Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:31:01 am

Author Topic: overloading/taking summer/winter classes  (Read 2515 times)  Share 

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
overloading/taking summer/winter classes
« on: February 21, 2017, 03:39:41 pm »
+1
Hey guys,

I would like to hear from different people and their varying experiences with overloading or taking intensive summer/winter classes. I know it would obviously be not an easy thing to do, and I know it depends on your course/degree and your university, but I would like  to hear people's thoughts on it and if they know/have any friends who did so.
- was it hard to manage?
- would you recommend it?
etc

The main reason I'm considering overloading or taking summer/winter classes is because I would like to to graduate early (if possible lol ambitious), or at least give myself a lighter workload (underloading) during my final years/semesters.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 03:41:29 pm by strawberries »
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: overloading/taking summer/winter classes
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 03:48:01 pm »
+3
I have done a few summer units over my time. I recently just completed an entire semester over summer. I feel like it is important to do if you want to graduate early - however it's all in your mind, really (e.g. the fact that you are working hard whilst everyone else is having a holiday). Summer/Winter classes tend to be less organised than the ones in the mainstream semesters (from my own experience).

It also depends on the discipline. I did one summer unit in the middle of my degree (IT) and that was pretty good. The summer semester I just did, however, I felt was quite disorganised. The structure of the summer semester was basically six intensive periods per unit, where they would cover around 2 weeks worth of content. The assignment deadlines conflicted with key periods such as my birthday and the christmas break, which made things a little bit more difficult as I usually go away at this time of year. I guess you have to consider the issues you would face by doing a summer unit and go from there.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 03:49:59 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 12:21:26 am »
+2
Doing a summer subject was easier imo, allowed me to focus on it more.

Doing an intensive when you haven't got other subjects to worry about isn't that bad.

Overloading is always difficult from what I've heard - don't do it unless you absolutely have to.

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 01:37:34 am »
+2
Hey guys,

I would like to hear from different people and their varying experiences with overloading or taking intensive summer/winter classes. I know it would obviously be not an easy thing to do, and I know it depends on your course/degree and your university, but I would like  to hear people's thoughts on it and if they know/have any friends who did so.
- was it hard to manage?
- would you recommend it?
etc

The main reason I'm considering overloading or taking summer/winter classes is because I would like to to graduate early (if possible lol ambitious), or at least give myself a lighter workload (underloading) during my final years/semesters.

i wanted to do something similiar but i found that the exponential increase in effort and workload from overloading was not worth graduating early. on the other hand i found doing one or even two summer school subjects was a great way to lower my study load to 3 subjects in a semester. if you really want to graduate early i would recommend doing 1 winter subject in year 1, 3 summer subjects that summer, 1 more winter subject the following year, and then again 3 more summer subjects that summer or maybe overload in one of the semester and only do 2 subjects in the first summer break, that way youll be ready to graduate around february instead of november in your final year and is probably easier than 5 subjects during the semester. i found doing 2 subjects over summer far easier than doing 3 during the semester so i cant imagine 3 during summer would be harder then 5 during the semester.

best of luck

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 10:43:00 am »
+3
I did a non-intensive summer unit (i.e., still took like 8-12 weeks).

Easy as pie, doing only one unit at a time. Seriously.

Overloading - not about it.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

MagicGecko

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • W3$T $IDe I$ B3$T $!D3
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 09:09:33 pm »
+2
I may have had the unfortunate privilege of failing a unit and I may have had to overload to compensate for it.  ;)
From what I experienced, overloading wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, differences was something like this:
- Added about an extra hour to my usual study time
- Stayed at school longer because of more classes
- had to do a couple extra assignments
Essentially its not so different from doing the usual 4 subjects, as long as you don't procrastinate till the last minute, because if you do, then you will really feel the strain of overloading.

2013-2016:
Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical)(Honours) @ RMIT

~Full-Time Biomedical Engineer~

"im not crying there’s just overpriced college education in my eye" ~ abigalmills-tumblr