Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:11:56 pm

Author Topic: UMEP philosophy  (Read 1920 times)  Share 

Malheureux

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
UMEP philosophy
« on: February 25, 2018, 11:16:09 am »
Hi guys,
I'm abit new to AtarNotes and this is my first post, so if it's in the wrong place just let me know! :)
Anyways, I'm currently in year 11 and was just wondering about UMEP philosophy because I was thinking about doing it, but the only problem seems to be i am not doing VCE philosophy. My subjects are English, literature, psychology (3/4), French, legal studies and chemistry(which is the subject I'm planning to switch for UMEP philosophy). The only prerequisites are a humanities subject with an essay component and I would do UMEP psych, but I think that philosophy would be more interesting. I know that most people who have done it wouldn't recommend it, but i think it would be nice to hear people's thoughts and opinions anyways.
Thanks!

ash1198

• Adventurer
  • A philosophy aficionado.
  • Respect: 0
Re: UMEP philosophy
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 10:11:13 am »
Hey! I also want to study UMEP Philosophy next year. (I'm studying 3/4 Philosophy this year.)

Honestly I don't think you should be too worried about not having studied philosophy before. The subjects for the UMEP program are introductory and don't require prior philosophy knowledge. Considering you have both English and Literature as long as you maintain an A-average across one of them and a B+ average across all your subjects, you'll met the prerequisites no problem.

But if you're still concerned, perhaps you should consider reading some philosophy works/articles to help familiarise yourself with the style.

//Also if anyone has studied UMEP Philosophy please offer your advice!
2018: Philosophy [38]
2019: English, Mathematical Methods, Chemistry, Psychology and [?]

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 11:27:25 am »
+1
@appleandbee

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 09:01:22 pm »
+2
Hi there,

I completed UMEP Philosophy in 2015 but have done a few uni philosophy subjects since and have friends that have done Unimelb's first year Philosophy subjects.

If you are looking for a taster in Philosophy, UMEP Philosophy will probably serve its purpose (especially if your school doesn't offer VCE Phil). You get to try out the main areas of Philosophy across the two units. If you are doing VCE Philosophy, you probably won't like it much (from my friends who have done VCE Philosophy), as the content isn't as interesting and is covered in way less depth. The lecturers are fairly average, and tutors are hit and miss (although the semester 2 subject-The Great Thinkers is getting a new coordinator this year). In terms of assessment, it's basically three essays (choice between two philosophical questions each semester) and a take-home exam each semester. Those who have done VCE Philosophy will find the essay structure and writing a philosophical essay straightforward given that the advice isn't very detailed or clear (most people in the cohort haven't, done worry). It's a difficult subject to get a H1/80+ grade in even for people who are competent writers, although is probably isn't a big deal if you are just doing it as an extension subject. Also on the subject handbook for 'The Great Thinkers', the various philosophers that may be covered is listed down, however from experience only Kant and Plato is covered (although given that there is a new subject coordinator this year, things may be different).

If you are considering a Philosophy major it's probably a good option nonetheless, given that some of the 2nd year units are very good and doing UMEP Philosophy in VCE is a good excuse to put it on the backburner without the pressure of getting a high grade.

VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb