Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 08:25:37 am

Author Topic: Starting Unit 3 & 4 without 1 & 2 Help  (Read 1130 times)  Share 

andreag

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Starting Unit 3 & 4 without 1 & 2 Help
« on: January 20, 2019, 04:23:04 pm »
Could someone please give me tips/help on how to catch up on Literature unit 3 & 4 as I missed out on 1 & 2. Is there anything important I missed? Any key information? Best ways to study? Concepts I need to study? Anything at all I need to know to do well in 3&4?

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
Re: Starting Unit 3 & 4 without 1 & 2 Help
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 12:16:32 am »
+8
Hi there!! :) I did literature 3/4 last year without 1/2 and found it to be pretty manageable after a few weeks. As I never did 1/2 I don’t really know what you would’ve missed out on (though apparently it’s pretty similar - 5 SACs: creative, comparative, close passage (x2), and literary perspectives). Anyway here’s what I did to catch up that could also work for you:

~ read ALL your texts over the holidays (which is coming to an end soon! Hurry if you haven’t already!)

~ write a summary of some sort for each text. Personally I used a table where I summed up the following points:
characters, setting, plot, structure, notable themes and oppositions, historical context, and author’s biography.

~ read over the study design and past examiner’s reports. Tbh I found exam reports to be more helpful as they tell you exactly what VCAA is looking for, WITH EXAMPLES.

~ for any collection of stories or poems that you’re studying, create a mind map and link together any similar ideas presented in each story or poem.

~ if you have time, watch a film/stage adaptation for your texts. I know some people don’t recommend this (keep in mind no adaptation can cover the entirety of the text, and will sometimes add new scenes) but it’s good to reflect on these changes. This is also good preparation for the Adaptations and Transformations SAC.

~ start collecting essays from past students. Analyse them and see what they did to score high marks. Alternatively you can also get some lower scoring ones. Again, I know some people don’t recommend this, but I found it helpful in telling me what I should NOT do.

Good luck with literature :))

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

andreag

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Starting Unit 3 & 4 without 1 & 2 Help
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 10:58:05 am »
+2
Hi there!! :) I did literature 3/4 last year without 1/2 and found it to be pretty manageable after a few weeks. As I never did 1/2 I don’t really know what you would’ve missed out on (though apparently it’s pretty similar - 5 SACs: creative, comparative, close passage (x2), and literary perspectives). Anyway here’s what I did to catch up that could also work for you:

~ read ALL your texts over the holidays (which is coming to an end soon! Hurry if you haven’t already!)

~ write a summary of some sort for each text. Personally I used a table where I summed up the following points:
characters, setting, plot, structure, notable themes and oppositions, historical context, and author’s biography.

~ read over the study design and past examiner’s reports. Tbh I found exam reports to be more helpful as they tell you exactly what VCAA is looking for, WITH EXAMPLES.

~ for any collection of stories or poems that you’re studying, create a mind map and link together any similar ideas presented in each story or poem.

~ if you have time, watch a film/stage adaptation for your texts. I know some people don’t recommend this (keep in mind no adaptation can cover the entirety of the text, and will sometimes add new scenes) but it’s good to reflect on these changes. This is also good preparation for the Adaptations and Transformations SAC.

~ start collecting essays from past students. Analyse them and see what they did to score high marks. Alternatively you can also get some lower scoring ones. Again, I know some people don’t recommend this, but I found it helpful in telling me what I should NOT do.

Good luck with literature :))

Aaah thank you! This is so helpful!  :D ;D