Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:19:51 pm

Author Topic: Debunking widely-held myths about Maths  (Read 4325 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Re: Debunking widely-held myths about Maths
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 08:03:36 pm »
Here's an additional maths myth (or is it?) that I would like to debunk: Maths is so uncreative, in most cases there's only one way to solve a problem. If you don't apply this specific rule or formula, well too bad.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 08:29:50 pm »
+2
Here's an additional maths myth (or is it?) that I would like to debunk: Maths is so uncreative, in most cases there's only one way to solve a problem. If you don't apply this specific rule or formula, well too bad.

I agree that we are often taught one key method for problems, but there are certainly many ways to go about things.

Even in simple multiplication, people have different ways of doing it in their head. Multiplying 19 by 20 will give you the answer 380, but this can be obtained a number of different ways. You could multiply 16 by 10 and then double it. You could also use the knowledge that 20^2 is 400 and simply subtract 20 from that.

In problem solving and application questions, there are many different ways to go about things. It's a shame that these are not the type of questions that VCE maths is heavily focused on. These are some really great problem-solving questions from past Australia Maths Competitons and can be approached a number of ways.

Best of luck finding new ways to solve problems and use your brain!

Edit: Another way that we can consider maths creative is the way that complex mathematics is being used in new and innovative ways to benefit society. For example, statistics and precise calculations are heavily used in medicine to track different treatment options and the likely outcomes for patients. This is done using technology powered by innovation and mathematical skills. Lots of new technology requires people using maths to create.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 08:31:42 pm by laura_ »

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 08:35:43 pm »
+2
Problems in general a lot of the time only have one way to solve them. But this is not always the case.

This is not unique to math, the same goes for other ‘problem solving type’ subjects such as physics, chemistry etc was
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 05:23:34 pm »
+1
I can only speak from knowing an extremely small sample of students, but why does it seem like no one looks favourably upon maths while I have class? I have tried my best to consider the great advice that has been provided in this thread, but I have not yet found anyone (in real life) that actually likes maths.

Another thing, why is it that certain individuals seem to actually find maths problem-solving fun, while I find it painful and tedious? I'm putting as much effort as I possibly can, but I'm not seeing any improvement. Yet.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 05:28:39 pm by JR_StudyEd »
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2019, 08:41:03 pm »
+3
I can only speak from knowing an extremely small sample of students, but why does it seem like no one looks favourably upon maths while I have class? I have tried my best to consider the great advice that has been provided in this thread, but I have not yet found anyone (in real life) that actually likes maths.
That's weird. I know heaps of people who love maths.

Another thing, why is it that certain individuals seem to actually find maths problem-solving fun, while I find it painful and tedious? I'm putting as much effort as I possibly can, but I'm not seeing any improvement. Yet.

I guess it's because you haven't seen the beauty of mathematics. Most people see it has some insanely hard thing that you need an IQ of 160 to understand. It is really hard but it's also beautiful, and it's these insights that allow one to appreciate it. Also not everyone is made for Maths, its natural. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. Your talent may be something else other than Math's, and that's open for you to discover.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 08:42:55 pm by DrDusk »