Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:44:23 am

Author Topic: Year 10 nossal entry (coronavirus)  (Read 9840 times)  Share 

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Year 10 nossal entry (coronavirus)
« on: April 11, 2020, 05:04:18 pm »
Hi,

I am trying out for year 10 nossal and could someone please explain how it going to be different from the year 9 exam, how many people get shortlisted and usually how many get in, plus the coronavirus is going on so do you know how the exams may differ from usual? I also want to put Melbourne High as a second preference because it takes a minimum of 28 students but if I put it as second preference will I still have a chance to get shortlisted? Thanks.

SanchaTheSeeker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
Re: Year 10 nossal entry (coronavirus)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 07:03:32 pm »
I did year 10 entry (didn't get in.)
The principal says that if you get top 5 there's a high chance you'd get an offer, if you're in top 10 there's a smaller chance and if you're outside of top 10, then it's unlikely. However even if you get top 5 you still may not get an offer as it depends on whether current students move school, interstate etc.
No one knows how exams will run this year unfortunately, the situation is rapidly changing so it's too early to tell.
All the schools you apply to will use the same test, so that means you'll sit it once at one of the SEHS that you have applied for. I don't believe there was a preference system in Year 10 though, and I'm pretty sure that even if there was a preference system, your chances of getting into MHS wouldn't change.
“Our life is a constant journey, from birth to death. The landscape changes, the people change, our needs change, but the train keeps moving. Life is the train, not the station.”

― Paulo Coelho

Train nerd, Venturer Scout, and JMSS hoomun

JMSS guide: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189547

ig: @sfaunncgha

MAN0033

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 10:10:20 pm »
+1
Hi,

My friend wrote the test for Nossal last year. Out of two people he was the only one to make NHS. He got 4 superiors and one high. That to he got the offer at the last minute.

Suzie99.95

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 10:59:56 am »
+1
There are no preferences for Year 10 entry. You need to apply to each school! Preferences are only given for Year 9.

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 05:43:54 am »
Hi,

I am trying out for year 10 nossal and could someone please explain how it going to be different from the year 9 exam, how many people get shortlisted and usually how many get in, plus the coronavirus is going on so do you know how the exams may differ from usual? I also want to put Melbourne High as a second preference because it takes a minimum of 28 students but if I put it as second preference will I still have a chance to get shortlisted? Thanks.

Approximately how many students try out for the NHS year 10 exam?

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 05:45:17 am »
The principal says that if you get top 5 there's a high chance you'd get an offer, if you're in top 10 there's a smaller chance and if you're outside of top 10, then it's unlikely. However even if you get top 5 you still may not get an offer as it depends on whether current students move school, interstate etc.
No one knows how exams will run this year unfortunately, the situation is rapidly changing so it's too early to tell.
All the schools you apply to will use the same test, so that means you'll sit it once at one of the SEHS that you have applied for. I don't believe there was a preference system in Year 10 though, and I'm pretty sure that even if there was a preference system, your chances of getting into MHS wouldn't change.

Approximately how many students tryed out?

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 05:47:11 am »
Hi,

My friend wrote the test for Nossal last year. Out of two people he was the only one to make NHS. He got 4 superiors and one high. That to he got the offer at the last minute.

Approximately how many students tried out?

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 05:48:10 am »

How many kids tried out? and If you dont mind me asking what score did you get that was not accepted in top 10?

SanchaTheSeeker

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 05:42:33 pm »

How many kids tried out? and If you dont mind me asking what score did you get that was not accepted in top 10?

I lost the paper that was mailed out but I believe 2 superiors, 2 high averages, and 1 above average, just don't remember what subjects exactly. Around 100 or so tried out, it filled 3/4 of their gym
“Our life is a constant journey, from birth to death. The landscape changes, the people change, our needs change, but the train keeps moving. Life is the train, not the station.”

― Paulo Coelho

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 05:35:11 am »
I lost the paper that was mailed out but I believe 2 superiors, 2 high averages, and 1 above average, just don't remember what subjects exactly. Around 100 or so tried out, it filled 3/4 of their gym
Ahh unlucky, I just wanted to ask. how do you submit the Melbourne High application as well? Like do have to go to their school or will they collect the applications at the Nossal test.

SanchaTheSeeker

• Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 06:28:31 pm »
Ahh unlucky, I just wanted to ask. how do you submit the Melbourne High application as well? Like do have to go to their school or will they collect the applications at the Nossal test.

Not 100% sure but the form says to submit it when you take the Year 10 test in June, but if you're sitting it somewhere else (NHS, SCHS), then your best bet is to ask or just sit it at MHS

― Paulo Coelho

Tommy_01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 12:00:12 pm »

I did both the Melbourne High and Nossal Test last year. Failed to get into both, with getting 3 superiors and 2 above averages. So you really should aim for 5 superiors or 4 superiors and an above average.

As for submitting the application for Melbourne High, my dad directly gave the application to Melbourne High last year. (as he works in the city) aprroximately a week before the exam, I wrote the exam in the Nossal High School gymnasium.

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 12:18:55 pm »
Hi,

Year 10 exam is gonna be different from all other years, you must be at a year 11 level if not higher. There is not that many students who try out in year 10 at Nossal (a lot of people don't try out for a selective school for year 10 unless it is JMSS/EBS). You will have a chance to get shortlisted at any of the schools as long as it is on the list. I tried out for Nossal back then to and my friends did, so good luck. Also try to aim to be the top couple of students.

Potato^_^

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2020, 05:53:02 pm »
Hfhfgdjt I’ve only started studying for the exam in August. How hard is the exam and what type of things should I be studying to prepare? Also wondering if I somehow get an interview, is being part of mini Vinnies, student action team, environmentalist  team, past house captains and volunteering out if school enough extra curricular activities. I don’t do any sports and I don’t really have a way to prove that I am part of the student action team or environmentalist team.

Tommy_01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2020, 12:59:06 pm »
does anyone know when the test will be? Due to the new lock down orders in place