4 marks because I put a space in my naming... woops. Anyway this subject so far is okay, i'm very scared for time right now, as I may not have before the exams, since this subject is finishing late October.... So I will definitely be trying to work ahead to make sure I have enough time to do practice exams.
Spoiler
On a negative note for chem, my next SAC is in week 5, and it's going to be online. Again. I'm honestly so scared with it being online, especially after the first online SAC with the score I got back from it (58%..). I know I can do well as I know the subject matter, but I can't stand doing tests on a computer screen. I will have to do it, but i'm absolutely terrified to do through that whole mess again.

Food Studies
Well it's great to have this subject back! I do really enjoy the online lessons every Thursday and for once it's nice to interact with everyone. The content is a bit dry at the moment but I don't mind. This week is all on ethical food choices and what not, and it involves a practical activity. There is the big unit 4 SAC called the written report, where I pick and Australian topic on food, and write a report about it under SAC conditions. I have already chosen my topic, "Are GMO foods a viable way to feed Australia in the future, considering a changing climate?" So that's going to be a fun one, especially with my bio knowledge from last year! So now I have to do the research for this topic before I do the final write up in week 6.

In other news, I have signed up for the book and cooking club at my school. Since my school is a prep to 12... it was an interesting turn out. I have already attended the cooking club, and my goodness I have never felt so old. The average age was probably 8, with the second oldest after me being 14.... So that was awkward. Moving onto the book club, I haven't attended anything yet, as originally they were going to combine all the ages... So I didn't attend the first meeting as I knew I wouldn't be interested as I'm not the biggest fan of middle grade books. (they selected the lion the with and the wardrobe). However I revived an email saying they would break it up into age groups with a separate book for year 11 and 12s. Whilst i'm very happy about this, I feel sorry for the other age group as it ranges from grade 5 to year 9. In terms of reading taste that is huge. I can't imagine being back in year 9 reading a middle grade book, and I couldn't imagine being in grade five reading young adult.
I also think the young adult section is so ranged that the top end should be it's own genre. I mean you have Percy Jackson down the bottom which is decently intense but nothing that brutal, all the way to the hunger games at the top with quite a bit of violence. So I wish those teachers good luck with the 5 to 9's.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 04:36:49 pm by Geoo »

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
  • GO BEYOND!!!! PLUS ULTRA!!!!
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #250 on: July 29, 2020, 05:24:24 pm »
+2
Aww thanks for the belated birthday wish, it will certainly be an interesting year for 18th birthdays, do you have any idea what you are going to do for yours whilst stuck in this quarantine? Not going to lie, it was tough to move on, but there really is no point wasting my time thinking about the SAC marks, I just have to improve for me next SACs! I also hope that you have a great year 12 too! I have had a bit of a read of your journal, and it's awesome to hear how your year 12 journey is going. I noticed your avatar is from my hero academia, I haven't watch that show after the third season since I have been so busy  but it really was an awesome show. Do you find yourself still watching anime alot?
Thank you for your kind words, it has really cheered me up to read them after a tough weekend (methods i'm looking at you).
Enjoy your week!

Ahahah no worries ^^. Sorry for the late reply oops, I hope everything is going well for you, despite the rise of coronav here. Take care and stay safe!!!!

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #251 on: July 30, 2020, 06:43:11 pm »
+6
Update - 30/07/2020

It's me! That was such a weird opening but we're going with it. I'm not going great if i'm honest. I still haven't reclaimed my motivation, I have fallen behind on some of my work, and i'm not feeling well physically either. I don't know what's going on with me, but my health problems have started to get worse, which is very concerning to me. I'm getting a lot less done because i'm simply struggling to just focus and concentrate as i'm feeling more tired than ever. I feel like all I ever post on here is just negative. I never really meant for my journal to turn out like this but I guess it just goes to show how random VCE is.

English
I'm about to send of my oral plan SAC thingy as it's due tomorrow, I just have to make some final adjustments. The book I was suppose to read by now is still sitting on my bedside table with a bookmark in chapter one.... I really need to get onto that ASAP, it's just so boring... all I want to do is cosy up and read a fantasy.. not a book about camels.

Methods
I'm once again a week behind, but i've been just so out of it that when ever I look at maths sums I blank out and forget how to do things. So I really need to get ontop of that before it get's ontop of me.... There is two weeks till my maths SAC so I need to hurry up.

Chemistry
Why did I say I liked organic chem? My goodness the amount of memorisation involved is insane... At least with all the earlier stuff alot of it was applicable, but at this point it's solid rote learning! My biggest problem is condensed formula. I can read them and draw them out, but if I saw something and was asked to put it in condensed formula lkjbae. I mean on my mini test I wrote them all backwards so go figure. Also hyphens are my worst enemy!!!!! I keep forgetting to put them after things. Woops. I have one week left till the SAC and i'm terrified.... I really hate it being online, and worst of all there is going to be a live stream of a practical activity. Great, I can't wait for the technical difficulties!

Food Studies
I never thought i'd say this but wow does food studies have alot of content. I'd say it has a little less than bio at this point, there is just so much to get through and not enough time. We are going at rapid speed and i'm not even sure the enterprise could keep up. Sad to say, but i'm also a little board.... It feels like i'm being prepped to have my own farm one day, so I better know how to run it well..

Wow for once I wrote a short update, whats going on? This update was so sarcastic my english teachers would be proud....  Sorry that it's kind of a mess, enjoy the weekend guys! :)
Spoiler
One thing that has me quite worried is the GAT. I'm not worried about the test itself, although my teacher did say they were going to place literacy and numeracy scores on VCE certificates this year but i'm not 100% sure about that. Here is what i'm worried about, i'm terrified of getting the virus, because if I do, well I won't be physically capable of finishing my VCE. I have contacted my school about, to which they said they would send a message to VCAA to see what they can do. At this rate with the virus spreading it's a bit nerve racking to say the least.

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #252 on: July 30, 2020, 07:03:15 pm »
+5
Hey Geoo!  ;D

I'm not going great if i'm honest. I still haven't reclaimed my motivation, I have fallen behind on some of my work, and i'm not feeling well physically either. I don't know what's going on with me, but my health problems have started to get worse, which is very concerning to me. I'm getting a lot less done because i'm simply struggling to just focus and concentrate as i'm feeling more tired than ever. I feel like all I ever post on here is just negative. I never really meant for my journal to turn out like this but I guess it just goes to show how random VCE is.
Aww, hope you feel better soon. Demotivation is plaguing me as well and it's honestly so annoying because we can never get work done...hope you get your motivation back soon. There's not long to go for exams (3 months, what?!), so hang in there.
So I really need to get ontop of that before it get's ontop of me
Same feels here. When I'm behind in maths, I find it so hard to catch up with all the exercises. Good luck with the methods sac!
I have contacted my school about, to which they said they would send a message to VCAA to see what they can do. At this rate with the virus spreading it's a bit nerve racking to say the least.
Hopefully VCAA can do something about that and help you, but yeah the virus is spreading so quickly and it's so scary. I'm hoping that it gets better but at the rate things are going, that's looking very unlikely.  :(

Have a great weekend too!

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #253 on: August 04, 2020, 04:59:54 pm »
+4
Hi Geoo! You probably don't remember me but I used to chat with you on this journal earlier on. I've finally caught up now and it's been such an interesting read. I look forward to reading more updates!
all I want to do is cosy up and read a fantasy.. not a book about camels.
Bahahaha I'm doing Tracks as well. Personally I think the first 100 pages are a bit dry but it picks up when she leaves for her trip. Are you doing Into the Wild for the movie?
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #254 on: August 12, 2020, 06:10:33 pm »
+10
Update - 12/08/2020 - What Even is VCE?

Hello again, after taking a bit of a break, I am here to update you on almost nothing, ah, not much has happened.  Now I haven't been going the best lately, but I'm going to try steer this update in a more positive direction. However, I know myself, and there may be a slip up here and there when I finish the update, but that's for future me to think about. Be prepared for a bit of a boring update!

So.... I made a VTAC account, wow look at me being productive like the rest of the state. I really didn't intend for that to come of as sarcastic as it did, but oh well. Now that I have done that, I am kind of all over the place in what I want to do. I have ideas of the backups I want, those are the easy parts, but my top 4 is something that is taking me a little time. I have come to the realisation that I probably won't be getting a 25 in methods...... I know my SAC score was pretty good, but once again i'm really struggling with the subject, but more on that later. So that means BSci at UniMelb may be out of reach for me sadly. I'll still be putting it in my preference list relatively high up, but i'm no longer confident I can get into the bachelor. The other three courses that have peaked my interest, BSci at monash (no methods woohoo), BSci in Food Technology/Busman RMIT and Pharmaceutical science monash (also a 25 methods requirement so not sure). All of these are in my top, but i'm not sure what order to put them in. It's been hard going back and forth into what I want to do, but i'm sure I'll just make my preference soon, and I have a feeling BSci is at the top due to flexibility.

In terms of, what does Geoo want to do with her life, i'm not sure, but I have a few directions i'm looking at. As you can tell by my course at RMIT, i'm seriously considering becoming a food technologist/chemist. I have always loved food, the production, the science you name it, so I think it could be an interesting career. However, I could to a BSci and fit prereqs to do a masters in food science instead, to leave myself open to more flexibility, because at the end on of the day, i'm not quite sure.... plus I really want to do some of the majors at uni in the BSci. Oh also, Unimelb BSci has a food science major, so that is something that interests me as well! But yeah, it's a bit of a topsey turvy game of what i'm thinking of doing, i'll hopefully choose soon, as there are really alot of areas i'm interested in, but at least they are all science based. (Pharmsci looks awesome as well...... but also the campus is far away :(, then again so is RMIT and Unimelb.....) 
On a quick note, the majors I am interested in, chemistry (duh), biochem, immunology, pathology, microbio (can someone tell me the difference between micro and molecular bio?), food science and potentially geology (not super interested in this, but I wouldn't mind taking a class in it to see if I like it). An important part that I want the option of is to learn a language in uni, preferably mandarin, Spanish or Russian (maybe french?), so that is something that I look at when choosing what i'd like to do as well. So many options...

Also, i'm thinking of potentially taking a gap year, not sure if I want to yet, but I've come to realise that for years, all I have done is study without much rest for my health condition, and I think finally taking some time off without the looming idea that i'll have to work hard again may be good for me. I'm also so burnt out, and with the covid situation, I can't imagine doing a science degree without labs....

English
I'm bored. The movie was like like a house on fire, technically great in all the literature/arts boxes, but I couldn't get into it, I was bored out of my mind. It was Charlie's Country btw. See, I feel like i'm already going down negative lane... opps. Other than that, pretty happy with how my "not really an oral SAC" turned out, i'm quite pleased with the layout and how I displayed my plans for an argument, now it's just up to my teachers.

Food Studies
Going into GMO's this week which is really interesting, as that's what my report will be about, so i'm looking forward to it. Not much to report on this subject, i'm a little scared of the workload, and i've had to postpone some practical activities for health reasons but it's going okay. For my practical activity last week, I had to make a meal using left overs to avoid food waste, and I ended up finding a wicked recipe for banana oat pancakes, they were awesome! They may become a staple breakfast item...

Methods
Lets not go there, I cried too much over this subject. I'm 4 weeks behind, a SAC next week and I struggle doing sums..

Chemistry
I have a SAC tomorrow, it's kind of an odd one, doing a part of it as an online lesson watching videos of reactions, and then doing an online SAC right after. I'm not looking forward to it, as I haven't studied that much for it, but i'm looking forward to getting it out of the way.

Wow, I think that was one of the shortest updates I gave for my subjects... Anyway, that about covers where i'm at, as I said not much going on right now outside of the regular SACs and VCE, so that's it from me. Hope everyone reading is doing okay in quarantine, and good luck with the online study! I just reread the update and wow that was all over the place, this update was kind of a word vomit of everything, so hopefully everyone got through that unscathed!
Hey Geoo!  ;D
Aww, hope you feel better soon. Demotivation is plaguing me as well and it's honestly so annoying because we can never get work done...hope you get your motivation back soon. There's not long to go for exams (3 months, what?!), so hang in there. Same feels here. When I'm behind in maths, I find it so hard to catch up with all the exercises. Good luck with the methods sac! Hopefully VCAA can do something about that and help you, but yeah the virus is spreading so quickly and it's so scary. I'm hoping that it gets better but at the rate things are going, that's looking very unlikely.  :(

Have a great weekend too!
So sorry for taking so long to reply, thank you for you kind words, i'm still not feeling amazing but i'm getting there. Yes, if motivation was a commodity, i'd buy it in bulk. I hope you are finding your motivation at the moment, and I can't believe there is only 3 months to go it's crazy! Good thing the GAT got moved :) It does feel mountainess when it comes to catching up on all those maths sums, thanks for the good luck, and best of luck wit your studies as well!

Hi Geoo! You probably don't remember me but I used to chat with you on this journal earlier on. I've finally caught up now and it's been such an interesting read. I look forward to reading more updates!Bahahaha I'm doing Tracks as well. Personally I think the first 100 pages are a bit dry but it picks up when she leaves for her trip. Are you doing Into the Wild for the movie?
I totally remember you! I was always wondering where you went but I saw you around the forms from time to time, so it's nice to hear from you again! I'm glad you have enjoyed my journal, it's a bit wonky in some areas but it's always nice to know others are reading along! It's awesome that you have started your own journal as well. I guess I can only hope it gets better, because pushing past those pages is ridiculously hard to do! I like the writing style, but the plot is very bland, so i'm hoping it does pick up. I'm not doing Into the Wild, which does look pretty decent for a VCE movie, but I am doing Charlie's Country, which is okay plot wise. It's nice hearing from you again :)