Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:58:11 am

Author Topic: I want to do more acts of kindness  (Read 24815 times)

lyoko

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +51
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: I want to do more acts of kindness
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2018, 07:43:19 pm »
+4
I started thanking the bus driver when I'm at my destination a few weeks ago, and have continued doing so.

OMG! Me too! It's always a good start to the morning when they thank-you as well :D

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2018, 09:36:12 pm »
+12
Here's a story for you this Halloween that's not really spooky. 

Story Time with Angel Wings
So I was going to go shopping today at a mall. I decided to catch PT today, so I was waiting at a bus stop. Minutes before the bus was due to come, this middle aged lady who's hurriedly limping towards me sees me and shouts: "Is this where the stop for the [insert number] bus to [insert place] is?" She pants a little, as I tell her, "No, it's down the street about a kilometre or so away."

She mentions exactly what I'm thinking, "Ah, I can't walk that far. Unless you think I can get there by this time?" She shows me a time written on a notepad. The time is in about 10 minutes. It takes me 10 minutes to walk down, but with her limp, it'll take her a lot longer. I tell her, "No, but I think you could probably take this bus across the street. Let me check." A little selfishly here, I didn't want to move as I knew my bus was meant to come in 30 seconds by this point.

As soon as I pull out my phone to check, that bus passes us. The lady tells me she has to be at a certain place in less than 1.5 hours. The next bus on the same route as the bus that just passed us is in approximately 40 minutes and it doesn't arrive anywhere near where she wants to go. I decide to check the next best route, as my bus arrives. Unfortunately, with her leg, it'll still get her about 5-10 minutes late for her important event. I apologise for this, saying it's the best route and I'd rather not lead her astray. She understands.

We both get on and I tell her the instructions to her destination from the mall (my destination). She writes down the instructions in her notepad and I repeat them several times to ensure she has the instructions down right.

An elderly passenger gets on the bus and sits opposite us. The lady I'm helping starts a bit of a conversation with me - just small talk, as we approach my destination. I tell the middle-aged lady I'll help her get to the right stop, as there's numerous bus stops where we were going and it's pretty confusing to newcomers. Everyone got off the bus and the elderly lady grabs my wrist. For a second, I stand there in shock. I don't know what this elderly lady's trying to do, but she starting rubbing my wrist almost as if trying to comfort me and says thanks on behalf of the middle-aged lady for my act of kindness. I breathe a sigh of relief and try to awkwardly stay humble, as anyone does after receiving a compliment. The elderly lady lets go of my wrist and goes on her merry way.

I immediately send that middle-aged lady to the right stop; the bus she needs to take is in a couple of minutes. I tell the bus driver to take the lady to the stop described in the instructions I gave her and for the bus driver to tell her to get off there. The lady thanks me thoroughly and I leave to go about my shopping. I really hope the middle-aged lady got to her important event only 5 minutes late.

So I got to help someone in need and got to share the story with you all again. (The last one happened late last year when I helped a guy who clearly wasn't dealing with the summer heat well and begged for a can of soft drink.)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2019, 02:39:29 pm »
+16
Bumping bc relevant:
There's this kid who made a rant on Monash Stalkerspace last week about being lonely at the Parkville campus. Myself and a few others reached out and invited him to a few events that were on the hap and we all went to make sure he was going to be okay in the days that followed.

Fast forward to today, I saw him studying on his own in the packed caf, so I shouted him a coffee, in true Parkville spirit. He appreciated it and was really nice to do something nice for someone who was in need of a hello. ^-^
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

tocoolforschool

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2019, 04:23:04 pm »
+1
Bumping bc relevant:
There's this kid who made a rant on Monash Stalkerspace last week about being lonely at the Parkville campus. Myself and a few others reached out and invited him to a few events that were on the hap and we all went to make sure he was going to be okay in the days that followed.

Fast forward to today, I saw him studying on his own in the packed caf, so I shouted him a coffee, in true Parkville spirit. He appreciated it and was really nice to do something nice for someone who was in need of a hello. ^-^

Wow! That's an awesome story! You have brightened my day!  ;D

I may not be the strongest. I may not be the smartest. But I'm damn well going to try my hardest.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2019, 07:24:23 pm »
Hey Lou! How's this been going? ;D

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2019, 08:16:18 pm »
+6
Hey Lou! How's this been going? ;D
Oh goodness, good question aha!

The last thing I remember doing was giving out cute little handmade thankyou cards for everyone in the QC lab on the last day of placement; I think I made my supervisor happy-cry aha!

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2019, 08:51:31 am »
+10
Went and bought my supervisor a small bag of Lindt this morning- knowing that she's been hella stressed all week.

Already made her morning :D

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2019, 11:03:01 am »
Already made her morning :D

That's awesome insanipi! 👍
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2020, 05:59:33 pm »
+14
Okay so this just happened in the past 30 mins and is super sweet!

I went to kill some time before going to bookclub by catching the city circle tram. We got to about Flagstaff station when an older couple (tourists) came on and started to look a little lost just before Melbourne Central- turns out that they were looking for Lygon St.

I told them that they have to switch trams at MC (to a route 1 from Swanston St) and get off at Lygon St- stop 112.

We all got off and I did a quick time check- I had enough time to kill to get to Lygon St (and Lygon St Readings) and offered to get them there. They really appreciated it, and it made me smile to know that!

So I said goodbye and then went to Readings, and they saw me again and gave me $20 (which I tried declining but they insisted anyways).

Brb crying in State from people being so nice to each other 😊

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2020, 04:28:45 pm »
+11
A cheeky bump but a few things I've done recently:
- Took some time out last weekend and made a buttload of scrunchies to send to friends
- Wished the busy post-doc stressed with Covid19 vaccine work to have a good weekend

<3

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2020, 07:29:38 pm »
+10
Crafted some special winter items on Animal Crossing to give to players in the Northern Hemisphere - it's good to know you can make a stranger's day, even in isolation and from across the world. ^-^
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2020, 03:15:16 pm »
+11
Earlier in the week I went through a couple of people from the bookstagram community's Amazon wish-lists and sent them a book for them each and they all finally arrived!🥰

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2020, 11:34:24 pm »
+8
Earlier in the week I went through a couple of people from the bookstagram community's Amazon wish-lists and sent them a book for them each and they all finally arrived!🥰
I did this again with my closest booksta friends, 3 of which were under SA restrictions at the time.

I kinda made one cry happy tears :')
----------
I also nabbed some bubble tea for an undergrad friend on Friday, which obviously made their day because bubble tea 😊

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2021, 11:08:58 pm »
+7
Going to surprise my local cafe staff with some fabric goodies! 🥺

Had to ask the staff member I really enjoy chatting to for numbers, but noone else there knows and I'm excited to surprise them! 🥰