Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:58:24 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3571505 times)  Share 

Yacoubb

Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2014, 11:22:21 am »
Fair enough :)
I just hope I have enough time in the end to be able to complete and review my practice exams.

By the time you're finalising your practice exam regime, you're going to be so over practice papers lol! You'll be praying for the exam day to come so you can just finish the bloody exam! :) Don't worry! You have plenty of time!

nerdmmb

« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2014, 11:26:38 am »
By the time you're finalising your practice exam regime, you're going to be so over practice papers lol! You'll be praying for the exam day to come so you can just finish the bloody exam! :) Don't worry! You have plenty of time!

Thanks Yacoubb :)
I'm already praying for the year to finish :P

Also, would it be better to make summaries or notes that are in-depth?

Yacoubb

« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2014, 11:28:23 am »
+1
Thanks Yacoubb :)
I'm already praying for the year to finish :P

Also, would it be better to make summaries or notes that are in-depth?

Both! You need to remember that when you sit a SAC or the exam, your knowledge of the course for that topic must be really in depth. However, you must tailor it to fit the question. Summaries are great to read just before your assessment, or even just quickly before you go to bed :)

nerdmmb

« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2014, 11:29:10 am »
Don't get me wrong, you can work ahead if you want and if you have time/motivation, but you don't need to have done half the course before you start in Feb.

I understand :) Just needed to clarify since there's so many different views as to when practice exams should be approached, etc.

nerdmmb

« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2014, 11:30:54 am »
Both! You need to remember that when you sit a SAC or the exam, your knowledge of the course for that topic must be really in depth. However, you must tailor it to fit the question. Summaries are great to read just before your assessment, or even just quickly before you go to bed :)

Makes sense now :) Thank-you :)
I might continue writing my notes and perhaps make summaries whilst revising..

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #200 on: January 13, 2014, 11:35:42 am »
Hi in chemistry we have learnt about exothermic reactions giving off energy and endothermic reactions absorbing energy, and in our biology book we are learning about endergonic reactions absorbing energy and exergonic reactiong giving off energy,

What is the difference between exothermic and exergonic and the difference between endothermic and endergonic reactions?
If there is one that is, :)

Thanks

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #201 on: January 13, 2014, 11:40:52 am »
i'm really confused..my chem teacher said that in a chemical reaction when you are breaking bonds, it takes more energy, thus the reaction absorbs energy (endothermic reaction) and that when you are making bonds, it does not require alot of energy and so instead energy is released (exothermic reaction). However, in my bio book it suggests the total opposite by saying that catabolic reactions are exergonic reactions (They give off energy).

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #202 on: January 13, 2014, 11:41:18 am »
Hi in chemistry we have learnt about exothermic reactions giving off energy and endothermic reactions absorbing energy, and in our biology book we are learning about endergonic reactions absorbing energy and exergonic reactiong giving off energy,

What is the difference between exothermic and exergonic and the difference between endothermic and endergonic reactions?

Thanks

Generally, they mean the same thing. But I think there is a slight difference, I wouldn't know as I just started chem sorry. But in biology we use exergonic and endergonic though and your definitions for them are correct.

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #203 on: January 13, 2014, 11:44:16 am »
Generally, they mean the same thing. But I think there is a slight difference, I wouldn't know as I just started chem sorry. But in biology we use exergonic and endergonic though and your definitions for them are correct.

thanks for your help! :)

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #204 on: January 13, 2014, 11:46:19 am »

Thanks
There is a difference, but for the purpose of VCE biology, endergonic/exergonic should be used instead of endothermic/exothermic.

Endothermic/exothermic relate to a change in heat, whereas endergonic/exergonic relate to Gibbs Free Energy (you don't need to know this)
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #205 on: January 13, 2014, 11:56:19 am »
There is a difference, but for the purpose of VCE biology, endergonic/exergonic should be used instead of endothermic/exothermic.

Endothermic/exothermic relate to a change in heat, whereas endergonic/exergonic relate to Gibbs Free Energy (you don't need to know this)

Thanks heaps! That helps me to understand it better!
Oh okay :)

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #206 on: January 13, 2014, 01:24:04 pm »
Which organelles would be required to produce neurotransmitter molecule within a neuron?
Would it be enough to say ribosomes, or would I have be more specific and mention ribosomes on the rough endoplasmic reticulum?

How do neurotransmitter molecules exit the axon terminal to reach the synaptic cleft?
Golgi apparatus package neurotransmitters into secretory vesicles which exit via exocytosis. Or would it be enough to say that they exit via exocytosis?

Edit: I'm trying to be as brief as possible if you haven't already noticed :p
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 01:26:23 pm by oddly »

Yacoubb

« Reply #207 on: January 13, 2014, 02:19:45 pm »
Which organelles would be required to produce neurotransmitter molecule within a neuron?
Would it be enough to say ribosomes, or would I have be more specific and mention ribosomes on the rough endoplasmic reticulum?

How do neurotransmitter molecules exit the axon terminal to reach the synaptic cleft?
Golgi apparatus package neurotransmitters into secretory vesicles which exit via exocytosis. Or would it be enough to say that they exit via exocytosis?

Edit: I'm trying to be as brief as possible if you haven't already noticed :p

I'd say the ribosomes on the rough endoplasmic reticulum. Any polypeptide that is synthesised by a cell, and carry out their biological function outside the cell of production, are synthesised in the ribosomes studded on the endoplasmic reticulum organelle.

When an action potential arrives at the axon terminal, this triggers an influx of Ca2+ ions. As a result, this triggers the exocytosis of neurotransmitter molecules (which are found in small, synaptic vesicles). Once they are secreted by exocytosis (an endergonic process), they diffuse across the synaptic cleft, bind to post-synaptic receptors and carry out their excitatory or inhibitory function.

Hope this helps :)
PS its good to be as succinct as possible. Assessors love punchy, succint answers that are very clear! :)

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #208 on: January 13, 2014, 02:41:52 pm »
Are we required to know about the divisions of the PNS?

Yacoubb

« Reply #209 on: January 13, 2014, 02:59:27 pm »
+1
Are we required to know about the divisions of the PNS?

All you need to know about the peripheral nervous system is that it includes all the nerves that connect the central nervous system to the rest of the body. You don't need to do about sympathetic/parasympathetic and all those divisions of the PNS.