Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:24:02 am

Author Topic: What gets/got you through Year 12?  (Read 11038 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
What gets/got you through Year 12?
« on: April 04, 2019, 06:24:19 pm »
+1
Couldn't find a topic like this, so here we go.
A very thought-provoking question indeed. As you can tell from my sig, I'm in my final year! (Not sure if excited or petrified) I've just finished Term 1 (1/3 of the way there!!!) but this week has been comparatively poor in terms of my study habits. Don't know if it's burnout or if I'm just completely over it. So I ask you all ANers, what kept you going in spite of those days/weeks which you just couldn't be stuffed?
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: What gets/got you through Year 12?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 11:55:29 am »
+10
For me, the key things were:

- not expecting myself to study all the time - allow time for leisure/social/sporting stuff, and don't hate yourself for wanting to do things that aren't school related
- think of the end goal - I really wanted to get into physio, so when I struggled I just tried to remind myself that I was putting in the effort now to get myself to where I wanted to be in the future
- remember that year 12 isn't the be all and end all, so if you don't do well on a SAC or don't study well for a few weeks, don't sweat it - just think about what you can do in the future to help yourself

Most of all, when I really struggled, I just got myself through one day at a time. Definitely helped with my stress levels :)

vceme

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 12:26:55 pm »
+7
-rewarding myself after a sac (hang out with friends, movie marathon etc.)
-do non-school related things every-night. i.e exercising, talking to friends etc.
-if i'm seriously having a down, low-energy type of day, it's just better to not study because even if you do, chances are very little will be absorbed. rather, spend the night to rejuvenate so you have more energy for tomorrow.
-ranting (or complaining  ;D) to my friends
-see your school counsellor :)
Graduated in 2018. Top 5%.

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 09:05:27 pm »
+2
I have an additional question related to the OP. Is motivation the key to getting through the year? Was it all about maintaining motivation? I mean, since it's a feeling, it won't last. I'm certainly feeling none at all right now.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 12:01:48 am »
+9
I have an additional question related to the OP. Is motivation the key to getting through the year? Was it all about maintaining motivation? I mean, since it's a feeling, it won't last. I'm certainly feeling none at all right now.
Nah, definitely not the key. I'd say I felt thoroughly un-motivated for the great majority of year 12 lol. What's really important is self-discipline. Sure, you could wait for that once in a blue moon moment where you want to spend the whole day studying, or you could put in a smaller, consistent effort every day for better outcomes. Having the self-discipline to say "nah, I'll watch this video/tv show or I'll go on social media after I've finished my tasks for the night" instead of choosing to do what you want first is what will set you apart from other people.

NomotivationF

• Forum Obsessive
  • Serial procrastinator
  • Respect: +93
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 12:27:06 am »
+2
Nah, definitely not the key. I'd say I felt thoroughly un-motivated for the great majority of year 12 lol. What's really important is self-discipline. Sure, you could wait for that once in a blue moon moment where you want to spend the whole day studying, or you could put in a smaller, consistent effort every day for better outcomes. Having the self-discipline to say "nah, I'll watch this video/tv show or I'll go on social media after I've finished my tasks for the night" instead of choosing to do what you want first is what will set you apart from other people.

Yeah but isn't having the self discipline to say something like 'nah, I'll watch this video/tv show or I'll go on social media after I've finished my tasks for the night' a form of motivation? I think I wouldn't care enough about finishing my homework (which I see as a lack of motivation) to stop myself from watching a TV show
Offering tutoring for Economics, Further Maths and Psychology
(Email [email protected])
(Mobile - 0435076426)

My journey through VCE

How I got a Raw 48 in Economics

2018 - Accounting [42] Further Maths [44]
2019 - English [39] Economics [48] Psychology [44] Maths methods [33]
ATAR - 97.5
2020-2023 - Ba Commerce/Science @Monash

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 08:49:48 am »
+7
For most of the year I thought I wanted to study a course where I only needed a 70ish ATAR to get in, but I was studying to get as high as I could - so there were points where I was thinking to myself "why are you trying so hard?". What kept me trying is:
- wanting to do something different for my school. The school hadn't had a 90+ ATAR in a while and the year before when I got 47 in biology I noticed my cohort started lifting their goals and believing in themselves more
- wanting to keep my options open.  (As it turns out, I did change into a course where the ATAR cut off was higher)
- the potential for getting a scholarship
- potential resume impact (expect this isn't really a thing outside tutoring....)
- wanting to do my best so I'd have no regrets

Things that enabled me to have a headspace conducive to self-dicipline
- practice & building habits from last year
- sleep
- seeing a counsellor

Yeah but isn't having the self discipline to say something like 'nah, I'll watch this video/tv show or I'll go on social media after I've finished my tasks for the night' a form of motivation? I think I wouldn't care enough about finishing my homework (which I see as a lack of motivation) to stop myself from watching a TV show

Imo no - maybe this is something that could be split off and made into its own thread?

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 12:57:27 pm »
+2
I've been told this was a bad idea but I'll just put it here and you can choose whether or not you think it'll work for you -

What kept me motivated was not having any back-up plans. I had one goal - BA with a GDP at Melbourne, and never asked myself 'What if I don't get in?'. I saw having back-up options as halfway to giving up so it was kind of the mentality of 'get in or else'. I had applied to other schools in my VTAC application (as my school made me fill up all 8 spots), but never applied for accommodation for them, thus I made Melbourne my only feasible option.

And it wasn't just back-up options regarding schools or courses - I initially planned on a vocational career path until my original career goals went down the drain before year 12 started and I was left with the options of either 'study hard and going to uni' or 'Centrelink'.

Another thing was the thought of proving to others that I am capable of making it to uni. When my peers and teachers first found out that I was planning to take VCE seriously the collective response was 'What a joke. He'll never get in', and it acted as motivation for me to prove them wrong.
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 06:55:28 pm »
What does it actually mean to have self-discipline? What is 'self-discipline' about?

And is there any benefit to self-criticism after multiple days of procrastinating on schoolwork?

This is an excerpt from the following article on AN https://atarnotes.com/work-ethic/

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.’ – Tim Notke

I see this quote all the time in almost every single classroom at school. As cliche as this quote sounds, it really is important to establish a strong work ethic. Even though it would be great to be able to wing an exam, many of us aren’t lucky enough to be able to score perfect marks and thrive on stress. This is why motivation is the key to success.

What do you make of this? Does motivation level play any sort of contributing role in someone's academic performance?

EDIT: Additional question, do short-term rewards for studying really work? (i.e. sweet treats and time with friends) Or was it more long-term rewards like your uni course that kept you going?

EDIT 2: How much time should I set aside to 'relax'? Because if just use the time left over after studying, surely there'll be no time left?

Mod Edit: Merged double post. In future please avoid double-posting unless you have a very strong reason (eg it's your journey journal and you're posting your next update)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:36:39 pm by JR_StudyEd »

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 07:50:32 pm »
Mods, it's been more than 7 days! This is not a double post (I think)

To start, I've loved all your responses! Thank you very much. I see a common theme, that of mindset and the intangibles. How about the influence of other people? Who inspired you to do your best and keep going? How did they inspire you?

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 04:48:29 pm »
+1
Mods, it's been more than 7 days! This is not a double post (I think)

To start, I've loved all your responses! Thank you very much. I see a common theme, that of mindset and the intangibles. How about the influence of other people? Who inspired you to do your best and keep going? How did they inspire you?

Interesting question. I had a family member go through VCE a few years before I did, so I was in a lucky position in one sense because I knew roughly what was required (at least to a degree). And they could help me out with things like what a SAC was, some good ways to prepare for exams etc.

Honestly I developed some good relationships with a couple of my teachers and didn't want to let them down.

What's your biggest motivation atm, JR?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 06:36:57 pm »
+2
What's your biggest motivation atm, JR?
Oh boy. Nah jk. I try to think about the feeling I get when they tell me to put my pen down in my final. VCE exam. ever. Pure, unadulterated satisfaction that I gave it all I had. The knowledge that my efforts to give it my all were 100% worth it.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 04:57:41 pm »
Oh boy. Nah jk. I try to think about the feeling I get when they tell me to put my pen down in my final. VCE exam. ever. Pure, unadulterated satisfaction that I gave it all I had. The knowledge that my efforts to give it my all were 100% worth it.

Nice one. Gotta hold on to what works for you. I had these thoughts through Year 12 also!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 07:50:16 pm »
+4
Honestly I developed some good relationships with a couple of my teachers and didn't want to let them down.
I can relate to this quite strongly. I have had most of my teachers for a couple of years previously and get along with them great. As such, all of my teachers seem to really praise me and tell me that I've gotta get that top score and beat the top study scores of last year. Their enthusiasm for my personal learning does really have a downstream effect on motivating me, if not for my own success but out of respect for them.

Other than that, my motivations to study are quite mixed and often change. While sometimes I find myself motivated by a particularly potent passion for science, other times I am primarily driven by a competitive spirit in wanting to beat my friends in the next test. Other times - particularly when I'm tired, my motivation to study banks entirely on Poet and her disappointed glare.

Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Krycek

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 08:00:21 pm »
+3
I can relate to this quite strongly. I have had most of my teachers for a couple of years previously and get along with them great. As such, all of my teachers seem to really praise me and tell me that I've gotta get that top score and beat the top study scores of last year. Their enthusiasm for my personal learning does really have a downstream effect on motivating me, if not for my own success but out of respect for them.

Other than that, my motivations to study are quite mixed and often change. While sometimes I find myself motivated by a particularly potent passion for science, other times I am primarily driven by a competitive spirit in wanting to beat my friends in the next test. Other times - particularly when I'm tired, my motivation to study banks entirely on Poet and her disappointed glare.

Definitely agree. I had good relationships with all my teachers, especially my English and chemistry teachers. I asked for constant feedback and questions and they felt very appreciated I believe. These two teachers really believed that i would do well in the exams (especially my English teacher who thought I was doing way more than I should do as he already expected highly of me). Trust me, its very uplifting if your teachers believe you will do your best and smash the exams- i used it as inspiration.
ATAR: 98

Bachelor of Biomedical Science