Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 05:07:13 am

Poll

what theme should i do

do something about culture
5 (71.4%)
mental health & environment
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: art body of work HELP  (Read 4296 times)  Share 

erica123

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
art body of work HELP
« on: January 30, 2019, 05:20:15 pm »
for art i wanted to do something about my culture & the dances involved what concept could i talk about, what theme how could you illustrate cultural dancing into my art creating meaning. i need help coming up with a theme i have some many ideas but find it hard to choose one
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 05:26:48 pm by erica123 »

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Re: art body of work HELP
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 11:06:48 pm »
+3
Hey there!

Would you be able to elaborate on the ideas you would like to portray in your body of work? Perhaps we could start off from there.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

erica123

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 07:23:47 pm »
i want to potray my spainsh culture and the love i have of cultural spainsh dancing that has made me become closer to my culture
but however i have wanted to do something about mental health and the journey of someone going through mental health like stress, depression and stuff combined with nature and the process of decay and regrowth not sure which concept is stronger to do and which one to work on
is there a way to message you privately if not thats fine

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 10:07:56 pm »
+4
i want to potray my spainsh culture and the love i have of cultural spainsh dancing that has made me become closer to my culture
but however i have wanted to do something about mental health and the journey of someone going through mental health like stress, depression and stuff combined with nature and the process of decay and regrowth not sure which concept is stronger to do and which one to work on

I believe that there are pros and cons to both topics. For example, you do have the unique advantage of portraying your Spanish background and translating that into a piece of work (markers really love unique perspectives on cultures). There's something about the beauty of dance that you can perhaps portray in the work. Though what do you reckon will be the message you'll be sending within your work if you were to portray your Spanish culture? Would it illustrate the journey of dance as it has connected you to your culture? What would be the intention for you to evoke the beauty of dance?

With works surrounding mental health, there is a certain boundary you should avoid crossing- which is evoking something extremely offensive and/or inaccurate. Though if portrayed authentically, works that discuss mental health are often well rewarded. I can see that you do have a passion to do something mental health for your BOW. Perhaps you would like to go down this route instead?

It would help to look for artist/s of influence and see how they've executed their works and how they've portrayed messages.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

erica123

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 06:56:07 am »
+1
thank you so much for the help

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 08:53:01 pm »
+2

Just adding to Bea's brilliant suggestions  ;D

I think you could consider combining the two topics which could be executed quite cleverly if done well. Something that has always fascinated me is the high rates of mental illness and disorders for those in the arts. Some of the best musicians and artists have had varying mental issues and debate has been sparked on whether their works have been as a result of them or if they have been born as a form of escape.

Based on that idea, perhaps you could investigate into mental illnesses and how they may impact the expressive endeavours of dancers. Your BOW could dig into the psyche of dancers and how emotional expression in this art form is layered beyond their performances; they are a representation of their mental state and personality. You could introduce your Spanish background with iconography and illustrations that can symbolise aspects of this concept in your BOW. This could show how, in your case, culture has unified the physical and the emotional aspects of dance. From doing this, you can explore dance as both a personal form of expression and a transcendent, cultural force  :) Hope this helps and would love to hear what you decide to pursue  :D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

erica123

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 06:34:29 pm »
thank you for the ideas suggested and helping me but i came up with a different topic because my teacher didn't like the topic, we discussed and came with an idea about how pests/insects/bugs unassuming animals have a crucial role for maintaining the ecosystem, and how If all their services were gone tomorrow, many plants would soon go extinct. Crops would be lost overnight. Many birds would die from lack of food, and soil formation would largely halt. The knock-on effects would also be huge as food webs collapse, and the world would quite literally fall apart,and our views upon these animals aren't appreciation for their role. i really like this topic and concept but i'm having trouble to depict the importance of these animals (spiders, ants, snails, flies etc) i don't know how to depict that,  i'm doing drawing for my medium and its been hard to sketch out ideas i was thinking about yin and yan ( balance )  and i won't to incorporate humans because i love to draw them and also depict the animals as beautiful symmetrical not sure these are just ideas