Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:11:52 pm

Author Topic: The Trump Card: Global Politics Essays  (Read 6184 times)  Share 

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
The Trump Card: Global Politics Essays
« on: January 16, 2020, 04:52:05 pm »
+8
Hello!

As someone who completed Global Politics in 2019 after picking it up early in Term 1 of Year 12, having never completed the subject before, I can tell you that with a lot of hard work, the Short Answer section of SACs and the Exam can quickly become a strong suit. That said, the thing that holds many people back is the dreaded essay. Even in my final Exam, I only managed a 15/20 in that final essay (which was a rush). In hindsight, I don't think it's because I didn't work hard enough, but rather because I didn't prepare as efficiently as I could have.

So in this thread, I'm going to add to this opening post with as many combinations of study design terms (including the blurb) that I could foresee coming up in an Essay. That way, I'd recommend not just writing out essays over and over, as unless you go 50+, you'll never be able to cover every possibility. However, if you make a relatively detailed plan for each, you're setting yourself up for those 18-19/20 essays which as key to going high in the 40s, or dragging up an unlucky short answer section.

Unit 3: Global Actors
Area of Study 1: Global Actors
1. Global Governance is the best way for states to pursue security and stability. Evaluate this statement.

2. Due to globalisation, issues that require multilateral resolution are having a greater impact on state sovereignty. Discuss.

3. Compared with other global actors, states no longer wield any power in global politics. Discuss.

4. To what extent do non-state actors challenge the power of the state?

5. The traditional role of the state as the central actor in global politics is being challenged. Discuss.

6. Transnational corporations are the most powerful global actors in the 21st century. Discuss

7. All global actors have the capacity to challenge state sovereignty. Evaluate the challenges posed to state sovereignty by at least three different global actors.

8. The processes of globalisation are increasingly beneficial to states. Discuss.

9. Issues requiring multilateral resolution are the biggest challenge to state sovereignty. Discuss, with reference to at least three challenges to state sovereignty.

10. Transnational Corporations pose the largest threat to the state being the central actor in global politics. Discuss.

11. Global Governance allows states to pursue stability and security. Discuss.

Area of Study 2: Power in the Asia-Pacific
1. Analyse the differing interpretations of at least three national interests of an Asia-Pacific state.

2. The relative importance and effectiveness of different types of power and foreign policy instruments used in pursuit of a state’s national interests vary considerably, and there is often a significant difference between the intentions and the results. Discuss this statement with reference to at least three different foreign policy instruments used by an Asia-Pacific state.

3. Hard/Soft Power is more effective than Soft/Hard Power in achieving a state's national interests. Discuss.

4. Evaluate the relative importance of different foreign policy instruments of one Asia-Pacific state in achieving its national interest.

5. Idealism/Pragmatism is the principal force that influences a state's foreign policy. Discuss.

6. Military/Diplomatic/Economic/Cultural Power is the most effective type of power for a state to use to achieve its national interests. Discuss this statement.

7. Evaluate the success of a specific Asia-Pacific state in achieving at least three of its national interests.

8. A state needs to use multiple foreign policy instruments to achieve its national interests. Evaluate the use of three different foreign policy instruments by one Asia-Pacific state.

9. Discuss at least two factors that shape the national interest priorities of one Asia-Pacific state.

Unit 4: Global Challenges
Area of Study 1: Ethical Issues & Debates
1. Discuss how the responses of relevant global actors have influenced two ethical issues that you studied this year.

2. Evaluate the extent to which international law governs the actions of global actors in relation to twoethical issues.

3. The concept of realism means that international law can never be effective. Discuss.

4. With reference to one ethical issue you have studied, discuss the extent to which international law has the capacity to create a system of norms capable of resolving ethical issues in the twenty-first century.

5. Evaluate the effectiveness of responses by global actors, including cosmopolitan and realist perspectives, to one ethical issue you have studied.

6. Discuss a range of ethical debates surrounding one ethical issue.

7. Realism/Cosmopolitanism is the only effective ideology/framework adopted by global actors in response to global ethical issues. Discuss the statement above with reference to at least one ethical issue.

8. International law does not provide an adequate framework for global actors to deal effectively with ethical issues. Discuss the statement above with reference to at least one ethical issue.

9. The responses of global actors to ethical issues always reflects their obligations in international law. Discuss, with reference to at least one ethical issue.

Area of Study 2: Global Crises

1. The notion of sovereignty presents an insurmountable challenge to responding effectively to conflict. Discuss with reference to one global crisis.

2. Global actors' responses only serve to exacerbate an existing global crisis. Discuss with reference to two global crises.

3. Assess the effectiveness of international cooperation in regards to a global crisis.

4. Unilateralism is the biggest challenge to achieving effective resolution of global crises. Discuss the statement with reference to one global crisis.

5. Globalisation is both a cause of and a solution to global crises. Discuss this statement with reference to at least one global crisis.

6. Unilateralism is more effective than international cooperation in resolving global crises. Discuss with reference to one global crisis.

7. A global crisis cannot be resolved unless the responses to the crisis are global themselves. Discuss the statement with reference to one global crisis.

8. Analyse how international cooperation impacts the effectiveness of responses to one global crisis you have studied.

9. Analyse two challenges to the effective resolution of at least one global crisis.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:22:31 pm by Jimmmy »
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: The Trump Card: Global Politics Essays
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 08:30:45 pm »
Thanks for creating this Jimmmy! It's fantastic to see resources for any subject but it's particularly great to see them for a less resourced subject like global studies :)

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
Re: The Trump Card: Global Politics Essays
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 03:50:09 pm »
+2
Thanks for creating this Jimmmy! It's fantastic to see resources for any subject but it's particularly great to see them for a less resourced subject like global studies :)
I totally agree with the less resourced bit! I barely found more than two exams by myself, and our teacher provided a few luckily, but the rest of my exams/plans for essays and questions came from making up questions from the study design.

All the essay questions are completed.  :) 38 in total.
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University