Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:10:07 am

Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 4778 times)  Share 

_rohan.r_

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
COVID-19
« on: April 04, 2020, 09:46:24 am »
+3
Hey everyone,

I am in year 8 sitting the selective exam this year. As you know, the exam is in about 2 months, and I wanted to know if the COVID-19 is going to have an impact on the exam? Overall, do you guys think the year 9 entry exam will still go on this year ? Thanks  :)

_rohan.r_

• Trailblazer
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 02:56:29 pm »
+1
Yeah I agree, but you can't forget the fact that there is over 3,000+ students sitting in a confined environment.  I am currently attending tutoring at Spectrum tuition and have been scoring over 90% in general, but we have not done our mock exams yet. I believe I will be doing my mock exams in a few weeks from now on! I'm only going for MHS as I live in Bundoora and the city is my only option! SCHS and NHS are about 2 and a half hours away from me.

_rohan.r_

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 03:38:31 pm »
+1
Yeah, I have already completed the exams on the de Roza and government website. I did really well on the exams on the government website.

_rohan.r_

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 03:40:39 pm »
I don't think we will sit the exam in a confined enviroment, for the past years the exam has taken place in the royal exhibition building and it for this year it has been moved to the melbourne show grounds. Not to sure if you have been there, but the melbourne show grounds has multiple rooms/sheds, and we will probably be divided in those rooms. And its really great you are scoring over 90's at spectrum, but you should complete mock exams, such as the ones on de ronza or the department of education, but they are a lot easier than the ones at my tutoring and probably the real exam. But it can still certainly strengthen your skills.

The exams on the De Roza website are slightly more challenging and I believe the real exam will be more similar to it than the one on the government website.

_rohan.r_

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 04:26:53 pm »
+1
I agree, they're slightly more challenging, but still easier. For instance, the mathematics test just comprised of straight foward questions, whereas the real exm will most likely have worded questions too.

Yep, definitely. I think the purpose of the De Roza papers is for you to understand the basics (base) of the question, then you have to know how to apply it into a worded problem.

qwerty124

• Trailblazer
  • None
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 06:05:56 pm »
+1
Imagine if they tested every student for corona before the test lol
But hopefully the test will still be happening
Good luck  :)

_rohan.r_

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 09:57:35 pm »
+1
Hey, I have seen you in the fourm before, did u end up getting into MHS? If not, don't worry you can always try again!! :))

Sure, we could definitely study together, is there any way we can contact each other, what socials do you have?

_rohan.r_

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 10:00:14 pm »
+1
Imagine if they tested every student for corona before the test lol
But hopefully the test will still be happening
Good luck  :)

That's what my dad was saying haha, of course he was joking though!

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 10:32:39 pm »
+1
There have been cancellations of many many important exams already so far. It is quite possible your selective entry exam might have to be completed online with some sort of online proctoring (through webcam, measuring key strokes etc) used to combat cheating. This is happening with quite a few university level exams and notably for me the GAMSAT for medical entrance.

Also just a side note past decade has shown the government practice exams online are not indicative of the real exam. The real exam is typically more challenging.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

velichxrr

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 11:47:26 am »
+1
Hey everyone,

I am in year 8 sitting the selective exam this year. As you know, the exam is in about 2 months, and I wanted to know if the COVID-19 is going to have an impact on the exam? Overall, do you guys think the year 9 entry exam will still go on this year ? Thanks  :)

This is a bit late but I am also sitting the selective entrance exam this year. I think the exam will go on because the school definitely needs students. Maybe they won't have an entrance examination, but rather the SEU asks the schools administration for reports on the students and for teachers to make recommendations on students. That would be extremely beneficial to me as I am studying interstate and nobody else is applying for the exam from my school due to my "interstateness" and because the 5% rule doesn't apply to me (unless 5% of me can get in) I called them and they said "no information can be provided at this time." I hope there is no exam though, because I am from a small town (ACT) and seeing 3000 people will scare me a lot! Maybe I will try and do the exam interstate...

happy121

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 01:34:00 pm »
Hey everyone,

Hi so I know this is a little late but I am also doing the selective test and applying for Mac Rob, and also do tutoring at James An. I am not the best on Reading comprehension, anyone have any tips on how I can improve.

happy121

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2020, 01:51:54 pm »
This is a bit late but I am also sitting the selective entrance exam this year. I think the exam will go on because the school definitely needs students. Maybe they won't have an entrance examination, but rather the SEU asks the schools administration for reports on the students and for teachers to make recommendations on students. That would be extremely beneficial to me as I am studying interstate and nobody else is applying for the exam from my school due to my "interstateness" and because the 5% rule doesn't apply to me (unless 5% of me can get in) I called them and they said "no information can be provided at this time." I hope there is no exam though, because I am from a small town (ACT) and seeing 3000 people will scare me a lot! Maybe I will try and do the exam interstate...
Hi,
Which school are you applying for? :D

velichxrr

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 02:42:49 pm »
Hi,
Which school are you applying for? :D

I listed Mac.Rob, Nossal and then Suzanne in that order. I would be lucky to even be able to step foot in one of those schools haha! Also, sorry for saying "interstateness," I was extremely tired and most likely hungry  :P

SanchaTheSeeker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 07:11:46 pm »
It has to still go on. Mum reckons they might get you guys to sit it at your schools like what they do with the NSW SEHS exams in Year 6. No one knows what's going to happen but you'll be notified when they know :D
Good luck
“Our life is a constant journey, from birth to death. The landscape changes, the people change, our needs change, but the train keeps moving. Life is the train, not the station.”

― Paulo Coelho

Train nerd, Venturer Scout, and JMSS hoomun

JMSS guide: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189547

ig: @sfaunncgha

Suzie99.95

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 02:24:05 pm »
The 5% rule applies to Interstate as well!

I think you are wrong there. By reading the information package it says that Interstate will be in one category and also fall under this rule. So it depends how many others from interstate are sitting. My cousins are too!