Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:34:11 am

Author Topic: I don't know what to do with my life  (Read 796 times)

jinbae9292

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
I don't know what to do with my life
« on: May 13, 2019, 10:27:59 am »
Currently a very worried and stressed student in yr 11.

Hi,
I don't know what subjects I should do. Even though it is term 2, my deputy is happy to let me move subjects.

I currently take Eng Adv, Eng Ext 1, Maths Adv (2u), Phys, Econ, Legal, IPT
My aim is a mid to high 90's but anything 90 I'd be grateful with hehe...
I am considering to change IPT to Chem as I severely dislike IPT even though it is a relatively easy course. It's too boring and I do absolutely nothing every single class.

My school ranks in the top 10 public schools in NSW and my cohort is relatively very good.
Honestly speaking, I always wanted to drop Legal for Yr 12 as I just find it to be so boring compared to my other subjects. However, I achieve excellent grades for Legal despite putting in the most bare minimum effort and my school produces a lot of rank 6's for legal. I even put this on the Atar calculator and it's much better to score a Band 6 in Legal rather than a Band 5 in Economics. Even so, I really enjoy Econ and my grades are also great but I know a Band 6 for the HSC might be very difficult so in the end a Band 6 in Legal would benefit myself far greater and I'm pretty sure I can get a Band 6 but Jesus Christ Legal is so boring. So I am very conflicted.

As for changing IPT to chem. IPT is a very simple subject that is not content heavy at all but I don't remember jack shit from it because I don't listen. So I concluded that it would be better for me to sit in Chem instead. I'm fine with this but worried as already Econ and Legal are content heavy and Phys is rather content heavy too. Will adding Chem to the list just make everything a hundred times harder ? Am I just putting myself through something I don't need to ? If I just tried in IPT I know I could ace it and it would no where require as much work as Chem but just the thought of that makes me wanna sleep for 1000 years lol.

So I thought.. I won't drop anything and keep Legal as my backup but then wouldn't it just be better to drop Econ or Phys (predicting these 2 to score the lowest out of all) and invest a lot more time into the other subjects to raise my mark?

I honestly don't know what to do. At all.
I know this was super long and thank you so much for reading until now.
If anyone could give me any word of advice, inputs, past experiences please let me know. I really wanted to let this out
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:34:20 am by jinbae9292 »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: I don't know what to do with my life
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 10:36:28 am »
+6
Hey! My response here is the same as in your other thread - Don't make decisions to boost your ATAR. It is the wrong way to look at things and you will end up shooting yourself in the foot. You need to treat the ATAR as a secondary outcome; your decisions should be based on enjoyment and whether you think the knowledge will benefit you in terms of where you see yourself going in life. Enjoy Chem and think IPT is super boring? Ditch IPT, if you do it you'll end up procrastinating the workload and doing poorly compared to enjoying and working hard in Chem. Find Legal boring? Well there's no reason to keep it; the fact your school produces lots of Band 6's for it is totally irrelevant.

You need to shift away from a focus on results. Making decisions now based only on a number you get in 1.5 years will not make you happy and probably won't yield the highest number for you anyway. Choose what you enjoy, choose what you find interesting/fulfilling, choose things where gaining the knowledge is something you'd be keen on (at least a little) even if there were no marks to be received at the end. This will make you want to work hard, which will make you more likely to succeed :)

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
Re: I don't know what to do with my life
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 11:37:00 am »
+3
What he said. Also, looking at the bigger picture, ATAR isn't everything.

I got an ENTER (gosh I am showing my age) in the low 90s, yet I (eventually) found my calling after a quarter-life crisis in spite of that. I think it was a topic of conversation for about a week after starting undergraduate uni and then it was never spoken of again.

it's a journey, not a destination
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator