Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:14:29 pm

Author Topic: Exam 1 tips/advice  (Read 1297 times)  Share 

Asphodel

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Exam 1 tips/advice
« on: October 07, 2019, 10:12:14 pm »
I’d like to preface this with the fact that I struggled the whole way through year 11 methods (barely scraped passes). However, I’ve been practicing hard throughout year 12 and have seen *significant* improvement.

I’d love to improve this and work up to a higher score, but it feels like I’ve hit a plateau with my exam prep in methods. I don’t have the same problem in exam 2, which I find significantly easier and thus score much higher in.

Does anyone have some general tips or help that I could apply to improve my exam 1 results?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 09:05:09 am by Asphodel »
2018: Business Management
2019:  Accounting | Legal Studies | Further | Methods | English Language

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
Re: Exam 1 tips/advice
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 10:41:14 pm »
+4
Is there any specific areas that you're struggling with for exam 1? What aspect makes you think it's harder than exam 2? Maybe identifying these areas could help you better your performance.

My methods teacher taught me this trick last term which I found to be unbelievably helpful - try making your own questions instead of grinding exam after exam. If you feel that you've hit a roadblock and you aren't seeing any improvement despite the effort you're putting in, you might need to try a different method of revision. :)

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

letsgetthis

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 11:53:04 pm »
Is there any specific areas that you're struggling with for exam 1? What aspect makes you think it's harder than exam 2? Maybe identifying these areas could help you better your performance.

My methods teacher taught me this trick last term which I found to be unbelievably helpful - try making your own questions instead of grinding exam after exam. If you feel that you've hit a roadblock and you aren't seeing any improvement despite the effort you're putting in, you might need to try a different method of revision. :)
How do you go about that? Writing your own questions, where do u start

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 11:37:16 am »
+3
How do you go about that? Writing your own questions, where do u start

You can start by looking at questions from practice exams or textbooks, and use the same scenarios given but just change the numbers around. Or you can try using the same numbers but then ask to find something else. Or go backwards - maybe in the question they give you an equation and ask you questions regarding that equation, and you can form your question by giving those info in your question and asking to find the equation instead. (Hope the way I explained it makes sense!)

Just play around with questions you already have and you’ll be able to form questions of your own! :)

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU