Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:16:42 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3571406 times)  Share 

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #840 on: February 23, 2014, 10:12:26 pm »
+1
How would you define it properly?

Also, what do we exactly have to know about the 'ATP-ADP cycle; factors affecting rate of energy transformations' which is in the current study design? I'm confused with what we are actually required to know.

Hm.. the nucleus encodes the hereditary information of the cell in the form of DNA, necessary for the synthesis of proteins, and in turn the activities of the cell.

ATP-ADP cycle; that ATP is formed through an endergonic process involving ADP + Pi, and that ADP + Pi is formed through an exergonic process, involving the breakdown of ATP by ATPase.

Edit: grammar

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #841 on: February 23, 2014, 10:15:40 pm »
I'm going to cheat on the nucleus question (because I've already passed Biology, making it ok!):

Penguin Dictionary of Biology says: the organelle in eukaryotic cells making about 10% of the cell's volume and containing the cell's chromosomes
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +40
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #842 on: February 24, 2014, 07:27:48 am »
wow that is a reallly brief explanation of nucleus. Can I use it in the exam?
2014: VCE completed
2015-2017: BSc at Melb Uni

DREAM, BELIEVE, ACHIEVE!!!

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #843 on: February 24, 2014, 07:34:44 am »
If you can't explain it (anything) in one sentence, you need to understand it better!! :-P
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #844 on: February 24, 2014, 09:29:52 am »
Just a few questions:
1)Which cell organelles are the heaviest and which are the lightest? Could someone please make a list for me!
2)How do you determine the size (in micrometers) of cells when given the magnification?
3)What's the average size of prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells (in micrometers)?
4)Why is protein and RNA more prevalent than DNA, lipids, and glycogen in prokaryotic cells?
5)Are the sequence of bases which code for amino acids universal over all organisms?

Thanks! :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:31:39 am by katiesaliba »
Bachelor of Science (Immunology major) - The University of Melbourne

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #845 on: February 24, 2014, 04:34:03 pm »
Can water ever be actively transported? Example of such a scenario if it's a possibility?

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #846 on: February 24, 2014, 04:38:03 pm »
+1
Just a few questions:
1)Which cell organelles are the heaviest and which are the lightest? Could someone please make a list for me!
2)How do you determine the size (in micrometers) of cells when given the magnification?
3)What's the average size of prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells (in micrometers)?
4)Why is protein and RNA more prevalent than DNA, lipids, and glycogen in prokaryotic cells?
5)Are the sequence of bases which code for amino acids universal over all organisms?

Thanks! :)

Care to share some thoughts or attempt these first :) ?

Can water ever be actively transported? Example of such a scenario if it's a possibility?

I don't think thats in the VCE course, i wouldn't worry too much about it. 

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #847 on: February 24, 2014, 05:25:59 pm »
Are the roles of glycoproteins on the cell membrane surface just cellular communication and cellular recognition?

Or can some protein channels be composed of glycoproteins? :)
Thanks!

nerdmmb

« Reply #848 on: February 24, 2014, 05:32:38 pm »
Are the roles of glycoproteins on the cell membrane surface just cellular communication and cellular recognition?

Or can some protein channels be composed of glycoproteins? :)
Thanks!

Carbohydrate chains that are attached to protein channels are referred to as glycoproteins whereas carbohydrate chains that are attached to the phospholipids are referred to as glycolipids.
Generally speaking, these carbohydrates are involved in cellular communication and recognition of foreign substances.

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #849 on: February 24, 2014, 05:48:08 pm »

Yes, it is transported to some desert plants (I can't remember the name) to help maintain their tumour pressure, even though the concentration of water is probably greater inside the plant than the hot and dry desert.

I don't think thats in the VCE course, i wouldn't worry too much about it. 

Actually, my Osmosis SAC had a question regarding this that was worth a fair few marks. However, they gave enough information for a logical conclusion to be drawn even if you weren't familiar about water being actively transported.

MagicGecko

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • W3$T $IDe I$ B3$T $!D3
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #850 on: February 24, 2014, 05:50:27 pm »
Glycoproteins are also involved in immunity, as you will learn in AOS 2.

2013-2016:
Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical)(Honours) @ RMIT

~Full-Time Biomedical Engineer~

"im not crying there’s just overpriced college education in my eye" ~ abigalmills-tumblr

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #851 on: February 24, 2014, 06:01:18 pm »
Yes, it is transported to some desert plants (I can't remember the name) to help maintain their tumour pressure, even though the concentration of water is probably greater inside the plant than the hot and dry desert.

I think you mean tugor/turgidity or osmotic pressure over tumour pressure  :P. Just a hunch.

Actually, my Osmosis SAC had a question regarding this that was worth a fair few marks. However, they gave enough information for a logical conclusion to be drawn even if you weren't familiar about water being actively transported.

I was talking more in the context of mammalian or even animal cells where its likely to be far beyond the context of the VCE study design. No idea about plants though.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:03:08 pm by slothpomba »

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #852 on: February 24, 2014, 06:02:57 pm »

Thanks! Btw did you mean turgor pressure?

popoy111

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #853 on: February 24, 2014, 06:10:37 pm »
in the potato osmosis sac i have been asked to explain 3 possible sources of error? What are these?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #854 on: February 24, 2014, 06:28:32 pm »
+1

As slothpumba pointed out, not part of the course.

But, because it's relatively basic, the answer is no. Water itself isn't actively transported. Although, active transport can be used to maintain water balance and that's by actively transport salts either in or out of the cell, thereby setting up a concentration gradient and receiving water via osmosis.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd