Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 02:24:15 am

Author Topic: RELATED TEXT-HELP  (Read 1267 times)

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
RELATED TEXT-HELP
« on: November 22, 2017, 05:36:15 pm »
Okay, so im trying to find a related text for "wheather a discovery is unexpected or emerges from careful planning it can still reveal suprising consequences" Can anyone help??
Elyse-can you recconmend a good one from the list?
Im also looking for a text that has this in it, but also has other types of discoveries (something well rounded) to use throughout my hsc
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: RELATED TEXT-HELP
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 12:33:03 pm »
+1
Hey Mada :)

It depends if you want to show the unexpected, or the planned, nature?

I'm a big champion for Distant Lands by Tim Winton. I used it myself, but since recommending it to other students I've realised it's diversity even more. The outcome of the discovery process is quite surprising and it is very unexpected..but there is an element of careful planning to ensure that the process of discovery can continue in a fragile environment...

I wrote about it in my essay as well, which you can find in the notes section, so you can see other types of discoveries that I discussed :)

Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 11:49:13 am »
Hey Mada :)

It depends if you want to show the unexpected, or the planned, nature?

I'm a big champion for Distant Lands by Tim Winton. I used it myself, but since recommending it to other students I've realised it's diversity even more. The outcome of the discovery process is quite surprising and it is very unexpected..but there is an element of careful planning to ensure that the process of discovery can continue in a fragile environment...

I wrote about it in my essay as well, which you can find in the notes section, so you can see other types of discoveries that I discussed :)
I personally do the like the idea of unexpected discoveries. To me, they just seem better.
It'd be great if distant lands is a good text no matter what the question. I'd love to get my hands on a copy to at least look at. But i don't want to fork over $15 and then decide i don't think its a good idea!!!
So do you reckon distant lands could work for almost anything???
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

zanibalh

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 09:12:01 pm »
hey guys,
If anyone could please suggest a related text to the Tempest.
Preferably a poem and a brief explanation on how it all relates back to the Tempest.
Thank you guys

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 09:28:49 pm »
+1
hey guys,
If anyone could please suggest a related text to the Tempest.
Preferably a poem and a brief explanation on how it all relates back to the Tempest.
Thank you guys
Hey dude! Welcome to the forums!
In the future, when asking a question, you should post the question(s) in their own thread, as then EVERYONE can see it and you can have heaps of different people contributing their answers (Just a helpful tip, as you make your way around here!)  :)
 As you have attached it to the end of a topic i made, only elyse and i will see this reply, as we are the only other two that have replied to this thread. But thats okay, because i'm here to answer your question! (Never Fear! Mada348 is here!  8) ).

Okay, so in regards to your question, a poem you could look at is 'ozymandias'.
It is about discovering the ephemeral nature of life and the inevitable destruction of all civilizations regardless of their power (sudden and unexpected discovery, confronting and intensely meaningful, emotional, intellectual-some examples from the rubric, but there is more).
'Ozymandias' was consumed by his desire for power, but in the end, he is simply a broken statue in the desert.
CONTEXT: Ozymandias was a Greek name for pharaoh Ramesses II, who ruled Egypt from 1279 BCE to 1213 BCE, in the 19th Dynasty of Ancient Egypt.
When looking at whether its actually RELATED, it doesn't have to be, sometimes its better to have a text that has completely different themes to your perscribed text, but that depends on the person. Also different people can find different ways that texts relate. Remember you can say it relates in any way shape or form AS LONG AS YOU BACK UP/EXPLAIN HOW IT DOES
In terms of how it does relate: PROSPERO was also consumed by power, however he also discovers the fleeting nature of life and changes his ways.
By combining this idea with the above statement regarding the poem, you could create a concept that would work for both texts equally well (leave out the changing ways bit, because 'ozymandias' does not include that).
If you do decide to use this, i have a whole bunch of themes and annotations/analysis i'd be willing to share with you as this is one of my two related texts!
Hope this helps!
Good luck finding a related text!  :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:19:03 am by Mada438 »