Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:21:00 am

Author Topic: Accepting Two Offers?  (Read 6109 times)  Share 

dualcitizen

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Accepting Two Offers?
« on: October 17, 2020, 06:56:58 pm »
Hello, I received two offers from my UAC applications. One from UNSW and one from Univerity of Sydney. I'm still waiting for an offer from VTAC schools. Now the question is: am I allowed to accept both offers? Or do I have to pick one and accept only that one and decline the other? Over here in the States, you generally would not accept both, so I'm just curious if I'm allowed to accept both for now and then withdraw later on.

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
  • Respect: +81
Re: Accepting Two Offers?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 09:41:01 pm »
+6
Hey there dualcitizen :)

First of all, congrats on receiving not one but 2 offers! That is amazing.
From knowledge, you can only accept one offer but you can overlap these offers (i.e. not selecting to decline or accept until all offers come in). If you have your heart set on either UNSW or University of Sydney, do accept your top preference.

Hope this helps
2019: 1/2 Psych

2020: English, Bio, Chem, Psych, HHD, Methods

2021: bye bye psych :D

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 11:08:07 pm »
+7
Hello, I received two offers from my UAC applications. One from UNSW and one from Univerity of Sydney. I'm still waiting for an offer from VTAC schools. Now the question is: am I allowed to accept both offers? Or do I have to pick one and accept only that one and decline the other? Over here in the States, you generally would not accept both, so I'm just curious if I'm allowed to accept both for now and then withdraw later on.

Hey, dualcitizen!

Congratulations on both of your offers! That's an absolutely outstanding achievement. I'm not entirely sure how it works if you are an international student but this is what the UAC says about the number of offers you can have.

"You can only receive one offer in each offer round. If you receive an offer in one round and accept it, and then receive an offer in a later round, you can choose either to:
- keep your previous offer and not accept your new offer, or
- accept your new offer and withdraw from the course you've already accepted."

In short, I'm in agreement with scientificllama that it would be wise to accept the offer you prefer more and if you're unsure, just accept the one you received first and take your time to decide whether you want to take the second one instead  :) Hope that helps and do let us know what you decide to do!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 07:49:52 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

dualcitizen

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 05:33:49 pm »
Hey there dualcitizen :)

First of all, congrats on receiving not one but 2 offers! That is amazing.
From knowledge, you can only accept one offer but you can overlap these offers (i.e. not selecting to decline or accept until all offers come in). If you have your heart set on either UNSW or University of Sydney, do accept your top preference.

Hope this helps

Thank you for your reply. I have a slight problem, however, which is that University of Sydney requested that I would accept the offer within 10 days while stating that "after this we cannot guarantee you a place, and your offer may expire," which worries me. UNSW did not say anything of that sort. Do you think they would actually follow through on that.

Also, do you know if these schools allow me to stack my schedule so that I can finish within 4 years? The major I have selected for University of Sydney lists a completion time of 5 years (Bachelor of Advanced Computing + Bachelor of Commerce). However, a similar major at UNSW lists a completion time of 4 years, which may sway my decision.

dualcitizen

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 05:35:44 pm »
Hey, dualcitizen!

Congratulations on both of your offers! That's an absolutely outstanding achievement. I'm not entirely sure how it works if you are an international student but this is what the UAC says about the number of offers you can have.

"You can only receive one offer in each offer round. If you receive an offer in one round and accept it, and then receive an offer in a later round, you can choose either to:
- keep your previous offer and not accept your new offer, or
- accept your new offer and withdraw from the course you've already accepted."

In short, I'm in agreement with scientificllama that it would be wise to accept the offer you prefer more and if you're unsure, just accept the one you received first and take your time to decide whether you want to take the second one instead  :) Hope that helps and do let us know what you decide to do!

Angelina  ;D

Thank you for your reply, and I appreciate the advice given. Could you please see the reply above? I understand it would make more sense to accept UNSW first, but considering University of Sydney mentioned a "10 day" deadline, would it make more sense to accept University of Sydney instead? Technically, I believe I'm a domestic student with international qualifications. Although I'm not sure if that changes anything.

Thank you for your reply. I have a slight problem, however, which is that University of Sydney requested that I would accept the offer within 10 days while stating that "after this we cannot guarantee you a place, and your offer may expire," which worries me. UNSW did not say anything of that sort. Do you think they would actually follow through on that.

Also, do you know if these schools allow me to stack my schedule so that I can finish within 4 years? The major I have selected for University of Sydney lists a completion time of 5 years (Bachelor of Advanced Computing + Bachelor of Commerce). However, a similar major at UNSW lists a completion time of 4 years, which may sway my decision.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 10:30:08 pm »
+2
Thank you for your reply, and I appreciate the advice given. Could you please see the reply above? I understand it would make more sense to accept UNSW first, but considering University of Sydney mentioned a "10 day" deadline, would it make more sense to accept University of Sydney instead? Technically, I believe I'm a domestic student with international qualifications. Although I'm not sure if that changes anything.

Hey, dualcitizen!

It would make more sense then if there's a deadline to accept USYD's first. I think you asking us this suggests that you want to consider it properly and I think that is a sign that you are more likely to regret not accepting it and potentially missing out on a spot. I don't know the logistics of the degree or how your situation works as a domestic student with international qualifications but you could investigate those by contacting the help desks of both universities.

I also don't know much about how the degree you want operates but USYD does have summer and winter school sessions so if your units are available during then, you could fast track your degree and end up finishing it in four years. Either way, I don't think the length of the degree should influence too much of your decision. It's more worth considering what each degree offers and what you can gain from doing them, regardless how long you're spending time in it  :D Hopefully that helps a little but feel free to follow up with more questions!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

dualcitizen

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 11:13:15 am »
Hey, dualcitizen!

It would make more sense then if there's a deadline to accept USYD's first. I think you asking us this suggests that you want to consider it properly and I think that is a sign that you are more likely to regret not accepting it and potentially missing out on a spot. I don't know the logistics of the degree or how your situation works as a domestic student with international qualifications but you could investigate those by contacting the help desks of both universities.

I also don't know much about how the degree you want operates but USYD does have summer and winter school sessions so if your units are available during then, you could fast track your degree and end up finishing it in four years. Either way, I don't think the length of the degree should influence too much of your decision. It's more worth considering what each degree offers and what you can gain from doing them, regardless how long you're spending time in it  :D Hopefully that helps a little but feel free to follow up with more questions!

Angelina  ;D

Thank you Angelina! Do you, by any chance, know anything about the Dalyell Scholars program? I found out that I received an invitation, however, from what I'm seeing on Reddit and various sites, it seems to be too new of a program to be worth spending time on. Do you have any thoughts on this?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 12:27:36 pm »
+1
Thank you Angelina! Do you, by any chance, know anything about the Dalyell Scholars program? I found out that I received an invitation, however, from what I'm seeing on Reddit and various sites, it seems to be too new of a program to be worth spending time on. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Hey, dualcitizen!

That's very exciting to hear! I know a few people who are Dalyell Scholars and I've heard mixed responses about the program. A number of them feel pressured (pretty sure you need to have a certain WAM average or something but I don't know this for sure) and feel that it can rigorous at times. Others have not so much of a problem and enjoy being a part of it. Here is the page on USYD for it if you wanted to explore it more and to contact the university for further questions about it  :D If you want enrichment opportunities and a challenge in your university experience, it might be worth spending time on it despite it being a fairly new initiative but it's up to you whether you think it's right for you!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-