Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:56:13 pm

Author Topic: HSC Advanced English January Lecture Thread  (Read 2184 times)

BellaLN

• Adventurer
  • politics buff and doc martens enthusiast
  • Respect: +7
HSC Advanced English January Lecture Thread
« on: January 14, 2021, 08:05:48 pm »
+8
Hey, everyone!

This thread has been created for those attending my Advanced English lecture on Wednesday the 20th.

Feel free to post any lingering questions you might have (about the HSC, English, whatever your heart desires!), or write a practice response to the given questions here for feedback by Saturday the 23rd January 11:59 pm.

The sample questions that were on the slides are below; please choose one and write a maximum of approximately 400 words. For the essay questions, this could include an introduction and body paragraph, or multiple body paragraphs!

Enjoy your holidays, good luck for the term ahead, and I hope you enjoy the lecture!  ;D

Question 1:

How effectively does your prescribed text tell stories to reveal both the personal and shared nature of human experiences?

OR

Question 2:

“Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else’s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.” – Oscar Wilde

To what extent does this quote reflect your understanding of Module A: Textual Conversations? In your response, make close reference to your two prescribed texts.

OR

Question 3:

“It may take many voices for people to hear the same message.” – Rasheed Ogunlaru

Use this quote as a stimulus for an imaginative, discursive or persuasive that offers insight into a significant concern or idea that you have engaged with in your prescribed texts from the Common Module: Texts and Human Experiences OR Module A.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 09:31:34 am by BellaLN »
HSC 2019:
- English Advanced (96) - English Extension I (48) - Ancient History (97) - Modern History (95) - History Extension (47) - Mathematics (88) - SOR I (49)

ATAR: 99.45

University 2020-2025:
- Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Politics, Philosophy and Economics @ UNSW - UNSW Law Equity Scholarship Recipient -

Leyentr

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: HSC Advanced English January Lecture Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 03:09:44 pm »
Thesis: Texts reveal the personal and shared nature of timeless human experiences through storytelling in order to establish a contextual connection between similar historical lapses.

Storytelling depicts events of hardship, where an individual's psychomachic experiences can hinder their ability to redeem themselves from their mishaps. The morally-guided character of John Proctor becomes increasingly challenged by the conforming collective of lies, when he is placed under pressure to settle between a paradoxical decision of lies which results in his freedom or telling the truth which results in his death. Miller successfully translates the aforementioned through stage directions and dialogue, [with a cry of his soul] ‘I have given you my soul,leave me my name!’, where they reveal how Proctor likens his soul to being a part of his character, where sacrificing his soul, hence his morals, is like sacrificing his character. The audience are effectively probed to consider Proctor’s morality where he considers the effect of his decision on his family, which drives his psychomachia. Miller effectively utilises storytelling as a medium for responders to gain insight into the mindset of a challenged individual hostaged by the collective, where they display psychomachic attitudes of following their own moral compass or feeding into the magnetism of the shared experiences of lying. This reflects back to Miller’s context, where individuals drive into the conforming lies of the collective in order to protect themselves and prevent an outlier appearance that authorities will identify. Proctor’s psychomachia is settled as he realises that the value of his individual morality overrides the collective through the insightful use of stage directions, [tearing up the warrant] , where the stage directions reveal how Proctor resonates with morality, and challenges the collective . This invites responders to consider how morally-guided individuals gear towards their personal values of righteousness over lies to which the collective value. Storytelling reaffirms this by providing insight into how human behaviour is driven by their morality, where Proctor’s moral character leads him to resist conforming to the collective. Miller effectively relates this to his personal context where he was challenged by the immoral collective, yet he valued his personal beliefs of honesty and righteousness and refused to be a part of the shared society that supports false accusations. This further allows the audience to perceive how storytelling allows responders to examine the timeless nature of personal and collective human experiences that define an individual’s character. Ultimately, during difficult experiences, storytelling can successfully captivate how an individual’s psychomachia can settle when they value their individual incentives of morality over the shared experiences of fallacy.

valerie.yung

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 05:07:10 pm »
Thanks so much for offering to mark this! Pls read my comments below hehe :)

icavendish

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 09:58:25 am »
Thank you so much for being willing to mark my response!

b.k1234

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 11:34:05 am »
How effectively does your prescribed text tell stories to reveal both the personal and shared nature of human experiences?

Note: This response is based on one of the Kenneth Slessor poems we studied in class, "Out of Time"

Through storytelling, authors can share aspects of the human condition that are both personal to the protagonist and shared within a collective community. These revelations about common aspects can provide insight to how humans react to and grow from such circumstances. Kenneth Slessor’s poem “Out of Time'' utilises abstract metaphors and both natural and concrete imagery to capture how each person differently experiences time. Through the regulatory sonnet structure Slessor reflects on the duality of time as both ruthless and comforting. We can either yearn for time to stop amidst the beauty of certain moments, or, as we grow, we can understand that time continuing is inevitable, which can be comforting. We are never stuck in the moments of negativity yet always given chances to grow.

“So time, the wave, enfolds me in its bed, / Or Time, the bony knife, it runs me through.” This presents the dichotomous nature of time, as both comforting, enfolding in a warm bed, and punishing to an individual. The use of “Or” interrupts the protagonist's  chain of thought and introduces a sense of existentialism surrounding humans' lack of knowledge on the forceful nature of time, as supported by the poem's abstract ideas assisted by personifying time as controlling our fate . This perspective is subjective with dependence on our own human experiences, therefore it is near impossible to decide on a final, collective view on time. Through Out of Time, there is character development of the speaker, through the time sequence and growth representing duality and universality of time, from a child-like misunderstanding in the first sonnet “Time, you must cry farewell, take up the track,/ And leave this lovely moment at your back” This conclusive couplet summarises that time is cruel as it allows for the loss of beautiful moments, and instead, humans are left with the faint memory of what once was, which is supported by the imagery of death in the second sonnet “Birth to be flesh, or funeral, to be ghost.” This highlights the  dichotomy between death and birth. When we are born, we are given an earthly body, but as time passes we die, that earthly flesh leaves, and we are soon forgotten, reminding audiences of the indefinite and agonsing nature of mortality. This sense of childlike naivety and fright for time is encapsulated in the diction choice of “Skulker” as referencing an animal in hiding. This ptly symbolises how the speaker is hiding from and deflecting the inevitability of time. They refuse to see it as a continued force and due to that, they hide themselves for the grand possibilities of life; “His fate pursues him; he must open doors”. There is transition within the second sonnet, as a sense of understanding is formulated surrounding the inescapable aspect of time. When sonnet three is introduced, there is an atmosphere of peace and content, through the use of natural imagery that lacks plosive rhythm and tonality. There is great juxtaposition between the jarring, concrete nature of “viley, continuously, stupidly/ Time takes me, drills me, drives through bone and vein” the anatomical imagery displays how time is collective among audiences and a feature of being human. This contrasts “shadows flow,/Fixed in sweet meniscus, out of Time .../Lensed in a bubble’s ghostly camera” The imagery utilised has a tonal shift from negative and relentless, to the soft rhythm and positive connotations that stray from anatomical imagery, but instead utilises more abstract ideas that represents that speakers sense of freedom. There is focus on “birds” and the flow of water, as this speaker is finally free from the shackles of time. They have accepted their fate, and instead find themselves content with their own memories, as only the continuation of time can lead to growth of happiness.

== Thank you so much!

BellaLN

• Adventurer
  • politics buff and doc martens enthusiast
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 06:22:48 pm »
+5
Hi everyone, I hope the past week has featured some relaxation as the transition back to school began :D

For the few of you who contributed to this forum post - great job for giving the questions a go! I'm officially back in Sydney now, so expect some comments to be posted within the next few days.

Please feel free to follow up on any of the feedback too - get as much out of this exercise as you can.

Good luck again for the commencing term!
HSC 2019:
- English Advanced (96) - English Extension I (48) - Ancient History (97) - Modern History (95) - History Extension (47) - Mathematics (88) - SOR I (49)

ATAR: 99.45

University 2020-2025:
- Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Politics, Philosophy and Economics @ UNSW - UNSW Law Equity Scholarship Recipient -

valerie.yung

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 01:45:55 pm »
Hi Bella :)

Thanks so much for your message. I'm new to this forum so may I please ask where your feedback will be submitted/uploaded to?