Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:00:44 am

Author Topic: Best ways to study for modern?  (Read 745 times)  Share 

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Best ways to study for modern?
« on: July 26, 2018, 10:00:06 pm »
Hey!
So i'm looking to tweak my modern history study methods.
Like how the HECK i study for this subject. I've realised that i'm kinda lacking in terms of modern study.
How does everyone like to study? What do they think is best, and why?

Thanks!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: Best ways to study for modern?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 10:38:08 pm »
+6
Hi!

My three favourite ways to study for Modern were:
1. Testing my friends (and vice versa): really helped consolidate my knowledge and it was really easy to detect what I was forgetting. Also, teaching others the content is a good test for whether you understand something or not! This method works for all subjects.
2. Accents: I already liked studying for Modern but this made it just that bit more fun. This method works best when you're trying to memorise quotes, stats, and other details you want to remember. There's something about saying a quote in a different way that helps you remember things.
3. Essay plans: I remember having the longest list of essay questions for Modern (and every other subject I did lol) so I could write essay plans for them. This way, you cover a lot of content because questions are drawn from every part of the syllabus.

Hope this helps!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

raylmao

• Adventurer
  • et tu, brute?
  • Respect: 0
Re: Best ways to study for modern?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 04:10:24 pm »
+4
like above, write solid essay plans and then know the content to the extent to which you can reduce to a few words on a palm card. look at the themes and challenges closely of your national and international section, have strong judgements for all of the dot points with a prepared thesis and relevant content you will use to argue that point. For both the national and international study, I don't believe it is necessary to use historians... your judgement should be solid enough and thus namedropping a historian is not really needed...
For the personality, memorise section A (their background, education, rise to prominence)
and for section B, have a prepared judgement and the relevant historians you will use to argue this, but make sure you can adapt to any question you are given. For my exam last term, I had to drastically change my thesis and use a lot of historians I didn't want to use to answer the question and thus achieve full marks.
For WW1, just practice all the content and go over source analysis!! Good luck!!!
2018 HSC:
3U English, Modern History, History Extension, Legal Studies, Economics.