Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:41:18 pm

Author Topic: Trying to get a 90+ Atar  (Read 21584 times)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Trying to get a 90+ Atar
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 08:23:46 am »
+5
I'm sorry to hear that you were disapointed with how much you were able to get done but glad to hear that you were able to gain a lot of benefit from your tutor.

When you have high standards for yourself and your work ethic & hoped results are tied to your identity it can be highly difficult to deal with feeling like you've betrayed yourself.  Remember that the most important thing is not one day but the overall trend.

One of the most important skills of year 12 (& uni) is to know when to work and when to take a break; you have many months of learning this in front of you - it would be strange if you were already an expert.

I hope you both learn & forgive yourself

Seamus Wong

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 07:45:04 pm »
+3
Bri MT, I must agree with you.
Looking at the past week, I've noticed that overall, my focus has increased. I will ensure that my work next week is both more efficient and effective - having learnt from my mistakes last week.

This weekend was alright. I worked and got some money which is good.
I spent time with my family at my sisters birthday, which was also good.
I also managed to get in some more Accounting and English work.
I've done some short answer questions and submitted them to my teacher for feedback.
I must make sure that I spend some time and energy towards gathering examples for my English Language scrapbook to use in the end of year essay - This cannot consume longer than 1.5 hours of my time - I say this because when you are searching for contemporary language examples, it is easy to get off track and just start reading random irrelevant articles.

I will also attempt to get through another powerpoint.

Today I got through a big Powerpoint for English which definitely helped me consolidate some knowledge.

I am going to do some more accounting now and then go to the gym to workout.
I haven't been for two days because of work and the Party, so I'll train extra hard.

I'll give myself a productivity rating of 7.6/10 today. I must maintain this uptrend.

Seamus Wong

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 09:38:14 pm »
+3
I must be honest with myself.
I did not like how today was spent.
The thing that put me off was that in the morning, I decided to sit down on the couch and watch an episode of Kath & Kim - this show is absolutely hilarious.
The problem was that i let my emotions dictate my actions, which I try often not to do.
After watching it I didn't feel happy.
it's not about the time that was wasted, but more-so the fact that my actions didn't align with my plans.
But other than that, I feel as if today's time was spent well.
I completed some accounting reading and a set of homework questions, as well as some correction for some exercises that I had done in a previous chapter.

Correcting your work really just builds your confidence and enables you to correct any mistakes that you would have made at a later date if it weren't for the marking.

I collected some English Language Examples for my scrapbook. Both of which pertained to the use of language in politics and how it's strategically employed in order to fulfill the politicians' main objective - increasing votes. It was interesting to see that some politicians - Daniel Andrews - employ more casual and informal language to build a sense of intimacy with their audience, while others - Bill Shorten - employ more formal language, with the use of repetition of words to reinforce their ideas and authority, which works towards illustrating the degree of control they have or can have over problems that citizens of Australia want solved.

I won't workout today because I've got work to do on a business Case with the Queensland university of Technology.
This business case is really interesting, and I like working on it because it gets you to think creatively.

My productivity in the morning is a 2/10. The afternoon was a 5/10. After 3pm it rose to a solid 8/10. I'll try to work on keeping my productivity consistent throughout the whole day.

Seamus Wong

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 07:58:48 pm »
+3
Today was a good day.
I spent around 4 hours studying economics - going over past material (2 questions) and then doing pre-reading for the next outcome - Australia and the World Economy. I went over what Free Trade and Trade Liberalisation was, and how this can relate to improved living standards.
I rode my bike to shops and got a kebab, demolished it, and then read over some feedback for one of my weekly algorithmics assignments. I am not happy at all with the result, and although it wont contribute to my study score at all, it is still very disappointing that I achieved that score - especially considering the amount of time I spent on it and the fact that I actually looked at the rubric and tried to fulfill the 'high score' criteria. If I want to acheive at least a 33 in this subject, I'll need to increase my workload and do a lot more reading and application.

I did some more English Analysis, which I enjoyed.
I had to analyse the formal language features in a text of my choice, which I chose to be Ray Dalio's publication regarding his predictions for a US recession decreasing from 50% to only 35%.
This was really interesting. I sent my analysis to my teacher and hopefully he responds quickly.

I am now going to start a new English powerpoint, then go to the gym. If I have any energy after that, which I doubt I will since I'm training Legs today, then I'll do some Algorithmics - I might just code some recursive algorithms to challenge my mind.

Today's productivity rating is an 8.5/10. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 08:01:49 pm by Seamus Wong »

Seamus Wong

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 11:17:13 pm »
Today was a good day.
I spent around 4 hours studying economics - going over past material (2 questions) and then doing pre-reading for the next outcome - Australia and the World Economy. I went over what Free Trade and Trade Liberalisation was, and how this can relate to improved living standards.
I rode my bike to shops and got a kebab, demolished it, and then read over some feedback for one of my weekly algorithmics assignments. I am not happy at all with the result, and although it wont contribute to my study score at all, it is still very disappointing that I achieved that score - especially considering the amount of time I spent on it and the fact that I actually looked at the rubric and tried to fulfill the 'high score' criteria. If I want to acheive at least a 33 in this subject, I'll need to increase my workload and do a lot more reading and application.

I did some more English Analysis, which I enjoyed.
I had to analyse the formal language features in a text of my choice, which I chose to be Ray Dalio's publication regarding his predictions for a US recession decreasing from 50% to only 35%.
This was really interesting. I sent my analysis to my teacher and hopefully he responds quickly.

I am now going to start a new English powerpoint, then go to the gym. If I have any energy after that, which I doubt I will since I'm training Legs today, then I'll do some Algorithmics - I might just code some recursive algorithms to challenge my mind.

Today's productivity rating is an 8.5/10.

Just wrote some simple algorithms - one to calculate the mode of a set of integers and another recursive algorithm to find the n'th number of the fibonacci sequence. It is really cool how recursive algorithms work.

Seamus Wong

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 09:38:27 pm »
+2
I did more of my Algorithmics Assignment. This took me 3 hours, but a lot of that time was wasted trying to fix small issues that kept on arising with the code.
I think I will have it finished tomorrow.

I then ate some salami and chip sandwiches.
I fell asleep after eating because my muscles are all really sore after gym yesterday. This consumed two hours of my time and has sort of messed up my sleep schedule because now I won't be able to fall asleep until like 1:00 in the morning.

I started pre-reading for the next topic - Algorithmic Design for roughly 3 hours. It's pretty simple but also interesting and practical, especially in regard to the assignment that I'm currently doing.
I only really got started on my work today at 12:00. I stayed up too late last night and woke up late, then I played Minecraft for the first time in like a year. I built a cool modern house.

I'll finish some questions for Algorithmic's now and then do some reading for Economics for a couple of hours. I'll try to stay productive.

Again, being honest with myself, I'll have to rate today's productivity a measly 5/10, just because I wasted so much time in the morning when I knew that I have a lot of work to get done. That's procrastination. I have to try and beat it and hopefully get into a habit of just getting started with my work without second-guessing myself.

Mod Edit: Deleted duplicate post (Bri MT)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 07:32:45 am by Bri MT »

Seamus Wong

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2019, 12:21:47 am »
+2
Although I slept for a relatively short period of time last night 2:00am to 8:00am, I was able to stay productive for the whole day. I finished the first week of algorithmics content last night and wrote up some notes in the morning, doing some questions as well, which took me roughly 2 hours. After that, I did some economics questions, sent them to my teacher and got feedback straight away, which was a pleasant surprise since none of my other teachers have responded to any of my emails.
I did some more economics reading - The Balance of Payments. I had to read over it twice to wrap my head around it, but even then, I'll still need to do some more reading from other sources to solidify my understanding. I'll do this tonight and write up my notes tomorrow - I'll do some questions as well.
I am nearly finished with the Algorithmics assignment. I'm making progress, which is good, but it is so time consuming and some of it is actually quite tedious and boring tbh.
I'll send it to my Tutor and hopefully get some feedback on it before I actually submit it.

I didn't manage to do the English and Accounting work that I had planned to do, which is annoying. It feels as if my days are going way too quickly. I guess that's because I'm just focusing a lot more on my study.

I'm going to try and finish the algo assignment tonight or at least have it finished to the point where I only need to make minor adjustments tomorrow.
I'm definitely going to prioritise English Language and Accounting tomorrow after I finish off Economics notes and questions.

Today's productivity rating was a 9/10. I am pleased with this. I do hope I can maintain the same level of productivity and focus once the holidays are over.

Seamus Wong

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2019, 12:52:08 am »
Hmmm...
Time went really fast today. I think that was because I woke up later than usual 9:15am.
I feel stupid because the reason for this was that I was on my phone for like 20 minutes in bed before I slept, just watching random YouTube videos. When ever I go on my phone before bed, I find it difficult to open my eyes in the morning.
BUT, I won't do this again. I'm actually going to order an alarm clock online so I don't have an excuse to have my phone next to me while I sleep.

Anyway, I managed to stay relatively productive today. I wrote down the notes that I had planned to for Economics - Balance of Payments, but I spent like 3 hours trying to memorise and wrap my head around some of the concepts since it was really confusing. I had an unexpected trip to the other side of Melbourne today which took roughly 2 hours, making me a little tired. I exercised beforehand since I knew I would have no energy to workout after driving there.
I started doing more work on Accounting and am just finishing it up now. I think I did about 2.5 hours. I feel like I focused quite well today, but I'm not really happy with the day just because of how un structured it was and because of how much time was wasted here and there doing stuff around the house for my parents.
At least I know that tomorrow I can immediately get started on my English in the morning, probably at around 6:00am, hopefully getting it done before 8:00 am. I've gotta do somethings un-school related for the whole day, and so I want to get all my english done in the morning so I have nothing to worry about when I get back home.

Getting shit done feels so good. It motivates me to get even more shit done and to not procrastinate or waste time.
I'll give myself a productivity rating of 8/10.
Tomorrow morning needs to be at least a 9.

Seamus Wong

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2019, 09:13:53 pm »
Got English Done. Got Accounting done. Need to get Algorithmics fully touched up tomorrow.
Not working out today as I'm not near a gym currently.
Kinda annoyed that the majority of my day had to be spent away from home and away from my homework.
English Language is getting a bit easier for me - this is probably because the analysis of formal language is more formulaic compared to Informal Language OR because I just enjoy reading over formal texts and understanding the intentions behind them.

I want to do more English today just to get even further ahead and more familiar with the metalanguage and its application.

I'm glad I got through the amount of work that I did, considering the limited time that I had, but I have slacked a little bit tonight. Today I rate my productivity a 7/10. Not good. Must get better.

lst1103

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2019, 09:20:28 pm »
+2
It's great that you're fully committed to your education, but I think you need to be a bit easier on yourself! Diligence is fantastic, but don't be afraid to relax every once in a while - you don't want to burnout, especially so early in the year.

Seamus Wong

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2019, 10:35:38 am »
+3
Thanks, and I fully agree with you about taking some time to relax - which I do do sometimes. But I could post here and say that I am happy with the amount of work that I did but that wouldn't be me being honest with myself. I am very competitive and I like to be ahead and fully on top everything, so when I miss the opportunity to do that because of a personal decision it doesn't sit well with me.

Seamus Wong

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2019, 08:28:48 pm »
+1
Woke up
Did pre-reading for accounting - regarding the closing of Revenue and Expense Ledger Accounts, and the P&L Summary account used to determine profit for a reporting period.
I spent about 2 hours reading, highlighting and doing questions. Some of the questions did my head in because I didn't feel confident in my ability to answer with the level of depth that I usually do. I think that's because I was tired and because my brain was a little exhausted after doing all the reading.

I had a shower to refresh my mind.

Afterwards, I wrote up 3 big posters for English - Stylistic features: Phonological Patterning, Syntactic Patterning, Lexical and Semantic Patterning.
This took me roughly one hour.

I ate some food.

I then took another look at my Algorithmics assignment, checked it against the rubric again, and decided to alter it one more time, just to ensure I had included everything that I interpreted the rubric to want. This took me roughly one hour.
I decided to begin studying for the SAC that I have next week Tuesday by looking over the study design, highlighting the areas that I knew where going to be most relevant - Searching Algorithms - and began writing up some summary notes on the algorithms. I have the two initial search algorithms, Depth First Search and Breadth First Search perfectly understood, with the pseudocode memorised. These are the easiest algorithms to memorise.
Since I have already completed the first week of Algorithmics content for term 2, I'll spend half of my class time revision for the SAC by doing what I've done today, as well as reading over some extra material that I have gathered and doing checkpoint questions from the resources. The other half of my time will be spent going over the coursework for week 2 - Correctness of Algorithms - Inductive proofs and proof by contradiction.

Now I am going to go over another English powerpoint for one hour. Then I'll work out, eat, watch a video on YouTube or play Minecraft, given I have enough time - I never thought that I'd say this, but I feel like playing Minecraft and building shit is actually good at relaxing my brain and re-energising.

Today's productivty rating is probably a 8.5/10. Would've been higher if I could have done more Accounting questions and have gotten up earlier to have enough time to do more economics.

Tomorrow I have the whole day off, so I'll most likely spend the majority of my time doing Algorithmics, just because I want to get a better score on the next SAC than the one I got on the first SAC.
I do need to do some more economics to make up for today.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 08:30:39 pm by Seamus Wong »

Seamus Wong

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2019, 09:08:52 pm »
+2
today went too quickly.
I feel like I didn't get much done. I think it's because I wasn't fully focused and began doing mindless activities like doodling on my page for a couple of minutes every 20 minutes, or searching up a random question online. This is really annoying. I Got too laid-back after having a good day yesterday. Must NOT let this happen again.

I did a fair bit of algorithmics though to be fair, maybe around 3 hours. I did an hour and a half of english. And then spent maybe 3 hours both eating and sleeping. I'll do a workout now - legs - and then pack my bag for the first day of school. I've gotta stay on top of my work for if I fail to stay ahead, I will feel demotivated. Last term I didn't use my time productively enough. I will not repeat the same mistake.
As Leonardo Da Vincci said, Learning Never Exhausts the Mind, so I shall continue focusing on learning and understanding, rather than attempting to just push through work for the sake of it. I've got four subjects this year so this should leave me with no excuses about not having enough time.

Anyway, I will be here tomorrow to rate my productivity on a school day, which requires a different approach to achieve than at home.

Because I failed to maintain consistency in the morning, I will rate my productivity a miserable 6/10.

Seamus Wong

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2019, 04:31:57 pm »
+1
School was good.
I had two frees in the morning, which I spent on Economics pre-reading and Algorithmics study - 1 and a half hours for Economics and roughly 30 minutes with algorithmics.

Economics SAC 2 Result

I finally got my Econ sac back - Aggregate Demand, Aggregate Supply, and Australia's domestic macroeconomic Goals.
I got 25/30, the second highest grade in the class. The highest was 28. I am really pissed off because I could've easily gotten a 30, and I knew way more than all the other kids in my grade. I lost so many marks for silly errors and for not reading the question entirely - the latter will not happen ever again. But to be fair, our teacher marks REALLY harshly, which is good, because it enables the class to understand exactly what to write when it comes to the exam.
I was stressing so hard for the result, and when I got the A, I was really upset. I was happy that I'm at least second in terms of ranking for the sac, and first out of my whole cohort for the subject.
- the next sac will require a greater degree of focus, WAY more prereading and questions, and a lot more study.

Accounting was annoying because I had emailed my teacher maybe 7 days ago asking what we would be covering for our first class back - today, and he did not reply. We went over Performance indicators - Accounts Receivable and Payable Turnover and Inventory Turnover.
Quite simple - but I wish I knew that we where doing it so I could've preread and asked some more questions.
We also went over strategies to use to answer questions relating to analysing business performance.
I am going to make some posters for it now actually.

We had an ANZAC ceremony which took about an hour.
Was interesting to see some of the stuff our soldiers are doing right now while deployed in countries such as Iraq and Afghanistan.

English Language was great. We went over some stylistics features and my teacher gave me feedback for some analysis that I had emailed her over the break.
I need to do some more analysis tonight.

Homework Tonight

- Accounting Posters
- Accounting Questions from textbook
- Algorithmics Study
- English Language Analysis
- Economics pre-read (if I have time)

Other stuff

- Workout - Chest, Shoulders, Biceps

Today's school productivity rating is an 8.5/10. Could've been better if I didn't talk with my friends in the morning for 10 minutes.
I will post another review after I finish everything tonight.

Seamus Wong

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2019, 10:08:53 pm »
- I got through algorithmics which took me about 2.5 hours.
- Ate food and relaxed after eating cos I was really full //  30 minutes
- Went over English analysis feedback AND did some analysis // 20 minutes
- Wrote Accounting notes (not enough) // 15 minutes

Need to workout now.

I feel like I lost too much time between tasks.
I really need to manage my time after school better.
I didn't muck around but I didn't get as much as I wanted done.
I gotta improve my dynamic efficiency as well as my technical efficiency (economics reference)

Productivity: 7.6/10.