Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 10:31:57 pm

Author Topic: Problem with my teacher  (Read 975 times)

ASHfan

• Fresh Poster
  • mhs
  • Respect: 0
Problem with my teacher
« on: February 02, 2019, 01:56:21 pm »
Hey everyone,

So school just started and my teachers are okay, but one of them in particular I have a problem with.
She taught me in year 9 and year 11 (and now for year 12), and I feel like she's not taking her job seriously enough. She's very knowledgable in the subject she teaches, but how she conveys the information to us, refusal to help properly, lack of empathy and how she talks down on my class is taking a toll on me. I've talked to her before, but it feels like she's not understanding what she's doing wrong. At one point, I even almost interrupted the class just to yell at her for not taking this shit properly (which is quite unorthodox of me, since I'm a quiet and a shy person).

I'm sorry if I sound immature, but my year 12 is at stake here and I just needed to vent out.
Thanks everyone
melb high

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Problem with my teacher
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 02:00:37 pm »
+11
Speak to somebody at the school who can assist with these matters if you are genuinely concerned - e.g. a coordinator, curriculum/domain leader or principal class.

I personally (as a teacher myself) don't think it's a good idea to air dirty laundry out in a public forum either. Especially given the fact your school is identifiable via your sig.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 02:14:08 pm »
+7
It might be a good idea to approach them with specific examples of what you're finding frustrating as things like "not helping properly" are likely to be hard to address if they can't see a) the behaviours you're seeing as not-proper and b) the changes you would like to see.

They might not be able or willing to make the changes you want (in which case if it's serious enough talk to your year 12 co-ordinator or similar about your concerns) but in my experience many teachers are willing to listen to student concerns and the school will take you more seriously if you've made a recent effort to address this with the teacher.

I'd say Aaron would know more about this (actually being a teacher) but thought I'd chip in based on my experiences as a student.

Good luck!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 03:37:01 pm »
+10
Quote from: miniturtle
It might be a good idea to approach them with specific examples of what you're finding frustrating as things like "not helping properly" are likely to be hard to address if they can't see a) the behaviours you're seeing as not-proper and b) the changes you would like to see.
Quote from: miniturtle
I'd say Aaron would know more about this (actually being a teacher) but thought I'd chip in based on my experiences as a student.
I concur. :)

You're not going to like every teacher and/or their teaching styles. We're all human and every person has a different way of doing things. One particular teaching style won't suit everybody but tbh I am getting really tired of the rants. Like, I get it's a stressful time and that if the teacher isn't teaching to you and your preferences then it's tough... but again, we're all human and honestly if there's enough of them (the rants/damaging public posts), it can seriously damage a teacher's reputation and create unwarranted conflict (e.g. parent ringing up and raging due to misunderstanding etc) which is the last thing a teacher needs in this busy professional climate. The professional thing to do would be to internally and privately resolve any conflict. Even if it doesn't get resolved at the faculty/coordination levels, there are higher alternatives (like I said earlier, principal class).

If a student came to me and expressed genuine concern about their inability to learn in my classroom - I'd be absolutely shocked and willing to try different things to cater to them and at least make it enjoyable. Like miniturtle has said, if students don't tell us when there are issues and what these issues are.... we cannot mind read.

If you want my opinion, I think the thread should be deleted or if we want to keep it, change this user's sig cos those that go to this school may put two and two together.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile