Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 04:18:15 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3610600 times)  Share 

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #450 on: February 04, 2014, 09:36:17 pm »
+1
Biology is full of rubbish like that, hey? Because it's such an old science and has generated so much interest, so many of the different names for things overlap. Biologists spend half of their time arguing about what's what to be honest... hahah

It is a bit tedious (wait till you need to write a literature review and you're trying to figure out why different authors have like 10 different names for the same thing), but in the interests of the scientific method it's probably for the best. If different scientists have different ideas on a topic, then it opens door for better critical evaluation of that topic :)
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #451 on: February 04, 2014, 10:06:40 pm »
...but I have two bio textbooks (Nature of Biology and Worlds within Worlds) the latter being from the 70's, but goes into a lot more detail than NoB.

Why would you use a 70's textbook in the first place? You do realise that the VCE Biology course has been toned down over the years, and even NoB probably has more detail than what's required according to the opinion of many on this forum.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #452 on: February 04, 2014, 10:08:08 pm »
It is a bit tedious (wait till you need to write a literature review and you're trying to figure out why different authors have like 10 different names for the same thing), but in the interests of the scientific method it's probably for the best. If different scientists have different ideas on a topic, then it opens door for better critical evaluation of that topic :)

Different ideas yes, but when they have so much overlap and so many various systems and names for the same thing. It makes it quite a pain in the arse!
Yeah, not looking forward to literature reviews!
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
« Reply #453 on: February 04, 2014, 10:35:45 pm »
+1
Different ideas yes, but when they have so much overlap and so many various systems and names for the same thing. It makes it quite a pain in the arse!
Yeah, not looking forward to literature reviews!

Totally agree, this is why empiricism is so important (but dreadfully neglected). As for lit reviews, they're fine until you're going to publish one and then it's all redraft and redraft et cetera ad nauseum
2013-2016

TimewaveZero

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
  • School: Billanook College
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #454 on: February 05, 2014, 08:24:18 am »
Why would you use a 70's textbook in the first place? You do realise that the VCE Biology course has been toned down over the years, and even NoB probably has more detail than what's required according to the opinion of many on this forum.

Because I'm the kind of person who A) Likes reading B) Feel like I need to know as much as I can about something regardless whether I have to or not C) the book was just sitting on the shelf so I thought I'd pick it up, and it actually does help clarify a few things, as it is set out like a book rather than a textbook
2014: Biology | Business Management | Chemistry | English | Mathematical Methods | 87.40

2015 - 2019/20
Majoring in Chemistry and Computational Science

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #455 on: February 05, 2014, 12:33:24 pm »
+1
Totally agree, this is why empiricism is so important (but dreadfully neglected). As for lit reviews, they're fine until you're going to publish one and then it's all redraft and redraft et cetera ad nauseum

Biology is quite unique among the sciences for this. Well perhaps not unique, but when compared to Physics and Chemistry where at least what is known and established is referred to in the same way. It's a pain in the neck, they need to standardise!

Because I'm the kind of person who A) Likes reading B) Feel like I need to know as much as I can about something regardless whether I have to or not C) the book was just sitting on the shelf so I thought I'd pick it up, and it actually does help clarify a few things, as it is set out like a book rather than a textbook

These are all good reasons to look at it, though I wouldn't be using it to clarify imo. The book will be very largely incorrect as most of the biol course content is actually relatively new.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

smile+energy

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • A big smile, the most amazing thing ever.
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #456 on: February 05, 2014, 04:16:16 pm »
Hi, everyone
I am learning 3/4 this yr but I didn't do the 1/2. Now, I am struggling bio a bit, can anyone tell me what should I do to? And what I really to focus on? things like key terms, do I need to remember all of them back to the front? Thanks in advance :)
2014: English(EAL)   Methods   Biology   Health and human development   Accounting

popoy111

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #457 on: February 05, 2014, 08:02:05 pm »
3. Explain why a functioning cell membrane is essential to maintain the integrity and survival of cells showing your understanding of the structure of the cell membrane.

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #458 on: February 05, 2014, 08:45:20 pm »
+1
3. Explain why a functioning cell membrane is essential to maintain the integrity and survival of cells showing your understanding of the structure of the cell membrane.
The cell membrane is selectively permeable allowing it to import and export substances needed by the cell as necessary. The cell is compartmentalized by the cell membrane making it possible for membrane bound organelles to have different compositions and achieve metabolic efficiency. These compartments are important in making sure energy is conserved and used most efficiently inside the cell by preventing interference between different reaction pathways and enabling radically different reaction environments to be accommodated in organelles.
The cell membrane is composed of phospholipids with a hydrophilic phosphate head and hydrophobic lipid tails. This means the phosphate heads point into the cytosol and the lipid tails point towards each other (diagram might help in visualizing this). The steroid cholestrol is wedged between the phospholipid molecules of animal cells and is a fluidity buffer for the membrane by resisting changes in membrane fluidity that can result from changing temperature. This is fundamental in how some animals have evolved to cope with extreme temperatures. For example, Arctic Fish have a high proportion of unsaturated hydrocarbon (kinked) tails in their membrane enabling their membranes to stay fluid. If they had saturated hydrocarbon tails packed together, the membrane would be highly viscous and would solidify in the low temperatures of its habitat, meaning the cell would lack its functionality too.

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +40
  • School: The University of Melbourne
« Reply #459 on: February 05, 2014, 09:42:08 pm »
Can anyone explain transcription and translation in easy words?
2014: VCE completed
2015-2017: BSc at Melb Uni

DREAM, BELIEVE, ACHIEVE!!!

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #460 on: February 05, 2014, 10:16:44 pm »
+1
Can anyone explain transcription and translation in easy words?
Transcription is the RNA production from a DNA template. It can occur in the nucleus, mitochondria or chloroplast in Eukaryotes. Base sequences in DNA (triplet codes) are copied onto an m-RNA molecule as codons.
Translation is when the base sequence in mRNA are used to produce an amino acid sequence of a polypeptide chain, which folds to become a protein.

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #461 on: February 05, 2014, 11:06:37 pm »
So I did a prac to identify how much water was taken up/lost by potato tuber cells. There were 5 test tubes with different concentrations of sucrose (0M,0.25M,0.5M,0.75M,1M); a small slice of potato was placed in each of them and left for 25 mins. When placed initially, all pieces of potato were at the bottom of the test tube. At around 8 mins, I noticed that the potato cell in the 0.75M and 1M solution begun to float. I'm assuming this is because water had left the cell from regions of low solute concentration to regions of high solute concentration and the density of the potato tuber cells in both these solutions became less than the density of water (lower mass to volume ratio).  However, at around 22 minutes, the cell in the 0.75M sucrose solution sunk to the bottom of the test tube. The only reason I can think of to explain this is that water flowed back into the now hypertonic cell, causing it to increase in mass and density. However, comparing the size of the potato tuber piece (1cm) and the volume of the test tube (20mL), this doesn't make sense. Can someone explain what would have really happened and also why the cell in the 1M solution did not ultimately sink as well?

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #462 on: February 05, 2014, 11:18:29 pm »
Is StudyOn worth it? Does the online code come with the purchased book? Thanks.

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
« Reply #463 on: February 05, 2014, 11:56:41 pm »
+2
[snip] at around 22 minutes, the cell in the 0.75M sucrose solution sunk to the bottom of the test tube. The only reason I can think of to explain this is that water flowed back into the now hypertonic cell, causing it to increase in mass and density. However, comparing the size of the potato tuber piece (1cm) and the volume of the test tube (20mL), this doesn't make sense. Can someone explain what would have really happened and also why the cell in the 1M solution did not ultimately sink as well?

The best explanation that I can come up with - aside from experimental error, which is something you should seriously consider - is that there was an eventual net movement of H2O back into the plant cell sample. Let's try to rationalise this:

• Plant cell is placed in 0.75M solution.
• The solution is hypertonic to the cell, causing net movement of water OUT of the cell into the solution. The solution is now hypotonic to the cell.
• The net flow of water into the solution has diluted the solution to an extent that it is sufficiently hypotonic relative to the cell's tonicity that there is now net H2O movement back into the cell.

The issue here is that the plant cell and the solution did not reach an equilibrium, which would occur after a while unless the solute concentration of the solution is extremely high.

The fact that this net back-flow of H2O didn't happen with the 1M sample somewhat supports this theory, because even with the dilution of the solution by the cell's water content, the solution may still have been to hypertonic relative to the cells that no net H2O flow back into the cells can occur.

N.B. This is all conjecture given that I did not observe your lab practice and cannot readily reproduce the experiment (at home haha). As I mentioned above, consider how experimental error may have played a part here; perhaps the 0.75M solution was prepared incorrectly and was not, in fact, 0.75M?
2013-2016

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #464 on: February 06, 2014, 10:07:58 am »
Hi, I was confused as to whether radioisotopes and radioactive isotopes are the same thing?

Thanks!