Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:00:28 am

Author Topic: Visual Arts Question Thread  (Read 31199 times)  Share 

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Re: Visual Arts Question Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 10:21:58 am »
+1
HELP! does anyone have any decent websites or places for past Visual arts papers. Most of the plates are under copyright so its a bit of a struggle.

Thanks so much

You can try this website http://www.pasthsc.com.au/HSC_Visual_Arts.html :). You can also try this
Edit: So far only the 2014 and 2013 paper don't have copyrights.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 10:25:38 am by beatroot »
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 10:58:23 am »
+1
You can try this website http://www.pasthsc.com.au/HSC_Visual_Arts.html :). You can also try this
Edit: So far only the 2014 and 2013 paper don't have copyrights.

When most of the plates are copyrighted you can simply just copy and paste the name of the work into google and 9 times out of 10 the image for it comes up :) That's how I do it.
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

eyw00400

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 06:34:15 pm »
Hey just wondering does anyone has some good advice for doing short answers questions on architecture?
I haven't done a paper with architecture before nor did I really study it in school, I know how to talk about architecture generally but
I don't know if I could do it under exam conditions, especially when there isn't much info provided.

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 09:11:46 pm »
+4
Hey just wondering does anyone has some good advice for doing short answers questions on architecture?
I haven't done a paper with architecture before nor did I really study it in school, I know how to talk about architecture generally but
I don't know if I could do it under exam conditions, especially when there isn't much info provided.
Hey! Usually questions about architecture in art papers have an emphasis on how it relates to and works with the world, usually its immediate environment it has been placed in by its artist. So focus on materials eg. glass brings the environment in and demonstrates how the artist is influenced by the world around them. Also think of architecture which changes the way we look at the world and our surroundings. There's an example of a 12 marker on architecture here :) https://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/2013/pdf_doc/2013-hsc-visual-arts.pdf
The answers are here which can also help you in seeing how architecture and studying art/art questions link: https://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/2013/pdf_doc/2013-marking-guide-visual-arts.pdf
Hope that helped! :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

eyw00400

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 07:35:47 am »
Thanks so much!

annibananni

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 12:59:41 pm »
Hi, I have a 1500 word Art essay due, and wondering if there were any artists you could suggest and how you might go about approaching it. It is from the 2001 HSC Conceptual Framework.
“Artists interpretations of the world are constrained by their time and place”
Evaluate this statement with reference to particular examples.
I am not the best writer so any help would be appreciated.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 08:21:30 pm »
+2
Hi, I have a 1500 word Art essay due, and wondering if there were any artists you could suggest and how you might go about approaching it. It is from the 2001 HSC Conceptual Framework.
“Artists interpretations of the world are constrained by their time and place”
Evaluate this statement with reference to particular examples.
I am not the best writer so any help would be appreciated.

Hey there and welcome to the forums! :)

For this question, I'll probably go with the following artists and artworks:
1. Still Life with Chair Caning - Pablo Picasso
2. Fountain - Marcel Duchamp
3. The Merzbau - Kurt Schwitters
4. Campbell's Soup Cans - Andy Warhol

But I honestly think you can do ANY artworks/artists for this question as it is a very flexible question:

The way I would approach this question is by this:
> How an artist's artwork is influenced by movements/prominent practices during their time.

For Picasso, you can say that the industrial revolution had a HUGE impact on his painting because this allowed for cubism (artists didn't need to portray the world in an accurate manner because of the introduction of photography, thus allowing for experimenting and whatnot)

For Duchamp, the French salon influenced Duchamp to revert to the industrial wasteland as inspiration for his work and commented on the significance of an artist's conceptual ideas and how it was more important than the final look of the work (definitely an issue that hasn't been discussed before. In the past, artworks only existed because they were commissioned. Now artists had complete control of what the final look of an artwork looked like)

For Scwhitters, here's my analysis on his work 'Merzbau'

In this installation artwork called ‘Merzbau’ by the German artist Kurt Schwitters, it appears to be an assemblage of rubbish in his studio. Schwitters was an avid rubbish collector and loved to transform them into art. The found objects dramatically invaded his studio and eventually became the Merzbau. His studio became part sculpture and part environment and took over a time period of fourteen years and covered eight rooms. Every wall and ceiling was covered with a range of collected miscellaneous objects. By doing this, Schwitters gives the objects a new purpose and a new meaning. However, it is unknown what the final product looked like due to its ever changing and ongoing nature. Merzbau was not only a reflection of Schwitters’ artistic practice, but also a response to the First World War. The defeat of the Germans has lead to Schwitters withdrawal from reality and taking refuge in his artmaking process. The need to find beauty and meaning in discarded objects can symbolically represent Schwitters’ attempt to rebuild the dysfunctional German society as a result of the war.  Schwitters’ artistic practice of assembling to create a new found purpose in discarded objects has question traditional views of art.

Essentially, Schwitter's goal was to create art out of discarded objects as a cultural response to World War 1.

For Warhol, his previous job as a screen printer and the rise of consumerism during his time made him create a series of works to present these industrialised objects as art, but as well as to comment on society's ongoing problem with consumerism.

Hope this helps! :)

EclipseApocalypse

• Adventurer
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2018, 06:11:48 pm »
what is the process yall take to choose your artists, I've heard elsewhere that the artist you choose should be well-documented but what is 'well-documented'? Right now I have some artists from past case studies from prelims and this year (from oldest to latest): Paul Klee, Anish Kapoor, Lindy Lee, David Hockney and Sohei Nishino and Im planning to use the latter in section 2 of my half-yearlies

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2018, 06:20:40 pm »
+1
what is the process yall take to choose your artists, I've heard elsewhere that the artist you choose should be well-documented but what is 'well-documented'? Right now I have some artists from past case studies from prelims and this year (from oldest to latest): Paul Klee, Anish Kapoor, Lindy Lee, David Hockney and Sohei Nishino and Im planning to use the latter in section 2 of my half-yearlies

Hey there and welcome to the forums!

My art teachers would always tell us to pick artists who have actually exhibited their works at an exhibition/museum, not one of those artists who post their stuff on deviant art and tumblr ahaha. But in terms of “well documented” artists, I think that what just refers to artists who’ve actually exhibited their stuff, have made an impact within the art world, have been documented within articles, docs & textbooks and have been criticised by art critics. I personally haven’t heard of the artists you’ve done but if they reach the criteria I’ve mentioned above, it should be good.

EclipseApocalypse

• Adventurer
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2018, 09:54:41 pm »
Hey there and welcome to the forums!

My art teachers would always tell us to pick artists who have actually exhibited their works at an exhibition/museum, not one of those artists who post their stuff on deviant art and tumblr ahaha. But in terms of “well documented” artists, I think that what just refers to artists who’ve actually exhibited their stuff, have made an impact within the art world, have been documented within articles, docs & textbooks and have been criticised by art critics. I personally haven’t heard of the artists you’ve done but if they reach the criteria I’ve mentioned above, it should be good.

wow this was very helpful definitely agree that my artists arent very well known, are there any artists (any website/list) that you recommend that aren't overdone?

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2018, 02:19:08 pm »
+1
wow this was very helpful definitely agree that my artists arent very well known, are there any artists (any website/list) that you recommend that aren't overdone?

I believe that there's no such thing as an overdone artist because Section 2 is quite flexible in terms of choice of artists and there's a good chance that you will not be doing the same artists as someone else. Artists such as Picasso and Duchamp are quite good to use, even if they are "overdone" just because they've made such a huge impact in the art world, they have plenty of works that you can choose from and their works have so much depth and meaning. But here is my list of possible artists that you can use:

- Pablo Picasso (Les Mademoseilles d'Avignon or Still Life with Chair Caning or The Guernica)
- Marcel Duchamp (The Fountain or Bicycle Wheel)
- Kurt Schwitters (The Merzbau)
- Anselm Kiefer (The Daughters of Lilith and Palmsonntag)
- Andy Warhol (any work)
- Ken Unsworth (Five Secular Settings for Sculpture as Ritual and Burial Piece)
- Damien Hirst (A Thousand Years or The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living)
- ORLAN (The Reincarnation of Saint ORLAN)
- Marc Quinn (Self)
- Francisco Goya (The Third of May)
- Ai Weiwei (Sunflower Seeds or S.A.C.R.E.D.)
- Mike Parr (Close the Concentration Camps)
- Judy Chicago (The Dinner Party)

These are just a few suggestions though the ones in bold are good artists and works to have a look at in depth. The artists you choose depends on your strengths within art theory. Like for example, I used works that had a common theme between them making it easier to string my argument and relating all the works back to the question. Some students like traditional works and others like contemporary works.

If you need further help, feel free to reply back to the thread. If you also need help for any of the mentioned works/artists above, feel free to reply back.

Good luck :)

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 07:44:37 pm »
Hi!

I don't do visual arts but for one of my english related texts I am doing a painting and need help finding a specific technique the artist has used in their composition.

Basically, I am trying to say how the artist as used elements of light and fog to elicit a sense of religious mysticism. I looked at chiaroscuro but that seems to be a contrast of light and dark colours.

For anybody wanting context, the painting I am analysing is 'Wanderer Above a Sea of Fog' by Caspar David Friedrich.

Thanks!  :)
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2018, 12:01:27 pm »
+4
Hi!

I don't do visual arts but for one of my english related texts I am doing a painting and need help finding a specific technique the artist has used in their composition.

Basically, I am trying to say how the artist as used elements of light and fog to elicit a sense of religious mysticism. I looked at chiaroscuro but that seems to be a contrast of light and dark colours.

For anybody wanting context, the painting I am analysing is 'Wanderer Above a Sea of Fog' by Caspar David Friedrich.

Thanks!  :)

The way I'm going to reply to your question will be the same way I would answer questions in Visual Arts so please bare with me :)

In this oil on canvas painting called 'Wanderer above the Sea of Fog' (1819) by the German artist Caspar David Friedrich, it appears to be a man posed triumphantly above rocks and a sea of fog. The artist conveys a sense of religious mysticism as the painting exemplifies spiritual and mysterious themes through its many elements and principles of composition. The portrait layout of the painting presents a significance to the subject matter of the man rather than an emphasis on the landscape, alluding to the possibility of the theory of the sublime as the man is overwhelmed by his surroundings. The subtle, monochromatic white and blue colour scheme used to depict the sky and the fog presents an allusion to spiritual and religious notions as it depicts the "unknown". The mountains and rocks as seen behind the fog conveys the notion of the possibility of what's beyond the realm, a significant theme behind most religious institutions as adherents try to find meaning in the after life. Just like religious adherents, the body language of the man in the painting has his back facing the audience; showing his curiosity and his journey to his religious fulfilment and spiritual self actualisation. Furthermore, the juxtaposition between the light in the top half of the painting and the rocks in the bottom half, presents conflict between the two worlds and is a possible reference the heaven and hell; two reoccurring worlds within the Christian faith. It can be seen that the painting presents religious mysticism through its plentiful elements and principles of composition.

^ Sidenote: I've never studied this painting in my life or studied Adv. English at all so this is just a really rough analysis of the painting. I hope this helps in some way :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 12:03:03 pm by beatroot »

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2018, 02:37:30 pm »
+1
The way I'm going to reply to your question will be the same way I would answer questions in Visual Arts so please bare with me :)

In this oil on canvas painting called 'Wanderer above the Sea of Fog' (1819) by the German artist Caspar David Friedrich, it appears to be a man posed triumphantly above rocks and a sea of fog. The artist conveys a sense of religious mysticism as the painting exemplifies spiritual and mysterious themes through its many elements and principles of composition. The portrait layout of the painting presents a significance to the subject matter of the man rather than an emphasis on the landscape, alluding to the possibility of the theory of the sublime as the man is overwhelmed by his surroundings. The subtle, monochromatic white and blue colour scheme used to depict the sky and the fog presents an allusion to spiritual and religious notions as it depicts the "unknown". The mountains and rocks as seen behind the fog conveys the notion of the possibility of what's beyond the realm, a significant theme behind most religious institutions as adherents try to find meaning in the after life. Just like religious adherents, the body language of the man in the painting has his back facing the audience; showing his curiosity and his journey to his religious fulfilment and spiritual self actualisation. Furthermore, the juxtaposition between the light in the top half of the painting and the rocks in the bottom half, presents conflict between the two worlds and is a possible reference the heaven and hell; two reoccurring worlds within the Christian faith. It can be seen that the painting presents religious mysticism through its plentiful elements and principles of composition.

^ Sidenote: I've never studied this painting in my life or studied Adv. English at all so this is just a really rough analysis of the painting. I hope this helps in some way :)

Omg I didn't expect you would go into this much depth!

This is actually amazing and helps so much!

I am very thankful  ;D
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2018, 08:35:52 pm »
Omg I didn't expect you would go into this much depth!

This is actually amazing and helps so much!

I am very thankful  ;D

Glad you found my analysis helpful :). Expect a big paragraph response when you give me an unseen artwork aha ;)