Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:07:27 am

Author Topic: Websites for research  (Read 16594 times)  Share 

jess3254

Websites for research
« on: May 27, 2008, 02:54:38 pm »
+2
I've gathered some good websites for research. (Please add any links if you've got some good ones) Hope they help

General 
MSN Encarta
About.com
Wikipedia
Infomine
Librarians’ internet index
Intute
BUBL link
National library of Australia
Columbia encyclopedia
World book online (requires password)
Britannica online (requires password)
Ebscohost (requires password)
Info please
Bartleby reference
Who’s who (requires password)
The economist (requires password)
Discovery education streaming
A research guide for students

Search engines (other than google)
Mooter
Vivisimo
Kartoo

For finding books
Libraries Australia

Newspaper archives/ current affairs
Echo online (password required)
The Age education archive
Elibrary – password required
Newseum
World newspapers
World news
Google news
ABYZ news links
Newspaper index
The paper boy
Online newspapers
Enews print
The paper index
Read latest news

Statistics and info
CIA world fact book
Australian Bureau of statistics
Reserve bank of Australia
World health organisation
City population
World gazetteer
Country briefings
Population reference
Know your area
Yahoo factbook

Subject specific:

Science/maths specific
Science specific search engine
Science digital library
Maths and science websites

Economics
Economics resources and links
Australian government economics links

Geography/ maps/ environmental science/ history etc
National land and water resources audit
Mapmachine
Street directory
Google maps
world Gazetteer Site which contains information about current population of countries and their characteristics etc
Mapquest (US biased)
Embassy world
Multimap
Atlapedia (Key facts about countries, political maps etc)
Outline maps
Graphic maps
World Atlas
History and geography links

History
Documents in history
Schoolnet history
History links

Literature/ English
Literature plus (PM me for pw)
Quote land
Literature classics

Psychology
Virtual library of philosophy and psychology
Social science information gateway
British academy portal of psychology
Neuroscience on the internet
Encyclopaedia of psychology
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 11:14:49 am by jess3254 »

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
Re: Websites for research
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 03:59:28 pm »
Quite the comprehensive list, thank you very much for this. Stickied, and will be added to Viki when it gets going.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 04:01:03 pm by enwiabe »

mark_alec

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 04:32:18 pm »
wikipedia?

jess3254

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 04:42:38 pm »
No problem. It's not complete yet though, I'm trying to find some research sites for other subjects which are more specific.

Also, a few of the websites I've provided require a password. Some schools will have passwords for these, others won't... I've suggested people PM me for my school's pw if their school doesn't have one, however I don't know how this will work on viki?

wikipedia?

Lol, Wikipedia isn't accepted as a reference by the majority of teachers.

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 05:10:49 pm »
No problem. It's not complete yet though, I'm trying to find some research sites for other subjects which are more specific.

Also, a few of the websites I've provided require a password. Some schools will have passwords for these, others won't... I've suggested people PM me for my school's pw if their school doesn't have one, however I don't know how this will work on viki?
it wont :P
it'll be along the lines of "requires subscription: contact your school to check your subscription details"

wikipedia?

Lol, Wikipedia isn't accepted as a reference by the majority of teachers.

it is actually quite comprehensive and correct [if not over the top] for science topics. =)
my teachers support it =P
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

jess3254

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 05:18:25 pm »
it is actually quite comprehensive and correct [if not over the top] for science topics. =)

It can be good, however I think students need to move beyond google and wikipedia. My teachers will not accept it as a point of reference. I went on a page and found that someone had written a whole lot of crap on adhesive capsulitis which had been there for MONTHS, and it sounded really credible too.

Besides, my aim was to provide websites which many students wouldn't have heard of which are very useful. Most people know of wikipedia, so it would be a little pointless lol.

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 05:24:55 pm »
3/4 of everything I know traces back to wikipedia. :D
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 05:32:47 pm »

It can be good, however I think students need to move beyond google and wikipedia. My teachers will not accept it as a point of reference. I went on a page and found that someone had written a whole lot of crap on adhesive capsulitis which had been there for MONTHS, and it sounded really credible too.

Besides, my aim was to provide websites which many students wouldn't have heard of which are very useful. Most people know of wikipedia, so it would be a little pointless lol.
sure, but wikipedia shouldnt be invalidated because some of it is not "completely" true

for popular topics [in the major disciplines, especially for math/science things], wikipedia articles have been rigorously edited and re-edited, and can be trusted to give you a lot of what you need.

whilst other options should be explored, it seems ridiculous that the greatest resources central to this time, Google and Wikipedia, are discouraged by a school.
Britannica and print publications are things of the past :P
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

jess3254

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 05:34:16 pm »
Ok lol, you've convinced me, I'll include it

(But most people know of it anyways :))

jess3254

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 09:35:12 am »
sure, but wikipedia shouldnt be invalidated because some of it is not "completely" true

for popular topics [in the major disciplines, especially for math/science things], wikipedia articles have been rigorously edited and re-edited, and can be trusted to give you a lot of what you need.

whilst other options should be explored, it seems ridiculous that the greatest resources central to this time, Google and Wikipedia, are discouraged by a school.
Britannica and print publications are things of the past :P

Actually, the fact that some of it isn't reliable is a good reason not to use it as a reference for projects. My teachers don't discourage us from using wikipedia to enhance our knowledge, however they won't accept it as a reference for a project or essay, and rightly so. Instead they encourage us to see the original journal articles and interpret them for ourselves.

No, the internet is one of the biggest resources central to our time. To only use google and wikipedia, and not access all the other great websites which has a wealth of information, is absolutely stupid lol. :P

But yeah, I've added it anyway. It is a good website to increase your knowledge etc
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 10:05:34 am by jess3254 »

mark_alec

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 05:41:43 pm »
Reference != Research

brendan

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 03:54:27 pm »
The  World lecture hall from the University of Texas at Austin contains links to pages created by faculty worldwide who are using the Web to deliver class materials.
http://web.austin.utexas.edu/wlh/index.cfm

Free lecture notes, exams, and videos from MIT.
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm

Harvard Business School citation guide
http://www.library.hbs.edu/guides/citationguide.pdf

wombifat

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 11:18:59 pm »

what you ARE allowed to do is use wikipedia and then cite the sources cited by wikipedia.

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +256
  • School: Melbourne High School
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 11:32:30 pm »
heres another search engine (not sure u have heard of it); errr.....google
Hence the 'other than google' tag.

what you ARE allowed to do is use wikipedia and then cite the sources cited by wikipedia.
People always say this but a large majority of the information isn't cited anyway from what I've seen and I've had trouble following that advice with my uni work, so I tend to move to other sources.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

saaaaaam

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 12:16:25 pm »
Sparknotes ( http://www.sparknotes.com/ ) is a great website with english and literature study guides.
The dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.