Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 07:37:27 am

Author Topic: Girlfriend in year 12?  (Read 2820 times)

Feeshiop

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Girlfriend in year 12?
« on: February 10, 2019, 03:48:41 pm »
Kind of a prepube question but whatever.

So I kinda found out this girl likes me, but I'm not sure whether to go through with this.

I've heard stories about breakups before sacs and exams, and I kinda don't wanna screw up my atar.

I'm a type of person that thinks a lot (which does take a toll on me at times), so having emotional support would be nice (however, as mentioned before, the breakup would suck a lot)

Any help would be appreciated.

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
Re: Girlfriend in year 12?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 04:50:41 pm »
+9

So I kinda found out this girl likes me, but I'm not sure whether to go through with this.

I've heard stories about breakups before sacs and exams, and I kinda don't wanna screw up my atar.

I'm a type of person that thinks a lot (which does take a toll on me at times), so having emotional support would be nice (however, as mentioned before, the breakup would suck a lot)

Hey - not sure if this will answer everything for you but AN put out a great article on this drawing on personal experiences :)

It's right here > https://atarnotes.com/hsc-relationships/
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

TheIllusion

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 04:58:34 pm »
+8
Most people in my year 12 cohort (70%) have girlfriends and boyfriends - excluding myself.
Whilst some are completely distracted pursuing their love intrest during private study (even in class), some manage to prioritize their time effectively, socializing with them out of school hours or during breaks.

2019: English 3/4, Further Mathematics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, Revolutions 3/4, Software Development 3/4

2020: ?

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 06:38:52 pm »
+16
Now I don't know how to relationship, But I can say that your high-school life isn't just about performing good in SACs and exams to get a good atar. You should be enjoying high-school and your life and finding a good balance between academics and relationships and I don't think it is a smart choice to completely neglect either side.
I would say that having strong and meaningful relationships of all sorts (not just boyfriends and girlfriends) is more important then your ATAR.
But of course you need to decide what your own values are.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 09:23:48 pm »
+12
Hey, Feeshiop!

My first word of advice is that if you're not certain about whether you share the same feelings for her, you should reflect on this before you decide if you want to pursue a relationship. Uncertainty is not the best quality to have going into a relationship so if you don't know if you're ready and willing to commit to all parts of it, the wonderful, the ugly and the powerful, then I would advise against it until you find yourself sure. The possibility of breaking up is definitely there but certainty and eagerness can effectively combat that which brings me to the other side of the argument.

If you are leaning more towards starting it, I'm a more recent example of someone who had a relationship (and is still going strong with said relationship) during my HSC. There are many benefits for having someone there for you during what may feel like the most hectic time ever. I actually found Year 12 my most successful year academically despite many people saying that it would affect my grades and my performance having a boyfriend. My boyfriend was highly supportive of my academic studies and was someone who I could confide in when I needed it most. That kind of emotional support is really valuable to have. Your friends may also offer it in their own way but I think because my boyfriend and I had known each other for already two years prior to that, we knew how to respect each other and when was a good/not good time to say or do certain things. Worrying about the ATAR was something I started to do less because I learnt that no matter how it went, I would still have a successful and happy relationship to keep me going. 

I think having a relationship, from personal experience, during Year 12 can be a great experience. You'll learn something one way or another through it. If a break up does happen, I'm sure you'll have friends and family willing to support you through it and to make sure it doesn't affect your studies. I hope this helps and do let us know what you decide to do!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 11:22:28 pm »
+12
Seems like one of those things you would regret not doing in 5 years but won’t regret doing in 5 years. Go for it.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

BKmaps

• Adventurer
  • BK
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 11:33:16 pm »
+1
If they're smarter than you, then yes. Instant atar boost right there
englinguistics 36
mysoftdev 43
methhead 35
speshal kids 29
chemotherapy 30
physically hard 31

atar 92.75 somehow
2019 rox

Feeshiop

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 07:10:36 pm »
+4
Thank you everyone for your kind replies.

The girl in mention is pretty cool so it'd be nice to start a relationship with her. Hope relationships during the final year of high school isn't as bad as what people say.
I 'kinda' had a girlfriend when I was in year 8 (we were stupid 13 year olds, so it wasn't a real relationship), it didn't work out though because she was so emotionally draining - always needing attention and not giving me space (but to be fair, I wasn't that good of a bf either because I was so shy :P). I'm testing the waters with her, but right now I'm probably leaning towards not dating purely because I don't think I'm mature enough to handle a real relationship. We'll see though.
Again, thanks everyone for their input

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 08:08:49 pm »

dude. I totally relate but only if their was a boyfriend in my life lol.
-KgkG-