Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:37:49 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3570296 times)  Share 

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #480 on: February 07, 2014, 12:14:18 pm »
Yes
Hmmm not really. They alter the shape of the enzyme so yeah.
No

How do competitive inhibitors affect enzyme shape? Something about the bonding I suppose? Please be as detailed as possible!
So, non-competitive inhibitors affect both enzyme-substrate complexes and enzyme-product complexes?
Bachelor of Science (Immunology major) - The University of Melbourne

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #481 on: February 07, 2014, 01:20:55 pm »
How do competitive inhibitors affect enzyme shape? Something about the bonding I suppose? Please be as detailed as possible!
So, non-competitive inhibitors affect both enzyme-substrate complexes and enzyme-product complexes?
Competitive inhibitors bind themselves to the active site of an enzyme. They do not alter the shape as such, but more so block the substrate from binding to the enzyme.

Non competitive inhibitors alter the shape of the enzyme, effectively preventing enzyme-substrate complexes from forming.

Are you getting confused between the two terms?
Basically, competitive inhibitors 'compete' with the substrate for the active site, whereas non competitive inhibitors do not as they alter the conformational shape of the enzyme by attaching themselves to a region other than the active site.

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #482 on: February 07, 2014, 05:59:05 pm »
How are aggregates of triglycerides bonded to form a macromolecule? And how are they decomposed?
Also, can someone please explain the enzyme activation energy graph?
And can someone differentiate between acquired and induced immunity?

AND, in the event of a fever [in response to a parasite]; doesn't the increased temperature denature the proteins and enzymes?
Cheers :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 07:02:37 pm by MM1 »

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #483 on: February 07, 2014, 06:28:46 pm »
+1
The enzyme activation energy graph suggests how with an enzyme much less energy is required to start up a metabolic reaction in comparison to without enzyme much more energy is required to initiate a chemical reaction.
Acquired immunity is the body itself producing antibodies on exposure to a particular antigen, but induced immunity is getting given antigens put into body via eg vaccination to make body produced antibodies. Correct me please.
And could someone explain if we need to know about the Brian, spinal cord, the different Neurohormones, and to want extent if so. Thanks

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #484 on: February 07, 2014, 07:01:06 pm »
The enzyme activation energy graph suggests how with an enzyme much less energy is required to start up a metabolic reaction in comparison to without enzyme much more energy is required to initiate a chemical reaction.
Acquired immunity is the body itself producing antibodies on exposure to a particular antigen, but induced immunity is getting given antigens put into body via eg vaccination to make body produced antibodies. Correct me please.
And could someone explain if we need to know about the Brian, spinal cord, the different Neurohormones, and to want extent if so. Thanks

Thanks Chang!

I'm not sure. but I think we need to know:
The Brain (it's neurons{types), glands [pituitary] and their role.
The spinal cord in terms of it's neurons, role, [reflexes].
I think we need to know the general meaning of the term neurohormones and how they differ to general hormone and their role.

The Study Design doesn't really stipulate much about those topics; so again,I'm not sure.

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #485 on: February 08, 2014, 12:14:11 am »
Thanks.
Another question, does DNA ligase bind the phosphodiester of DNA when they are split into fragments. Do they bind any two strands of DNA that have complementary exposes nucleotides by establishing hydrogen binds. Or? Please explain, textbooks slightly confusing me saying slightly different things. Thanks.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #486 on: February 08, 2014, 12:59:38 am »
Thanks.
Another question, does DNA ligase bind the phosphodiester of DNA when they are split into fragments. Do they bind any two strands of DNA that have complementary exposes nucleotides by establishing hydrogen binds. Or? Please explain, textbooks slightly confusing me saying slightly different things. Thanks.

First part is definitely right. What a DNA ligase does is catalyse the condensation reaction that forms the ester. So in that manner, they do, as you've rightly pointed out, join up fragments of DNA.
They don't however have anything to do with establishing hydrogen bonds. As it happens, intermolecular interactions don't need enzymes to function. So, those hydrogen bonds just restore themselves because it's the most stable configuration.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

nerdmmb

« Reply #487 on: February 08, 2014, 12:26:29 pm »
why is the regulation of ions important for the normal function of muscle and nerve cells?

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #488 on: February 08, 2014, 12:38:49 pm »
why is the regulation of ions important for the normal function of muscle and nerve cells?

Ions are important in regulating a concentration gradient to ensure normal functioning of muscle and nerve cells; Ions allow for muscle contraction and ions in nerve cells enable for an action potential to occur [nerve signal] to get the message across.

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #489 on: February 08, 2014, 12:42:14 pm »
How is an autoimmune disease allayed?
How does mRNA travel through the cytosol?

Thanks!!

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #490 on: February 08, 2014, 01:02:55 pm »
+1
How does mRNA travel through the cytosol?

Pretty sure you don't need to know this.
But if you're wondering how do mRNA travel to the ribosomes (part of their main role) , that's probably a nice thing to know but, again, not necessary. Well, the mRNA are floating in the cytoplasm and diffusing in all directions; the ribosomes are doing this too. When a mRNA and ribosome contact each other they interact and carry out their function. It's also good to know that everything in the cell that is not attached to something is floating around through diffusion.

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #491 on: February 08, 2014, 01:10:40 pm »
Can competitive inhibitors and non-competitive inhibitors be both reversible and irreversible?
Do we need to differentiate between non-competitive and mixed inhibitors?

Any suggestions for additional resources on enzymes? My textbook is very lacking!

Bachelor of Science (Immunology major) - The University of Melbourne

nerdmmb

« Reply #492 on: February 08, 2014, 02:04:48 pm »
Just like to clarify a few things pertaining to homeostasis.
Multicellular organisms maintain a relatively stable internal environment as they are stimulus-response mechanisms.

There are two types of stimulus-response mechanisms; negative feedback system and positive feedback system.

The negative feedback system includes the on/off mechanism and proportional control system.

I had a question, is the on/off mechanism and proportional control system only applicable to hormones?
My textbook is quite vague in explaining this.

Thank-you!

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #493 on: February 08, 2014, 02:32:03 pm »
Can competitive inhibitors and non-competitive inhibitors be both reversible and irreversible?
Do we need to differentiate between non-competitive and mixed inhibitors?

Any suggestions for additional resources on enzymes? My textbook is very lacking!

What are competitive and non-competitive inhibitors? Answering this will bring you closer to the answer of your question. For all intents and purposes though, they are different axes (as illustrated in my really shitty diagram). I can draw/provide a diagram of the actual inhibitions of an enzyme if you think that'll help.

Once again apologies for my shitty drawing. I can't answer your second question, check the study design. As for resources, just have a good google around, there are many youtube videos on the subject. Perhaps check our the Khan academy youtube videos about biology.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 02:34:40 pm by slothpomba »

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #494 on: February 08, 2014, 02:38:35 pm »
Multicellular organisms maintain a relatively stable internal environment as they are stimulus-response mechanisms.

Organisms aren't stimulus response mechanisms :p. Not sure what you mean here.

I had a question, is the on/off mechanism and proportional control system only applicable to hormones?

Hormones contrasted against what? Drugs? Neural Signals? I think we need this before we can answer it. Neurons are obviously on or off, your arm is either moving or it isn't for instance, you either sense pain in your thigh or you don't. Could we get a definition of proportional control? Pending that, what i think you mean is that it isn't simply on or off/ it isn't black or white, it comes in shades. Hormones aren't the only things that operate in "shades". Neural impulses can be "graded" to do things like this but im not sure if its relevant to VCE, so can drugs.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 02:43:53 pm by slothpomba »

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research