Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:33:40 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3571011 times)  Share 

Yacoubb

Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2013, 11:10:45 am »
+1
Can someone please explain 3' and 5' in  DNA :)

To be honest, all you need to know is that polynucleotide synthesis occurs 5' to 3', and that DNA is anti-parallel, meaning that one of the polynucleotide chains runs 5' to 3' in one direction, and the other polynucleotide chain (joined to the first by weak hydrogen bonding) runs 5' to 3' in the opposite direction.

But the part on knowing polynucleotide synthesis occurs 5' to 3' is important for many topics you'll cover in Unit 4 including the Polymerase Chain Reaction, Transcription, etc.

DJA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Literature is the question minus the answer.
  • Respect: +201
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2013, 11:43:13 am »
I've read the threads outlining ATP synthesis, I've read Nature of Biology outlining it and I have studied the Biozone explanation but this biological process still eludes my understanding in how it all fits together. :-[
Could someone be kind enough to outline the whole process tracking the glucose molecule from the beginning right to the very end and how ATP is produced and consumed throughout the process as well as the meaning of each specific process at each stage (glycolysis, link reaction, krebs, electron transport).
I don't care if it goes outside the VCE course because I do not want to rote learn just the definitions for Krebs cycle etc. What I need to understand to learn it, is how it all fits together from beginning to end, because right now I am just confused as hell.

Thanks a ton in advance.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 12:43:12 pm by DJALogical »
2014 - English (50, Premier's Award)| Music Performance (50, Premier's Award) | Literature (46~47) | Biology (47) | Chemistry (41) |  MUEP Chemistry (+4.5)  ATAR: 99.70

Griffith University Gold Coast Queensland
2015 - 2017 Bachelor of Medical Science (BMedSc)
2017 - 2021 Doctor of Medicine (MD)

DJA's Guide to Language Analysis (Section C)
DJA's guide on the topic of English Expression (Text response)

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2013, 12:42:20 pm »
+7
I've read the threads outlining ATP synthesis, I've read Nature of Biology outlining it and I have studied the Biozone explanation but this biological process still eludes my understanding in how it all fits together. :-[
Could someone be kind enough to outline the whole process tracking the glucose molecule from the beginning right to the very end and how ATP is produced and consumed throughout the process as well as the meaning of each specific process at each stage (glycolysis, link reaction, krebs, electron transport).
I don't care if it goes outside the VCE course because I do not want to rote learn just the definitions for Krebs cycle etc. What I need to understand to learn it, is how it all fits together from beginning to end, because right now I am just confused as hell.
I even had a freaking tutor session once off and he was completely useless and just scratched the surface.

Thanks a ton in advance.
Below is the depth I learnt it in (from my notes, actually). I'd like to stress that this is still just a simplification. However, this depth is still beyond the scope of 3/4 Bio.

There isn't much point learning more than what I put for Kreb's or Glycolysis, as at that point you're just rote learning enzymes and intermediate compounds.

Aerobic Cellular Respiration
•   Cellular respiration involves the breakdown of glucose into ATP (chemical energy in glucose is converted into immediately usable energy of ATP)
•   One of two types of respiration. It requires oxygen. The other type is anaerobic respiration, which does not require oxygen.
•   It is an exergonic, catabolic reaction (CATS EXPIRE: catabolic, exergonic, respire)
•   Balanced equation: C6H12O6 + 6O2     -->     6CO2 + 6H2O 
•   Word equation: glucose + oxygen gas      -->    carbon dioxide + water
•   Occurs in the mitochondria:
•   It has two membranes - the outer membrane and the high folded inner membrane. A mitochondria can be easily recognised by this folded inner membrane. The infoldings in this inner membrane are known as the cristae.
•   The intracellular space bordered by the inner membrane is known as the mitochondrial matrix (or simply matrix).
•   The mitochondria has its own ribosomes and its own circular DNA (mtDNA), similar to prokaryotic DNA. This DNA is passed maternally.
•   This is evidence for the fact that they once existed as separated prokaryotic organisms (see the endosymbiotic theory)
•   It is slower than anaerobic respiration, but more efficient (more ATPs per glucose molecule generated)
•   It is a continuous, sustained reaction, whereas anaerobic respiration lasts for short bursts of time.
•   Occurs in three stages: Glycolysis, Krebs Cycle and Electron Transport. Only the last two are exclusive to aerobic respiration: glycolysis also occurs with anaerobic respiration

Glycolysis
•   Inputs: glucose, ADP+Pi, NAD+
•   Outputs: 2 pyruvate, 2 ATP, 2NADH
•   Where: cytosol
•   What happens: a glucose molecule is broken down into two pyruvate molecules via a series of intermediate reactions.
•   The process actually requires an input of 2 ATPs, but generates 4 ATPs, resulting in a net gain of 2 ATPs (probably not that relevant to the course). High energy electron carrier NADH is also produced.

Krebs Cycle/ Citric Acid Cycle
•   Inputs: pyruvate, ADP+Pi, NAD+, FAD
•   Outputs: NADH, FADH2,1 ATP, 3 CO2 (per pyruvate. Remember there are two pyruvates per glucose)
•   Where: mitrochondrial matrix
•   What happens: pyruvate is, via a series of intermediate reactions, converted into 3 carbon dioxide molecules, 2 ATP and high energy electron carriers for use in electron transport.
•   Pyruvate is first broken down into a two carbon compound (producing one CO2 molecule) which joins with coenzyme A to form Acetyl CoA (note that this is technically not part of the Krebs Cycle). Acetyl CoA enters the Krebs Cycle and undergoes a series of reactions, producing the high energy electron carriers NADH and FADH2 as well as ATP. This process produces 2 CO2 molecules (again, per pyruvate).
•   Why is it a cycle? This isn't too relevant to 3/4 Biology, but it is cyclic in nature because the Acetyl CoA joins with a 4 carbon compound known as oxaloacetate. The resulting substance undergoes the Krebs Cycle, which ends up regenerating oxaloacetate for future use (on top of the other products.)

Electron Transport Chain
•   Inputs: NADH, FADH2, ADP+Pi, O2
•   Outputs: Water, NAD+, FAD, 32-34 ATPs
•   Where: cristae of the mitochondria
•   What happens: the high energy electrons from the previous stages undergo a series of reactions, releasing the energy that drives ATP synthesis.
•   The high energy electron carriers, NADH and FADH2, carry the high energy electrons to the electron transport chain, a series of reactions that the electrons undergo (redox reactions), losing energy in each reaction. It (this electron transport chain) is facilitated by cytochrome protein complexes. The energy produced is used to drive the synthesis of ATP via the protein complex ATP Synthase (NB. this is a simplification. The following is for your interest only: the electron transport chain actually involves protons being pumped out into the intermembrane space between the cristae and the outer membrane. This causes a H+ buildup in the intermembrane space, meaning the H+ ions want to move back into the matrix (the H+ gradient is known as a proton-motive force). The only pathway for them to move back is ATP Synthase, and as they move back it drives the synthesis of ATP.)
•   The electrons are finally accepted by oxygen, which becomes reduced (remember reduction = gaining electrons) to water.
•   What causes the difference in ATP production in the electron transport chain? Some cells require the generation of more ATP, specifically liver and muscle cells because they are more energy intensive.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 12:45:40 pm by psyxwar »
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2013, 01:13:30 pm »
Thanks psyxwar for that concise outline!

However, I'm still trying to fully understand the biochemical processes (photosynthesis & respiration); as in what's expected from VCAA. Apparently, we're only expected to know the inputs/outputs/location of reaction? What's the best way to go around learning this?

Thank you!!

DJA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2013, 01:24:34 pm »
+2
Thanks psyxwar for that concise outline!

However, I'm still trying to fully understand the biochemical processes (photosynthesis & respiration); as in what's expected from VCAA. Apparently, we're only expected to know the inputs/outputs/location of reaction? What's the best way to go around learning this?

Thank you!!

Correct that is all you need to know for VCE. You can either choose to rote learn the input outputs etc or you can try and comprehend the full process. Personally I go with the latter because that's how I like to learn.

psyxwar thanks you legend.
2014 - English (50, Premier's Award)| Music Performance (50, Premier's Award) | Literature (46~47) | Biology (47) | Chemistry (41) |  MUEP Chemistry (+4.5)  ATAR: 99.70

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2013, 01:32:45 pm »
+1
Do more enzymes collectively make the reaction rate faster, or mean less activation energy is required for the reaction to begin? My guess is not.
I know that enzyme concentration affects enzyme production. Net increase of enzyme = more product made per unit of time?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2013, 02:40:26 pm »
+1
Do more enzymes collectively make the reaction rate faster, or mean less activation energy is required for the reaction to begin? My guess is not.
I know that enzyme concentration affects enzyme production. Net increase of enzyme = more product made per unit of time?

Increase in reaction rate, provided that the enzyme concentration is the limiting factor and not the substrate concentration. You can't increase the concentration of enzymes indefinitely with the hope that the reaction rate will keep increasing, because you need substrate to fill those enzymes. That and other factors also complicate it as well.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

sprakash97

« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2013, 07:32:08 pm »
+1
Thanks Yacoubb, also do you know any mnemonics for bio?

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2013, 07:43:45 pm »
+4
For the nervous system aspect of the course, some people find it tough to remember which neurons are afferent and which are efferent;

SAME

Sensory - Afferent; Motor - Efferent
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2013, 08:44:03 pm »
+1
Would you guys recommend making your own hand written notes? I feel it'd kinda be time consuming, considering already having TSFX, A+ notes and other reliable papers/resources? ...

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2013, 08:55:52 pm »
+2
Would you guys recommend making your own hand written notes? I feel it'd kinda be time consuming, considering already having TSFX, A+ notes and other reliable papers/resources? ...

I made my own handwritten notes (see A Guide to Success in VCE Biology) even though I also had A+ Notes and various other stuff too, because I learn best by writing things out. This isn't the same for everyone - and time management is pretty important in VCE - so it's entirely up to you and how you think you will learn best :)
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2013, 06:21:57 pm »
+1
This question is most likely out of the scope of what's expected for VCE Biol, but what is 'choline' [found in phospholipids]?

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2013, 06:29:27 pm »
+2
Choline isn't necessarily apart of phospholipids; phospholipids have a variable group attached to the phosphate group, which can be choline. If you're interested in what it is exactly (which is completely irrelevant to the course), just read the wikipedia page.
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020

DJA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2014, 11:40:32 am »
+1
Increase in reaction rate, provided that the enzyme concentration is the limiting factor and not the substrate concentration. You can't increase the concentration of enzymes indefinitely with the hope that the reaction rate will keep increasing, because you need substrate to fill those enzymes. That and other factors also complicate it as well.
Regarding Enzymes:
So, IF you assume ample substrate and cofactors present, if you increase the concentration of enzymes, will the rate of the reaction similarly increase in a linear fashion?
I am assuming ideal conditions.

Does the rate of reaction eventually plateau or will the rate of reaction continue to increase assuming the said conditions?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:45:05 am by DJALogical »

Yacoubb

« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2014, 11:48:36 am »
+2
Regarding Enzymes:
So, IF you assume ample substrate and cofactors present, if you increase the concentration of enzymes, will the rate of the reaction similarly increase in a linear fashion?
I am assuming ideal conditions.

Does the rate of reaction eventually plateau or will the rate of reaction continue to increase assuming the said conditions?

Answering your first question: if you increase substrate concentration as you increase enzyme concentration, the reaction rate of the enzyme will increase in a linear fashion, assuming all other variables are kept constant. However, you may see a plateau because of product concentration, which forms almost an obstacle that limits the time interval in which the enzyme & substrate combine & react together, thereby reducing the activity rate of the enzyme.