Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:08:26 am

Author Topic: Response Feedback  (Read 4737 times)  Share 

talitha_h

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Response Feedback
« on: October 04, 2018, 02:27:37 pm »
Hi, my teacher is currently ill  :-\ so I was wondering if anyone could mark/give me feedback on my responses to the 2015 paper- Section 1?
(don't ask what happened in question 3, I really struggle with 12 markers)
I'm going to attach my responses in the next post.

Exam paper:
http://educationstandards.nsw.edu.au/wps/wcm/connect/99bc2ee5-f9fd-4bb2-857f-3ad515fe6490/visual-arts-hsc-exam-2015.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=ROOTWORKSPACE-99bc2ee5-f9fd-4bb2-857f-3ad515fe6490-lG90VzO
Markin guidelines:
http://educationstandards.nsw.edu.au/wps/wcm/connect/39b2458a-16a9-41ae-a2e8-3e9e1ad00fba/visual-arts-hsc-mg-2015.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=ROOTWORKSPACE-39b2458a-16a9-41ae-a2e8-3e9e1ad00fba-lG91rW9

Thank you in advance.
ARTEXPRESS 2019

talitha_h

• Forum Regular
Re: Response Feedback
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 04:27:04 pm »
My scans won't upload so I've typed them up.

Question 1
The Modernist period was characterised by artists seeking to question their world. In Plate 1, Goncharova exhibits aspects of the Modernist period through her painting technique that takes on Cubist aspects. The objects in the painting are broken into geometric shapes, revealing her disallusionment with the
world around her. Indeed, she may be making a comment on the need for women to fulfil domestic duties as revealed through her title, 'Linen', and the use of blue and navy tones which are contrasted against bold, red lettering. In choosing to represent an iron and everyday clothes, Goncharova reveals the altering perceptions to the way the world is received, common of the Modernist period.
ARTEXPRESS 2019

talitha_h

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 05:07:44 pm »
Question2

In Plate 2, 'Sand Drawings', Deneven highlights the relationship between his audience and site to experience the work. By using a public, natural and open landscape as his site, Deneven reveals the impact that a site can have on the way an artwork is received. As it is on a beach, a constantly changing landform, and one which his audience can easily enter, they can experience the dynamic state of the drawings as they fade. Deneven reveals how this accessible site is imperative to the audience's understanding of the work and thus influences their relationship to it. As well as evoking more personal reactions, 'Sand drawings; allows the audience to consider the world around them, due to the scale and size of the circle drawings.

Plate 3 is also reliant on its exhibition site to impact the audience. Placed in a public park, Kapoor deliberately does so to allow the audience to interact with the work by walking under and around it. The relationship between the audience and the site is fundamental to the meaning that is drawn out. The use of stainless steel for the sculpture means it is reflective, almost like a mirror despite its its rounded and irregular shape that distorts the reflections. Like Plate 2, the size and scale of this work, in conjunction with its reflections causes the audience to consider the world around them and how they see it. This is only possible due to the location of the work.
ARTEXPRESS 2019

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 09:25:50 pm »
+1
Hey!

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy at uni that's all. Check out my comments in bold in the spoiler down below!

Spoiler
How has Natalia Goncharova communicated aspects of the modernist period in her painting Linen, 1913?

The Modernist period was characterised by artists seeking to question their world (Perhaps expand a tad bit more on the whole notion of 'seeking to question their world'- what prompted artists to question their world. Possibly try and mention the industrial revolution (influence of technology within the art world). In Plate 1, Goncharova exhibits aspects of the Modernist period through her painting technique that takes on Cubist aspects. The objects in the painting are broken into geometric shapes, revealing her disallusionment with the world around her (Good!). Indeed, she may be making a comment on the need for women to fulfil domestic duties as revealed through her title, 'Linen' (rarely the title of the work is used to analyse the work- expand more on the structural frame of the work), and the use of blue and navy tones which are contrasted against bold, red lettering (good start, would love for you to expand more on this!!). In choosing to represent an iron and everyday clothes, Goncharova reveals the altering perceptions to the way the world is received, common of the Modernist period.

My comments:
Hey! There are parts that were referencing the question (ie the blue and navy tones, red lettering etc.) but I'm not entirely convinced you've answered the question properly. Like I mentioned in my bold comments, expand more on the structural frame. How does the structural frame of 'Linen' represent the modernist period. I know you've mentioned Cubism (which is a good thing) but I think one more point (beyond the artist's intention to represent an iron and everyday clothes) could help the marker understand your response.

Explain how the artworks of Jim Denevan and Anish Kapoor explore relationships between the audience and the site.   

In Plate 2, 'Sand Drawings', Deneven highlights the relationship between his audience and site to experience the work. By using a public, natural and open landscape as his site, Deneven reveals the impact that a site can have on the way an artwork is received (Perfect you've mentioned this point- just refer to the work as an installation artwork!). As it is on a beach, a constantly changing landform, and one which his audience can easily enter, they can experience the dynamic state of the drawings as they fade. Deneven reveals how this accessible site is imperative to the audience's understanding of the work and thus influences their relationship to it (I love this). As well as evoking more personal reactions, 'Sand drawings; allows the audience to consider the world around them, due to the scale and size of the circle drawings. (expand more on the scale and size of the circle drawings- how do the audience exactly consider the world because of the circles?)

Plate 3 is also reliant on its exhibition site to impact the audience (Again, just mention explicitly that it is an installation artwork). Placed in a public park, Kapoor deliberately does so to allow the audience to interact with the work by walking under and around it. The relationship between the audience and the site is fundamental to the meaning that is drawn out. The use of stainless steel for the sculpture means it is reflective, almost like a mirror despite its its rounded and irregular shape that distorts the reflections. Like Plate 2, the size and scale of this work, in conjunction with its reflections causes the audience to consider the world around them and how they see it. This is only possible due to the location of the work. (I would ask you to expand on this please. Perhaps talk more about since the artwork is temporary, the audience are forced to interact with it as the alarmingly large size of the work overwhelms the audience and perhaps have an emotional/physical effect on them as they learn to accept the size of the object and see it is apart of the environment- rather than just an artwork. That's just my analysis aha

My comments:
Everything is fine for Question 2 (your analysis and your evidence)- my main concern is just the length as it is an 8 marker question. So try and expand more on your ideas because you are onto a great start.

(don't ask what happened in question 3, I really struggle with 12 markers)

What sort of help did you need with the 12 markers? :)

Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

talitha_h

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 04:51:20 pm »
Hey!

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy at uni that's all. Check out my comments in bold in the spoiler down below!

Spoiler
The Modernist period was characterised by artists seeking to question their world (Perhaps expand a tad bit more on the whole notion of 'seeking to question their world'- what prompted artists to question their world. Possibly try and mention the industrial revolution (influence of technology within the art world). In Plate 1, Goncharova exhibits aspects of the Modernist period through her painting technique that takes on Cubist aspects. The objects in the painting are broken into geometric shapes, revealing her disallusionment with the world around her (Good!). Indeed, she may be making a comment on the need for women to fulfil domestic duties as revealed through her title, 'Linen' (rarely the title of the work is used to analyse the work- expand more on the structural frame of the work), and the use of blue and navy tones which are contrasted against bold, red lettering (good start, would love for you to expand more on this!!). In choosing to represent an iron and everyday clothes, Goncharova reveals the altering perceptions to the way the world is received, common of the Modernist period.

My comments:
Hey! There are parts that were referencing the question (ie the blue and navy tones, red lettering etc.) but I'm not entirely convinced you've answered the question properly. Like I mentioned in my bold comments, expand more on the structural frame. How does the structural frame of 'Linen' represent the modernist period. I know you've mentioned Cubism (which is a good thing) but I think one more point (beyond the artist's intention to represent an iron and everyday clothes) could help the marker understand your response.

In Plate 2, 'Sand Drawings', Deneven highlights the relationship between his audience and site to experience the work. By using a public, natural and open landscape as his site, Deneven reveals the impact that a site can have on the way an artwork is received (Perfect you've mentioned this point- just refer to the work as an installation artwork!). As it is on a beach, a constantly changing landform, and one which his audience can easily enter, they can experience the dynamic state of the drawings as they fade. Deneven reveals how this accessible site is imperative to the audience's understanding of the work and thus influences their relationship to it (I love this). As well as evoking more personal reactions, 'Sand drawings; allows the audience to consider the world around them, due to the scale and size of the circle drawings. (expand more on the scale and size of the circle drawings- how do the audience exactly consider the world because of the circles?)

Plate 3 is also reliant on its exhibition site to impact the audience (Again, just mention explicitly that it is an installation artwork). Placed in a public park, Kapoor deliberately does so to allow the audience to interact with the work by walking under and around it. The relationship between the audience and the site is fundamental to the meaning that is drawn out. The use of stainless steel for the sculpture means it is reflective, almost like a mirror despite its its rounded and irregular shape that distorts the reflections. Like Plate 2, the size and scale of this work, in conjunction with its reflections causes the audience to consider the world around them and how they see it. This is only possible due to the location of the work. (I would ask you to expand on this please. Perhaps talk more about since the artwork is temporary, the audience are forced to interact with it as the alarmingly large size of the work overwhelms the audience and perhaps have an emotional/physical effect on them as they learn to accept the size of the object and see it is apart of the environment- rather than just an artwork. That's just my analysis aha

My comments:
Everything is fine for Question 2 (your analysis and your evidence)- my main concern is just the length as it is an 8 marker question. So try and expand more on your ideas because you are onto a great start.

What sort of help did you need with the 12 markers? :)
Thanks for you feedback! The main issue I have with 12 markers is actually writing enough. So for the 12 marker I did from this paper I only wrote about as much as the 8marker. I'm able to extrapolate the main ideas but have trouble expanding as you can see from my above answers.
ARTEXPRESS 2019

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 06:26:33 pm »
+1
Thanks for you feedback! The main issue I have with 12 markers is actually writing enough. So for the 12 marker I did from this paper I only wrote about as much as the 8marker. I'm able to extrapolate the main ideas but have trouble expanding as you can see from my above answers.

Hey!

You might be able to find this guide useful.

For 12 markers, they are meant to be like a mini essay- much more condensed version of Section 2. To really expand on your main ideas- perhaps ask yourself these questions- what was the intention of the artist? What was during their time? What was happening in the artworld during their time? Did significant art movements influence their work? Significance of their materials used? I know this really depends on what the 12 marker is (if its either a frames, practice or conceptual framework question) but essentially, for 12 markers you do need to fill out the three pages provided- more if you can. Remember that you can include a very small intro and conclusion in the 12 marker- perhaps that could help expanding your main ideas as you have something to revert to if you are stuck.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.