Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:49:27 am

Author Topic: [Standard English] Common Module. I Am Malala. Essay  (Read 2306 times)  Share 

Denn

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
[Standard English] Common Module. I Am Malala. Essay
« on: September 14, 2020, 11:36:13 am »
This is a Essay i quickly wrote up for mod a with I Am Malala.
Some parts are quite poor (like the first sentence) and there are a lot of issues with grammar and stuff.
but would b thankful for any feedback
cheers

Examine how texts represent human qualities and emotions associated with, or arising from, their experiences 

Literature explores the human qualities and emotions which arise amid individual and collective experiences. In her memoir ‘I Am Malala” Malala Yousafzai and Christina Lamb explore the motivations and behaviours which are derived from experiences of religious extremism, causing individuals to reflect on their own personal qualities and emotions. Yousafzai’s fear of restricted access to education motivates her passion and courage to stand out, highlighting the inconsistent nature of her emotions and enabling responders to appreciate these emotions and qualities. Yousafzai’s experiences of gender-based prejudice continues to evoke her pride and strength as she refuses to adhere to the harsh regulations of the extremists, the paradox of strength arising amid adversity encourages the responder to see the world as  full of opportunity to make a difference. The human qualities and emotions arising and associated with Yousafzai’s life in Taliban occupied Pakistan cause the responder to reflect personally and see the world differently.

Yousafzai’s experiences of religious extremism provide insight into her qualities and emotions. The metaphor, “The Taliban bulldozed both our Pashtun values and the values of Islam” illustrates how the Taliban demolished and destroyed the religious principles held by Yousafzai and her family. The ruinous nature of the extremists enables the reader to begin to appreciate the oppression faced by Yousafzai and causes them to ponder her potential response. The accusatory and questioning dialogue, “what are you doing? Asked the father of one of the children. If the Taliban see you’re giving water in the month of Ramadan they will bomb us” highlights the oppression experienced collectively by those living under the Taliban. The anomaly of having to obey the extremist, or risk being killed, causes the responder to further comprehend the adversity faced, enabling for increased appreciation of Yousafzai’s qualities when making a stand amid life threatening circumstances. The use of a hypophora is intrinsic to expressing Yousafzai’s strength and courage, “Who is Malala? I am Malala and this is my story.” Yousafzai’s strength is expressed as a quality as she makes a stand exposing herself to the Taliban. The direct response to her intended murder demonstrates the protagonist’s courage and audacity and allows the responder to admire her chutzpah. The oppression experienced by Yousafzai, and indeed all those living under the fundamentalists, intuitively reveals her qualities and emotions as arising amid such adversity as she effectively attempts to make her world a better place, encouraging individuals to reflect on their own response to adversity and to see the world as full of potential to be a better place.

The deprivation of a right to education evokes Yousafzai’s passion and determination as she fears of an uneducated future. The simile “Our words were like the eucalyptus blossoms of spring, tossed away on the wind’ creates an image of her words as momentary pieces of passion which are unable to gain a foothold and impact those in authority. The imagery further highlights her fear of an uneducated future, as her words are ‘tossed away’, expressing the inconsistencies of her emotions as she utilizes her fear to drive her passion. Yousafzai’s passion for education is further reinforced in the parallelism, ‘The school was my world and the world was my school.’ Her emotional intellect is evident in the aligning of the nouns ‘school’ and ‘world’, highlighting her distinct passion for education. The Taliban deprive Yousafzai of her human right to education sparking a courageous and tenacious response, “How dare the Taliban take away my basic right to education” High modality and accusatory language highlights the individual qualities and emotions of the persona as she passionately and courageously accuses the extremists of such deprivation. The admirable audacity allows responders to envisage the world in an opportunistic light as they reflect their personal human qualities and emotions, particularly those associated with adversity. Yousafzai’s passion for education is amplified through her courage in pursuing a basic human right, allowing responders to witness her human qualities and emotions enabling them to reflect personally and to see the world differently. 

Yousafzai, and the characters throughout her memoir, endure experiences of gender-based prejudice which provoke pride and strength within the individuals. The modality dialogue of the Taliban toward Yousafzai’s mother, “you must wear a burqa” highlights the oppression faced by women under the Taliban as they were forced to adhere to harsh restrictions. The dialogue utilizes pathos to encourage the reader to empathize with the women of Pakistan and cause them to see their own emotions as impacted by the oppression of another. Yousafzai’s pride for her gender is evident in the line “Pashtun women are powerful and strong” The statement of the qualities of Pashtun women, through the coupling of the descriptors ‘powerful’ and ‘strong’ enable us to see her inherent pride. Yousafzai’s continued ability to stand out against discrimination further encourages the reader to appreciate her qualities of power and strength and admire her emotions of pride and passion. The rhetorical question, “Who is Malala?’ he demanded. No one said anything, but several of the girls looked at me. I was the only girl with my face not covered.” Highlights Yousafzai’s innate temperament in refusing to abide within the regulations of the Taliban. The anomaly of not wearing a burqa when it is the social norm for women in Pakistan highlights her determination and pride to stand out amid oppression; the anomaly further encouraging the responder to reflect on their own response to adversity. Yousafzai’s experiences of gender-based prejudice evokes her pride and determination, allowing responders to empathize with her experience whilst reflecting on their own personal experiences.

Yousafzai’s memoir, “I Am Malala” explores the individual and collective experiences of religious extremism. Through depicting the oppression faced Yousafzai explores how this adversity inspired qualities of passion and pride and evoked emotions of fear, courage strength and determination. The anomalies, inconsistencies and paradoxes of Yousafzia’s motivations and behaviors when faced with restricted access to education and gender discrimination encourage the audience to reflect personally on their qualities and emotions and to see the world in a new light, as full of opportunities.