Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 04:41:23 pm

Author Topic: Make Your First Post!  (Read 288883 times)

technodisney

• MOTM: AUG 2018
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +456
Re: Make Your First Post!
« Reply #720 on: March 27, 2019, 02:32:47 pm »
1. Yeah will go see it, i've loved all the other ones...except infinty war but might make myself sit through it before i see endgame
2. omg that so cool!! how are you finding your course?? I've been considering Collarts or RMIT!! Ill definitely be checking out ur uni journal ive personally not written much about where i wanna go after school but i wrote some stuff (maybe 2 days ago) in the 'get to know you thread' career aspirations and wrote about my experiences in the industry so far (mainly volunteer gigs)

Besides the OHS elements I have been liking it a lot.
The aspect I have enjoyed the most has been the lighting, not so much the creative side but more how all of the patching works and configuring the fixtures. The vision elements I have also really been liking. The sound classes I have not been enjoying but I feel like it’s more the teacher then anything.

I am doing the Cert IV at RMIT.

I have not really had any experience mainly because it was only last year that I came across this ambition. But I am hunting for local opportunities to volunteer like you have.
My Informatics 3/4 SAT Guide

Methods, BusMan, EngLang, Informatics, VET IT
technodisney's VCE Journal
Cert IV Live Production and Technical Services RMIT (City Campus)
technodisney's journey into Live Theatre
The Disney Nerd needs to get fit

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. ~ Walt Disney

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #721 on: March 27, 2019, 02:59:36 pm »
Besides the OHS elements I have been liking it a lot.
The aspect I have enjoyed the most has been the lighting, not so much the creative side but more how all of the patching works and configuring the fixtures. The vision elements I have also really been liking. The sound classes I have not been enjoying but I feel like it’s more the teacher then anything.

I am doing the Cert IV at RMIT.

I have not really had any experience mainly because it was only last year that I came across this ambition. But I am hunting for local opportunities to volunteer like you have.

I'm the same as you I've found the lighting side of everything so interesting like how everything works and its so satisfying when you mess something up and the fix it

Like that time when I was running board for a theatre show and a half hour before doors opened the stage just went dark and the only lights working were the movers and LED's and so all our conventionals were not working and after 20 min of frantic panicking and diagnosing all of a sudden I did something and the lights came back up on stage and it was like relief and its so satisfying...or when you're working a festival and you're doing lighting or sound and its just a great feeling to be able to deliver a great night to thousands of people.

Where do you live?? Like general area? Might be able to give you some pointers if you're looking for some experience working gigs :))
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 03:02:48 pm by JadeRhoden »
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

technodisney

• MOTM: AUG 2018
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #722 on: March 27, 2019, 04:20:49 pm »
I'm the same as you I've found the lighting side of everything so interesting like how everything works and its so satisfying when you mess something up and the fix it

Like that time when I was running board for a theatre show and a half hour before doors opened the stage just went dark and the only lights working were the movers and LED's and so all our conventionals were not working and after 20 min of frantic panicking and diagnosing all of a sudden I did something and the lights came back up on stage and it was like relief and its so satisfying...or when you're working a festival and you're doing lighting or sound and its just a great feeling to be able to deliver a great night to thousands of people.

Where do you live?? Like general area? Might be able to give you some pointers if you're looking for some experience working gigs :))

Definitely, that sounds exhilarating. I ran the vision for my school presentation nights (they hired professional sound and light guys who set up the vision system) and the audio was not running from my laptop right when the night started, (even though we tested it 5 times earlier in the day), all these professional guys were stressing and I was just calmly looking for a solution and I had one in what felt like forever but was probably more like a minute. When I figured out how to fix it it was such a great feeling.

I live in the far north/north eastern area, towards the end of the train metro train lines.
My Informatics 3/4 SAT Guide

Methods, BusMan, EngLang, Informatics, VET IT
technodisney's VCE Journal
Cert IV Live Production and Technical Services RMIT (City Campus)
technodisney's journey into Live Theatre
The Disney Nerd needs to get fit

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. ~ Walt Disney

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #723 on: March 27, 2019, 05:43:37 pm »
Definitely, that sounds exhilarating. I ran the vision for my school presentation nights (they hired professional sound and light guys who set up the vision system) and the audio was not running from my laptop right when the night started, (even though we tested it 5 times earlier in the day), all these professional guys were stressing and I was just calmly looking for a solution and I had one in what felt like forever but was probably more like a minute. When I figured out how to fix it it was such a great feeling.

I live in the far north/north eastern area, towards the end of the train metro train lines.

Wow that's so cool!! Good on you!

hmm, well i know of a few places that might be looking for people to employ or to take on for experience if you're looking to try things professionally - whether or not I'm any help in providing you names of businesses idek but I hope I could help in expanding your experience

1. Local Amateur Theatre Groups; most of these have volunteer techs
2. Blaso Pyrotechnics; Located in Preston http://www.blasopyrotechnics.com.au/
3. Diverse Audio Visual Events (DAVE); Located in Pakenham https://diverseav.com.au/
4. Encore Event Technologies (Previously Staging Connections): Located in Melbourne, very professional dont know if they take on people without experience https://www.encore-anzpac.com/
5. A1 Audio and Lighting; Mainly do audio, they do lots of things like Groovin' The Moo and A-Leauge Grand final https://www.a1audio.com.au/
6. 7ft Small Designs; not an opportunity but my friend Mungo he is definitely inspirational and his designs are amazing he started doing Lighting when he was 12 and has been a bit of a mentor for me and point being...it goes to show hard work pays off and now he is a known name in the industry https://7ftsmalldesigns.com/designs

All my other possible opportunities are in Gippsland and they're probably not applicable to you :D
I personally haven't worked with most of these companies but I have friends who have so thought you might like to check it out see if maybe you can find some opportunities for experience :)
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

noisem

• Fresh Poster
  • I stopped to think once and forgot to start again.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #724 on: March 30, 2019, 07:10:08 pm »
+10
1. What year level are you in right now, and what are your subjects? (Mandatory)
I'm in my third year of teaching high school English. I worked as a lawyer previously but legal practice wasn't for me. I have my first group of ATAR English classes this year so I am scoping this forum out as a potential treasure trove of handy resources and helpful discussion. Also, a completely valid form of procrastination from my marking load.

2. What movie do you most passionately hate? Provide justification. (Mandatory)
Honestly, I've never passionately hated a film. Definitely watched my fair share of disappointing ones... But then even those are entertaining in a weird way and that's the whole point of movies, right?

3. In the event of a zombie apocalypse, what would be your weapon of choice? (Mandatory).
Fireman axe. That's easy.

Skipping the optional questions because my students' unmarked papers are staring at me and making me feel bad.
Qualifications: Bachelor of Laws; Bachelor of Arts (Communication Studies); Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice; Master of Teaching (Secondary)

I currently work as a high school English teacher.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #725 on: March 31, 2019, 12:00:44 am »
+7
1. What year level are you in right now, and what are your subjects? (Mandatory)
I'm in my third year of teaching high school English. I worked as a lawyer previously but legal practice wasn't for me. I have my first group of ATAR English classes this year so I am scoping this forum out as a potential treasure trove of handy resources and helpful discussion. Also, a completely valid form of procrastination from my marking load.

Honestly, I've never passionately hated a film. Definitely watched my fair share of disappointing ones... But then even those are entertaining in a weird way and that's the whole point of movies, right?

3. In the event of a zombie apocalypse, what would be your weapon of choice? (Mandatory).
Fireman axe. That's easy.

Skipping the optional questions because my students' unmarked papers are staring at me and making me feel bad.

Welcome! Really cool to have another teacher in the community - We've got a few former/current mods who are either in the middle of or finished teaching programs, maybe we should set up a teachers section? Haha - Enjoy the procrastination, let us know if we can help out as you get acquainted with things ;D

noisem

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #726 on: March 31, 2019, 02:41:18 pm »
+4
Welcome! Really cool to have another teacher in the community - We've got a few former/current mods who are either in the middle of or finished teaching programs, maybe we should set up a teachers section? Haha - Enjoy the procrastination, let us know if we can help out as you get acquainted with things ;D

Thank you! It looks like a really cool community. I'd have loved something like this when I was in 11 and 12.
Qualifications: Bachelor of Laws; Bachelor of Arts (Communication Studies); Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice; Master of Teaching (Secondary)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #727 on: April 02, 2019, 04:11:31 pm »
+4
Thank you! It looks like a really cool community. I'd have loved something like this when I was in 11 and 12.

Really great to have you here. :) Let us know if you need anything or have any questions!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sophie41663

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #728 on: April 04, 2019, 01:12:35 am »
+2
Year 11
Atar Economics
Atar English
Atar Religion and Life
Atar Math Applications
Atar Biology
Honestly, I have disliked films before sure but I wouldn't be able to pick one out and say that I ever passionately hated it because that would be untrue.
Gun

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #729 on: April 04, 2019, 01:39:42 am »
+1
Year 11
Atar Economics
Atar English
Atar Religion and Life
Atar Math Applications
Atar Biology
Honestly, I have disliked films before sure but I wouldn't be able to pick one out and say that I ever passionately hated it because that would be untrue.
Gun

Welcome to the forums!! Cool to have a Western Australian user amongst us, we need more of you guys around #westisbest ;)

Cool mix of subject choices!! Hopefully the resources on the site can be useful to you - Let us know if you need a hand while you get settled ;D

noisem

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #730 on: April 04, 2019, 02:13:30 am »
Year 11
Atar Economics
Atar English
Atar Religion and Life
Atar Math Applications
Atar Biology
Gun

Gun?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #731 on: April 05, 2019, 05:14:19 pm »
+13
Hey guys! This community looks amazing - This is my first post so hopefully I'm doing this right!

1. Fifth year university, studying advanced Signal Processing subjects primarily :)
2. Hugo. Worst thing I've ever seen.
3. Accessible education.

;)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #732 on: April 05, 2019, 05:19:27 pm »
+8
Hey guys! This community looks amazing - This is my first post so hopefully I'm doing this right!

1. Fifth year university, studying advanced Signal Processing subjects primarily :)
3. Accessible education.

;)

WHAT HAPPENED why does it say you have 1 post

Edit: why are you such a troll
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 05:43:46 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #733 on: April 05, 2019, 05:24:50 pm »
+8

3. Accessible education.

;)
JAMON NO
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #734 on: April 05, 2019, 05:27:19 pm »
+6
To be fair though, that is a frankly insane post:respect ratio.

BUT I'M CONFUSED WHAT JUST HAPPENED

Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions