Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:37:38 am

Author Topic: Music Question Thread  (Read 83728 times)  Share 

holky

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
Re: Music Question Thread
« Reply #210 on: October 18, 2018, 08:02:41 pm »
Hey! :)
I guess just make sure that you write everything in chronological order. In that way, I'd only write "Chorus:" at the beginning of a line, then Dot-Point/Sentence the rest for that section. You can always use gaps as-well, so that incase you hear something later that you hadn't written earlier, you can just add another line. My teacher always advises us to write down ANYTHING that you hear/can identify, especially when you are stuck. The examiners can only mark what you write down, so even if you are stuck and you think what you are hearing is wrong, just be broad and write it down.
This is my approach at least, for the Music 1 exam.
That being said, I should probably get back to study! haha
Here is a guide to complement the awesome answer from pbcampion! ;D

Thanks guys! This is v helpful

English Advanced  English Extension 1 Modern History CAFS Music 1 Drama

Mathematics 84

Yoanarizkalla

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #211 on: February 06, 2019, 09:03:06 pm »
Hiii
Well I just started year 12 and I've been struggling with the whole analysing a song part of music, and honestly I am so worried as to how to do well in it, because I really do love music, and I am good in the performance aspect, but I just can't with aural. Could you please give me some advice on how to improve in aural

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #212 on: February 06, 2019, 10:02:49 pm »
+4
Hiii
Well I just started year 12 and I've been struggling with the whole analysing a song part of music, and honestly I am so worried as to how to do well in it, because I really do love music, and I am good in the performance aspect, but I just can't with aural. Could you please give me some advice on how to improve in aural

Hey there! Aural analysis is definitely super challenging, that's why I wrote this guide on improving in that area of Music 1! It really does come down to a strong theoretical base though - How is your musical theory (concepts of music) knowledge? :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #213 on: March 24, 2019, 03:12:53 pm »
+3
Hello,
I have 2 music performances on Wednesday and I'm really nervous about it. My teachers tell me to perform in front of people as much as possible to help conquer my nerves but I get really panicky and stuff up the whole piece. I'm really scared because I would have to play 6 pieces in my HSC and if I stuff up in the first piece then I would not have the heart to play the other pieces well. Performing in front of people is one of my biggest fears but I need to get over it before trials and HSC to do well. Any tips or information in conquering nerves other than performing more? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Hey! Katie wrote this guide you might find really handy! She speaks a bit about the ordering of pieces just as you were thinking about, so it would be a good read ;D it is about performing more, but also about working with your nerves. For me, for example, sitting still and just breathing slowly did nothing. When I get nerves, I have boundless energy, so instead I start pacing and moving around lots before performances to try and leak the energy away - Everyone will be just that little bit different :)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #214 on: March 24, 2019, 06:16:57 pm »
+11
Hello,
I have 2 music performances on Wednesday and I'm really nervous about it. My teachers tell me to perform in front of people as much as possible to help conquer my nerves but I get really panicky and stuff up the whole piece. I'm really scared because I would have to play 6 pieces in my HSC and if I stuff up in the first piece then I would not have the heart to play the other pieces well. Performing in front of people is one of my biggest fears but I need to get over it before trials and HSC to do well. Any tips or information in conquering nerves other than performing more? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Hey,
I wrote this earlier but then I had to go out so I’ll just add this onto Jamon’s answer :).

We’ve been going through music performance anxiety in class recently. These are some of the strategies that we were talking about or I have used:
  • - Just before you first play focus on the first couple of bars and how they sound (e.g sing them in your head). You could also concentrate on one aspect of your performance (such as your sound/rhythm/posture).

• - Breathing exercises: We’ve been going through a few different breathing exercises before you perform: One that we did was that we: Breathed in through your nose for 7 counts, out through your mouth for 7 counts, for 7 minutes. (I got distracted halfway through so you could make it shorter). We also looked at square breathing: breathe in for 4 counts, hold for 4 counts, breathe out for 4 counts and then hold for 4. Then we did that for 2 minutes. I preferred this one to the other one.

• - Try not to analyse your performance as it’s happening. When your practising at home, you can stop and start if you’re not happy but when your performing try to focus more on what is happening next in the piece. 

• - If you need to take some time in between pieces. You can always drink some water, or take some time to swap over your music.

• - Some people in my class try to distract themselves before performance: by listening to music (definitely not the piece you will be playing), or doing some warmups beforehand.

• - Be aware of what happens when you get really anxious. I used to go really fast and rush through my pieces so when I was performing so now I try to focus a bit more on my tempo.

• - Be over prepared-know your pieces well, get to the place of the exam early, etc.

• - For HSC, you can choose the order of your pieces so I choose the ones that I was most comfortable/confident with first. So when I got to my last piece (which was my least confident) I was more comfortable performing in the room, with the examiners than at the start of the exam.

• - Practise performing, but start small. You could start by videoing yourself, and listening to that back because it’s kinda a half-way step to performing in front of people. Then try to perform to people you are really close to (such as friends/family).

• - Practise and perform in the place that you are doing your exams so you can get used to it. I did my HSC exam in my school hall, so we did our half-yearly, trials, sound checks and HSC in the same space.

Hope these help!! Good luck for your performance!!  ;D

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 06:23:30 pm by katie,rinos »
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Jefferson

• Forum Regular
« Reply #215 on: March 30, 2019, 10:10:12 pm »
Hi all,
In texture, is a single melody sung by a vocal along with drums providing rhythmic accompaniment still considered monophonic, since the drums does not provide chordal/harmonic accompaniment?
Thank you!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #216 on: March 30, 2019, 11:41:45 pm »
+5
Hi all,
In texture, is a single melody sung by a vocal along with drums providing rhythmic accompaniment still considered monophonic, since the drums does not provide chordal/harmonic accompaniment?
Thank you!

Hey, Jefferson!

That's a really interesting question  :o We could spark some debate about this. I would perhaps still consider it homophonic because monophony refers to a single, melodic part without accompaniment. There are, in this instance, two layers so it ticks more of the criteria for homophony than monophony  :)

Analysing texture does not always have to be with a single term like "monophony" or "homophony" though; you could describe how those parts interact and how the layers are constructed in relation to one another. Diagrams are really helpful in conveying these ideas too and helping your marker visualise what you have observed. If anything, I think this is more effective in explaining how texture operates in the piece than using one word or another  :D

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 11:15:36 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Jefferson

• Forum Regular
« Reply #217 on: April 03, 2019, 09:26:49 pm »
+1
Hey, Jefferson!

That's a really interesting question  :o We could spark some debate about this. I would perhaps still consider it homophonic because monophony refers to a single, melodic part without accompaniment. There are, in this instance, two layers so it ticks more of the criteria for homophony and monophony  :)

Analysing texture does not always have to be with a single term like "monophony" or "homophony" though; you could describe how those parts interact and how the layers are constructed in relation to one another. Diagrams are really helpful in conveying these ideas too and helping your marker visualise what you have observed. If anything, I think this is more effective in explaining how texture operates in the piece than using one word or another  :D

Angelina  ;D

Hi Angelina,
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation! That makes a lot of sense.

Jefferson :).

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
« Reply #218 on: July 12, 2019, 05:21:48 pm »
Guys quick question. When anysing Pachelbel’s canon in D, I started writing down the sections and ended up with a a b a.  But since it’s a ‘canon’ isn’t it technically one whole section ?
-KgkG-

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #219 on: August 27, 2019, 08:45:16 pm »
guys in the first one minute of moonlight sonata, would you say there is a binary form of a a' and b? or a throughout?
-KgkG-

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #220 on: August 27, 2019, 10:03:25 pm »
+1
guys in the first one minute of moonlight sonata, would you say there is a binary form of a a' and b? or a throughout?
I think I'd call it binary- a,b.

Hope this helps! :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #221 on: August 29, 2019, 11:10:28 am »
I think I'd call it binary- a,b.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks!
P.s any tips on revising art music on the HSC?
-KgkG-

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #222 on: August 29, 2019, 11:50:16 am »
+4
Thanks!
P.s any tips on revising art music on the HSC?

Hey, Kombmail!

Try and construct a timeline with the periods in bold and then outline the key characteristics of music from that period underneath. This way, you can easily identify the concepts under exam conditions. I've got an example below  :)

Spoiler
Baroque Period (1600-1750)
Texture
- Counterpoint and polyphony common.
Dynamic and Expressive Techniques
- Terraced dynamics
- Ornamentation to decorate and elaborate melodies

I highly doubt they will ask about Western art music in the exam based on the patterns for previous years but great to see that you're looking at expanding your aural repertoire for study  :) Good luck!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #223 on: September 04, 2019, 07:35:11 am »
Hey, Kombmail!

Try and construct a timeline with the periods in bold and then outline the key characteristics of music from that period underneath. This way, you can easily identify the concepts under exam conditions. I've got an example below  :)

Spoiler
Baroque Period (1600-1750)
Texture
- Counterpoint and polyphony common.
Dynamic and Expressive Techniques
- Terraced dynamics
- Ornamentation to decorate and elaborate melodies

I highly doubt they will ask about Western art music in the exam based on the patterns for previous years but great to see that you're looking at expanding your aural repertoire for study  :) Good luck!

Angelina  ;D

Thanks! Ps my paper is a catholic one..
-KgkG-

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #224 on: September 15, 2019, 05:19:22 pm »
Can someone please help me with music theory:)
I really need help with music theory in terms of identifying certain sections and instruments and textural relationships but I really don't have a support network from any teachers for help tbh.

Is there any way I could get questions marked on here?

thanks,
Kombmail.
-KgkG-