Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:34:15 am

Author Topic: laura needs to practice!!  (Read 9671 times)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
laura needs to practice!!
« on: June 25, 2019, 08:57:12 pm »
+18
Hey guys,
With the school holidays coming up, I thought it was the right time to make this thread! I have done many levels of Auslan through community classes but I find myself losing it as I practice less and less. My goal is to relearn all the signs that I should have learnt (around 1000-1200).
Luckily for me, I still have all my notes and lists from each class, as well as videos from the teacher (except for the last level). I'm hoping that along with SignBank (an online dictionary) and my paper dictionary they will come back to me.
I would also really like to practice my conversational Auslan and Auslan storytelling as well as understanding others using Auslan.
I really love the language and as I'm hoping to pick it up for VCE (and if not at Uni) so I think that it is very important I practice and will give me something worthwhile to do over the school holidays.

So, my goals are:
- to practice for at least 20 minutes a day
- to learn how to sign along to three songs and film them
- to watch this tedtalk without subtitles (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou1Me-4GzuE)
- to re-learn all of the signs from level 1 and 2 (I have completed four levels of classes thus far.)

I'm hoping to check in every now and then set some new goals after the end of the school holidays.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
Re: laura needs to practice!!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 04:59:04 pm »
+11
Hello everyone!
Today I worked through the first half of my first level of Auslan community class signs (about 120 signs). They were fairly basic and most came back to me straight away. I still have a list of ones that I got wrong or needed to look up which is 20 signs long. These are obviously the things I will spend some more time on later.

I also watched the first couple of minutes of the Auslan ted talk. I understood bits and pieces but found myself constantly trying to lipread her rather than watch her hands. That's also something to work on for the future.

...But I finished my 20 minutes! ;D

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 06:20:23 pm »
+7
THURSDAY: I did my 20 minutes. Just practicing some old signs and working on a song I had previously learnt (Waving Through a Window).

FRIDAY: I did my 20 minutes picking some new songs to learn and starting on them. So far my list is Ocean Eyes, Home and Dirty Paws.

SATURDAY: Did some signing at work and found yet another song I want to sign to: Rise Up (The Jack Vidgen version.) I’ve learnt most of it but it needs a little refining.

Plans for the holidays: I hope to film Waving Through a Window and Rise up in the first week of the holidays and possibly also Ocean Eyes. :)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 09:19:41 pm »
+2
PRACTICE LOG:
Sunday: Nothing :(

Monday: Still nothing…

Tuesday: *crickets chirping*

Wednesday: Nothing intensifies

Thursday: *yawn*

Friday: Asked about LaTrobe’s Auslan course, and then spent time in the evening signing along to my favourite songs for half an hour. I also decided I want to learn to sign along to Good Mourning by Halsey, or at least the start of it. Oh my goodness I had forgotten a lot! My practice is also at the top of tomorrow’s “To Do” list.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 05:38:57 pm »
+6
Saturday:
I spent most of today practising my signing. I worked on my expression and planned out a couple of songs I want to sign along to. I also filmed my first ever YouTube video: an Auslan cover of "Waving Through a Window" from Dear Evan Hansen.

Nervous to share the link because then I become slightly less anonymous but here goes nothing: https://youtu.be/yofqyK3ddJE

laura <3

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 12:22:15 am »
How are you going with this?
Auslan sounds pretty interesting. Is it as hard as it looks?

SlowandSteady

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 01:09:31 am »
+2
Although I don't practise the language myself, when you were performing "Waving Through a Window" you looked to be really confident in your signing! Also, I'd like to thank you for sharing the TED Talk in your opening post; it gave me an appreciated insight into the problems faced by the deaf community which I may have neglected to learn later on.

I hope you meet as many goals as you can and I'm looking forward to further updates!  :D
QCE Class of 2023 :D

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 05:36:02 pm »
+7
Today's success!!

Watching myself makes me cringe so hard... but here it is. I guess it's more a way to document my progress than anything else.  :-\

And the weekly log:
SUNDAY: Nothing

MONDAY: Nothing again… but I thought about it…

TUESDAY: 15 minutes

Wednesday: 25 minutes

Thursday: 50 minutes

-------------------------------

Although I don't practise the language myself, when you were performing "Waving Through a Window" you looked to be really confident in your signing! Also, I'd like to thank you for sharing the TED Talk in your opening post; it gave me an appreciated insight into the problems faced by the deaf community which I may have neglected to learn later on.

I hope you meet as many goals as you can and I'm looking forward to further updates!  :D

Thanks for your kind words!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 05:38:33 pm by laura_ »

SlowandSteady

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 06:07:19 pm »
+2
The dance you so masterfully performed at the beginning of the video acted as the perfect accompaniment to the song that followed ;D. Stellar effort on Thursday to make up for Sun and Mon. Keep it up :).
QCE Class of 2023 :D

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 06:21:00 pm »
+3
The dance you so masterfully performed at the beginning of the video acted as the perfect accompaniment to the song that followed ;D. Stellar effort on Thursday to make up for Sun and Mon. Keep it up :).

"so masterfuly" - very tactfully put  ;D

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 08:11:48 pm »
+1
All that effort is paying off, seeing the way you express yourself in that video. Great job!!! Also love that dance at the beginning 10/10 would watch again, you better have it at the beginning of each video you post ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 08:13:50 pm by r1ckworthy »
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

brothanathan

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 08:36:39 pm »
+1
Lookin sharp :D

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 08:45:55 pm »
+2
All that effort is paying off, seeing the way you express yourself in that video. Great job!!! Also love that dance at the beginning 10/10 would watch again, you better have it at the beginning of each video you post ;D ;D ;D
Perhaps. I think that including it once was all the embarrassment I needed.

Lookin sharp :D

:D

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 11:39:55 am »
The Check-In:
My goals were...
- to practice for at least 20 minutes a day
- to learn how to sign along to three songs and film them
- to watch this tedtalk without subtitles (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou1Me-4GzuE)
- to re-learn all of the signs from level 1 and 2 (I have completed four levels of classes thus far.)

I think that on the whole I achieved the second goal (as I still have a song filmed and left to post), and made progress on the first and fourth. I think that during Term 3, my goals will be:
 to practice for at least 20 minutes a day
- to re-learn all of the signs from level 1 and 2
- to film and upload a song cover a fortnight

Daily Practice:
Friday: 45 minutes

Saturday: 10 minutes

Sunday: 0 minutes

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 01:46:09 pm »
Today's success!!

Watching myself makes me cringe so hard... but here it is. I guess it's more a way to document my progress than anything else.  :-\

And the weekly log:
SUNDAY: Nothing

MONDAY: Nothing again… but I thought about it…

TUESDAY: 15 minutes

Wednesday: 25 minutes

Thursday: 50 minutes

-------------------------------

Thanks for your kind words!

This is really impressive!

Not sure if this is a silly question, but what's the most difficult part about learning this?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.