Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:51:01 am

Author Topic: HOW TO: Solve for general solutions for circular functions  (Read 22518 times)  Share 

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
HOW TO: Solve for general solutions for circular functions
« on: September 12, 2010, 11:55:48 pm »
+8
By request:

General solutions to circular functions.

Many people just simply apply a formula (similar to the one provided in the Essentials 3/4 text), some knows where it comes from but most just mindlessly apply the formulas without knowing where it comes from and if the question gets tricky then they will get stuck. Hopefully this tutorial help you understand how we go about finding general solutions to circular functions in a more systematic fashion.

We will consider the general solutions to each of our 3 main circular functions, , and . First we will look at the function.

Example 1.

Find the general solution to

First notice why does this question say find the GENERAL solution? This is because no domain is specified, if no domain is specified then there are infinitely many solutions to the above equation. [What this means is that if you sketch the graph of and draw the horizontal line , then there are infinitely many x values which gives a y value of ]

So here is how I would go about solving this question.

Let

Now we have the equation so let us find the 2 basic solutions to then we will use to use the 2 basic solutions to to find the 2 basic solutions for .

Solving is quite trivial. This is an "exact value" question.

Now if you do not know how I solved the above equation, you need to review your circular function fundamentals ASAP.

Substituting the 2 basic value into [1] yields:

Now the next step is finding the GENERAL solutions for x.

Look at the following graph of

The red line is the line , as you can see, since a domain is not specified, it crosses the sin graph infinitely many times.

Now why did we find TWO basic solutions and not just one? As you can see the purple lines represent the solutions obtained from and to get the other purple line solutions we simply have to add and subtract periods away from our basic solution of .

But as you can see from the graph, no matter how many periods we add or subtract we will never end up on the green lines and this is what the other basic is for!

If we add and subtract periods away from then we reach all the other green solutions.

So what is the period of the graph? Well it's , again go back and review your fundamentals if you don't know how to calculate periods.

So our general solution is:

where

Now notice some of you might go, "wait what? Didn't you say we must SUBTRACT periods as well as adding them?"

This is another common mistake students often make, look at my definition of in my answer. I said is an INTEGER which means ITSELF can take on negative values, eg, n = ...-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3...

So for example say n = 1

Then we have So here we are adding periods.

But if n = -1 then we have:

Which is equivalent to:

So here we are subtracting periods.

So that is why we don't write our solution as:

where

Because the subtracting periods is already taken into account due to the restriction on

However some of you like to have the in the middle and another way of writing the answer is this: (Note the difference!)

where

Why do we need in the middle here? This is because n is now an element of NATURAL numbers or 0, which means n = 0, 1, 2, 3 ...

So the 'subtracting' periods is NOT taken into account from our restriction on n, that is why we need to put in the middle since we need to 'manually' take into consideration ADDING and SUBTRACTING periods.

Both way of presenting the answer is fine, pick one and stick to it :)

Example 2.

NO DIFFERENCE, APPROACH THIS QUESTION THE EXACT SAME WAY AS EXAMPLE 1, TRY IT YOURSELF!

Example 3.

Now the tan function is a tiny bit different in that we only need to find ONE basic solution and not TWO. The rest of the principles of adding and subtracting periods is all the same.

Here is how I would solve this question:

Let us first sketch the graph of below:

The red line is the line and the purple lines are the solutions to the equation.

As you can see from the graph, by finding any value of the x value that corresponds to the purple line and then adding and subtracting periods from that x value we get, we will be able to find all the solutions! So we don't need to solve for TWO basic solutions, ONE will be enough! (You might ask why do we need to solve for just one basic solution, graphically I have explained it, but algebraically this is because is a one to one function while sin and cos are not. You don't really need to know this though)

So let us solve it!

Thus the general solution is:

where (Note the period of is and not )

OR another way of writing it is:

where

Well that's it folks, enjoy and post any questions if you don't understand!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:39:40 pm by VegemitePi »
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

sb3700

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Re: HOW TO: Solve for general solutions for circular functions
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 12:03:22 am »
+1
One thing to add is when solving

or , you only have one basic solution, not 2.
2007: Methods CAS: 50 | VET Multimedia: 50
2008: English: 42 | Spec: 49 | Physics: 50 | IT Software: 49 | Chemistry: 45 | UMEP Maths: 5.50

Offering MM, Spec, Chem, Phys, UMEP Maths tutoring: see http://vcenotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,10318.0.html

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 12:04:05 am »
One thing to add is when solving
or , you only have one basic solution, not 2.
Yup I was going to add that actually.

Think about why this is case too guys! (Hint: sketch the graph, sketch the lines and can you notice something?)
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

stonecold

• Victorian
  • Respect: +255
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 12:57:07 am »
This method kicks ass TT.  No formula memorization required!

The only thing which I can say is I find it quicker and easier to just solve the equation as it is, rather than break it up into two steps.

Is there any reason why you have done this?
2011-13: BBiomed (Microbiology & Immunology Major) @ UniMelb

VCE 2009'10: English 46 | English Language 49 | Chemistry 50 | Biology 50 | Further Mathematics 48 | Mathematical Methods CAS 39
ATAR: 99.85

"Failure is not when one falls down but rather when one fails to get up" - unknown

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 01:46:49 am »
No particular reason, that is the way I solve trig equations, ofcourse you can do it many other ways if you want.
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

mikee65

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 08:36:54 pm »
amazing review true tears, thanks so much. :)

vea

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +29
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 08:57:51 pm »
+1 for an approach that doesn't involve those stupid formulas

I think you should stick this TT. :)

EDIT: It's already stickied ahah
2011: ATAR 99.50
2012: Bachelor of Biomedicine, UoM
2015: Doctor of Dental Surgery, UoM

Blakhitman

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 02:15:42 pm »
This + trinon's post = Domination of trig.

stonecold

• Victorian
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 10:34:12 am »
When you are solving the trig equation, how do you know which values to keep for your equation?

Like the essentials book says your answer has to be between 0 and pi inclusive for cos, -pi/2 and pi/2 inclusive for sine, and -pi/2 and pi/2 exclusive for tan.

Basically, does it matter where the start point is for your general solution?

Say for sin(x)=0,  the solutions are 0, pi, 2pi, 3pi etc.  How do you know to use 0 and pi. rather than 2pi and 3pi. or any other solutions for your general equation?

Sorry, I am a little confused between this method and the essentials one, that's all.

VCE 2009'10: English 46 | English Language 49 | Chemistry 50 | Biology 50 | Further Mathematics 48 | Mathematical Methods CAS 39

"Failure is not when one falls down but rather when one fails to get up" - unknown

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 07:24:29 pm »
When you are solving the trig equation, how do you know which values to keep for your equation?

Like the essentials book says your answer has to be between 0 and pi inclusive for cos, -pi/2 and pi/2 inclusive for sine, and -pi/2 and pi/2 exclusive for tan.

Basically, does it matter where the start point is for your general solution?

Say for sin(x)=0,  the solutions are 0, pi, 2pi, 3pi etc.  How do you know to use 0 and pi. rather than 2pi and 3pi. or any other solutions for your general equation?

Sorry, I am a little confused between this method and the essentials one, that's all.
Nope you can start anywhere for your general solution.
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

stonecold

• Victorian
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 07:25:47 pm »
Sweet.  Thanks TT.  So even if your answer doesn't match the one in the suggested answers or examiners report, they still have to give it right because subbing in integers still yields the correct solutions?

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 07:26:04 pm »
Exactly :)
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Blakhitman

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 07:26:49 pm »
Sweet.  Thanks TT.  So even if your answer doesn't match the one in the suggested answers or examiners report, they still have to give it right because subbing in integers still yields the correct solutions?

Watch out in MC questions though.

panicatthelunchbar

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 08:57:11 pm »
My CAS gives me x=(24n-7)pie/36 and x=(24n+1)pie/36.......are these the same?