Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:04:37 am

Author Topic: Legal Question HELP  (Read 612 times)  Share 

destain

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Good morning
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Melbourne High School
Legal Question HELP
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:05:45 pm »
Distinguish between representative government and responsible governement..

Apparently the definition of both basically isnt enough even with slight examples.
You need to tell the DIFFERNECE..
But I don't get how you do that as the differnnce is blindingly obvious if you just read definitions

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
Re: Legal Question HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 09:38:47 pm »
Blech. I get your point.

After starting with the basic definitions I would go to:

- Rep govt is about giving our MPs and government power, whereas resp govt is about holding them accountable for the way in which they use that power.

Then, the example of elections can be used to show the difference:

- Elections are important to both principles, and can be used to demonstrate how they are different. In rep govt, elections are the means by which MPs and (indirectly) government gain the power and authority to govern the country and rule the people. By voting in elections, people give power to their chosen representatives. In resp govt, however, elections function as a tool to ensure accountability. The executive government is held indirectly accountable by the people because, if the people are unhappy with the way in which the government has used its power, they can change their vote at the next election to hold the government accountable.

VCAA hasn't before asked a 'compare and contrast' question with these two - but anything is possible and, as you say, distinguishing between the two requires a more explicit comparison than just giving contrasting definitions.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!